"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Head Chef

Easter Menu

I am trying to plan a buffet for Easter. There will be 10 of us, and I have very limited space.
Can you give me some suggestions for dishes that can be prepared early? We will all be going to Church and I won't get home until 1p.m. or so and will be having people over at 3pm.

Any help will be appreciated.

Lyndalou

Old 03-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Easter is probably the best of the big holiday dinners for making ahead of time. We're having guests this year as well, so I'm going with turkey and spiral cut ham for the entrees. Normally it would be one or the other. In any event, both can be done ahead.

Beyond that, there's dressing (I don't do stuffing..ick), candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, potato salad, cloverleaf rolls, creamed peas, deviled eggs, Harvard beets, cole slaw, cranberries and assorted garnishes. Everything except cooking the turkey, the mashed potatoes and peas will be done ahead of time. Setting the table will take longer on Easter day than preparing the food.

I still haven't figured out dessert yet, but that part's always easy. Probably pies and home made ice cream.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm at a loss. SO doesn't want turkey. One daughter doesn't want ham. One daughter suggested chicken marsala, but SIL doesn't like mushrooms or onions.

I guess I could do a roast beef.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Cook

How many people are you feeding Andy?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

You can prepare everything ahead of time. Ham is the traditional meat for Easter. You can buy this precooked or cook yourself ahead. Arrange ham slices on an oven proof platter ahead of time and put in refrigerator. Then it will be ready to go directly to oven.

You can also have scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes (by adding cream cheese they stay creamyHow to cook potatoes, How to cook Cabbage, Eggplant recipes) or sweet potatoes or all. These can all be made ahead of time, refrigerated ready for microwave or oven.

You can have one or more vegetables cooked and ready to go in oven, on top of stove or microwave; maybe a green bean or broccoli casserole or simple bowls of cooked vegetables.

You must have a green salad. This can be cleaned, cut, drained and placed in a plastic bag to store in refrigerator the day before. It will be crispy and nice to serve. Note: Use romaine or head lettuce for crispness.

Have a Great Easter!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
How many people are you feeding Andy?
Five adults and a 3 year-old.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Five adults and a 3 year-old.
My mother, who's Scottish but thoroughly believes she's Italian would be the first to suggest a nice big pan of lasagna.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the idea but I don't care for it.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Head Chef

I haven't made one in quite a few years, but I think I may stuff a fresh ham with greens this year.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Plans incomplete....but will include fresh asparagus, and strawberry shortcake!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote