"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
Master Chef

I'd say buy a pork, what is it part called, the one that is from rear leg? Season it a night before, stuff it with som ecloves of garlic, and in the morning put it in the oven before going to church. Cooke it covered at about 325-350.
Make mashed potato ahead of time, takes only few minutes to worm it up in the oven. If you put mushrooms on the botom of the pork, bu the time you come home you'll have an awesome gravy for mashed potatoe with mushrooms. It will be supper yummy.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I haven't made one in quite a few years, but I think I may stuff a fresh ham with greens this year.

Are you talking about "Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham"?
Corned Ham stuffed with cabbage, kale, onions and spices?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Head Chef

Hi Patty, No not a true Southern Md corned ham, just a fresh ham prepared the same way with kale, collards, mustard greens ect....
I would like to try it one day though. I think that I may be able to order one from the grocery store if I give them enough notice.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Hi Patty, No not a true Southern Md corned ham, just a fresh ham prepared the same way with kale, collards, mustard greens ect....
I would like to try it one day though. I think that I may be able to order one from the grocery store if I give them enough notice.
I accidently stuffed a fresh ham once. Really they are just a pork roast. It diffently not the same. Just take a ride down to St. Mary's County and pick one up. You probably can get one in Charles County also.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I am trying to plan a buffet for Easter. There will be 10 of us, and I have very limited space.
Can you give me some suggestions for dishes that can be prepared early? We will all be going to Church and I won't get home until 1p.m. or so and will be having people over at 3pm.

Any help will be appreciated.

Lyndalou
Since it is the first holiday in spring/summer, I would go with the picnic theme. Deviled Eggs, Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Macaroni Salad, Baked Beans, Three Bean Salad ect., all of which can be made in advance.Baked Ham and/or a Oven Stuffer Roaster for the meats. IMHO
Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

We are planning picnic style, ham,deviled eggs,potato and a macaroni salad, stuffed onions,relish trays,foccacia,salami,mortadella,copa,fontina and tallagio cheeses tray,I've already made and frozen my pasta sauce so as wild as it may seem we are also having a big bowl of linguine and red meat sauce, some of the usual artichoke with chopped garlic,parsley,in butter and evoo. More to come I'm sure...desserts, pies of course and a coconut cake.
kadesma
Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
We are planning picnic style, ham,deviled eggs,potato and a macaroni salad, stuffed onions,relish trays,foccacia,salami,mortadella,copa,fontina and tallagio cheeses tray,I've already made and frozen my pasta sauce so as wild as it may seem we are also having a big bowl of linguine and red meat sauce, some of the usual artichoke with chopped garlic,parsley,in butter and evoo. More to come I'm sure...desserts, pies of course and a coconut cake.
kadesma
Oh, oh, do you have a recipe for Coconut Cake? I have been looking for a good recipe. I also am looking for a good white cake recipe, preferably White Sour Cream Cake.TYIA
Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I am trying to plan a buffet for Easter. There will be 10 of us, and I have very limited space.
Can you give me some suggestions for dishes that can be prepared early? We will all be going to Church and I won't get home until 1p.m. or so and will be having people over at 3pm.
All these can be prepared ahead and cooked/reheated or served cold/room temperature

Ham

Turkey

Rolls / rye bread

Deviled eggs

chilled asparagus

beets

apple sauce

scallooped potatoes

quiche / mini quiches

Fritata

anything you can serve out of a crock pot can be kept warm (soup, stew, cabbage)

cake or cookies for desert
Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Oh, oh, do you have a recipe for Coconut Cake? I have been looking for a good recipe. I also am looking for a good white cake recipe, preferably White Sour Cream Cake.TYIA
Hi Patty,
I'm sorry I just saw your post. I don't have a recipe a friend is bringing the cake. I'll ask her but I'm not sure if she will share, Fingers crossed
kades
Old 03-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Hi Patty,
I'm sorry I just saw your post. I don't have a recipe a friend is bringing the cake. I'll ask her but I'm not sure if she will share, Fingers crossed
kades

Thank you.