"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm a big fan of salad, pasta salad and fruit salads during the summer.

Insalada caprese pasta salad - add fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil, s&p to cooked, drained pasta of choice. Watermelon, feta cheese, nicoise olives, & balsamic. Tomato, cucumber, red onion salad - add cooked cooled pasta, oil & vinegar. Antipasta pasta salad - black olives, chunks of mozzarella, or fresh grated parmesan, slices of salami, sun-dried tomatoes, Italian dressing - mixed with biow tie pasta.

When it's too hot to turn on the oven, pick up a rotisserie chicken, remove the skin and shred in bite-sized pieces and make chicken salad - add ins - sliced avocados, strawberries, mixed greens, grapes, walnuts - or a grilled chicken salad. Chinese chicken salad, nicoise pasta salad, panzanella -- add grilled asparagus, cukes, tomatoes, red onions, kalamatas, capers, red wine vinegar & olive oil, S&P.

Cold soups - cucumber, peach, gazpacho

Seafood salads - cooked bay shrimp &/or crab meat, sliced hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, sliced avocado, lemon wedges on mixed greens with Thousand Island dressing.

Anything on the grill - Shish kebob - chicken, beef, shrimp - thread with veggies of choice - i.e. mushrooms, onions, etc & serve w rice. Ribs come out fall-off-the bone good in a CP, if you don't have a grill & it's too hot to cook.

A picnic meal I like - rotisserie chicken, tomato pie (posted on this site) cold macaroni or potato salad, coleslaw, a green salad & Sangria. Well, that's for starters I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:36 AM   #12
Master Chef

I assume those of you who are talking about summer tomatoes must live in places much more tropical than where I live, because mine aren't even a foot high, much less producing. Actually, I have spent much of my life in places a lot more tropical, and growing tomatoes was difficult, and the results didn't taste near as good as the ones I grow here. But there is well over a month before the garden bears fruit.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I ditto everything Mish said, well except for the cold soups which I can't seem to appreciate. I just love all the fresh fruits and veggies, all the variations of salads and outdoor grilling. This time of year is the best IMO!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I assume those of you who are talking about summer tomatoes must live in places much more tropical than where I live, because mine aren't even a foot high, much less producing. Actually, I have spent much of my life in places a lot more tropical, and growing tomatoes was difficult, and the results didn't taste near as good as the ones I grow here. But there is well over a month before the garden bears fruit.
That's true Claire, it takes warm sun and tender care to get those sweet juicy summer tomatoes. That is why I posted the recipe I did. I use romas and the brown sugar helps bring out that sweetness. There is nothing like a big juicy sweet summer tomatoe..Mine are fairly good size, but we are needing the evenings to stay warm to help them ripen. Til then I just dream of a tomatoe pie

kadesma
Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Another thing I like to do is make a gazpacho using my meat grinder attachment for my KA Mixer. Cucumbers, red peppers, tomatoes, red onion or spring onion, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, red wine vinegar, etc.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Another thing I like to do is make a gazpacho using my meat grinder attachment for my KA Mixer. Cucumbers, red peppers, tomatoes, red onion or spring onion, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, red wine vinegar, etc.
Another Gazpacho lover

Here's a cool video.

Sclipo: how-to make original Gazpacho in 5 min

Caution - That's one loud blender

This Crispy Skin Salmon on Warm Potato Mushroom Salad looks delish:

Sclipo: How to Cook a Crispy Skin Salmon on Warm Potato Mushroom Salad

Just for fun - Broc soup w cheddar croutons:

Sclipo: How to Cook a Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Croutons
Old 06-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Personally, I try to cook outdoors as much as possible during the summer, as it helps keep the house cooler, and is usually a very "quick" cook.