"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-25-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Eating off the bone...

My mother could spend half a hour gnawing on a steak or lamb chop bone. I must admit, I am my mother's daughter. I prefer all meat to be roasted and served on the bone. All the flavour comes from the bones.. I mentioned in another thread that I have a collection of all the lamb chop bones I've taken from various restaurants. Consider that I'm more vampyre than human, it makes perfect sense that I'd prefer rare meat, still on the bone. But, how many of you will actually work on that bone in public? I will...no problem.

Any one else prefer the meat on the bone??

Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Pick me! Pick me! Pick me! Looooooooooove meat on the bone and will unashamedly eat it in public. "Let them eat cake."

Oh, I'll eat that with my fingers, too, if need be.

I relish the legs of our holiday turkey. Bonus...it even gives me a built-in toothpick. Long live King Henry VIII.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'm a bone in person, too. My butcher offers rib steak bone-in on Fridays and Saturdays and I am usually there for them. Lamb chops, likewise. Gnaw the bone? I have no compunctions, public or not; it's the best part. I don't go so far as to collect bones, though...
Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm a gnaw the meat on the bone girl too. Give me the piece of chicken with the most bones and that's my favorite. I LOVE to pick at the back and neck, along with the part of the breast that is bonier than the other part - though I prefer the dark meat. A rare t-bone that still has some marrow is certainly a bonus or a nice piece of bone-in rare roast beef....bone-in pork chops, nice and thick!!!!

I do, however, have a problem with gnawing in public when at a nice restaurant. Well, with reckless abandon anyway. I have been known to take the bones home and "have at it". When at our favorite bar type places the poor wings don't stand a chance though - and give me the part with the two bones, someone else can have the drumette/leg part.

OK - collection of bones? Where do you keep these bones VB? Now you've got me curious!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I love to gnaw bones I dont care where I am.I remember my my grand father in Germany gnawing on big bones and sucking out the marrow.The marrow is awsome Ive been been trying to make a great soup that my grandmother made in Germany its made with beef shank and root vegetables you scrape the marrow out and melt it mix with bread crumbs etc and make these great dumplings to go with soup.Absolutly delicious but I have yet to refine it.She also added something called gruen corn? I think its spelt not sure.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Much like kitchenelf i LOVE chicken bones lol lamb bones are gooood too.
don't chew them in public though. don't think i eat them at restaurants lol.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I mentioned in another thread that I have a collection of all the lamb chop bones I've taken from various restaurants.

Gris Gris ??

I buy predominately bone-in meats for superior taste & flavor. I am a bone gnawer, but not a collector.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I love to gnaw bones I dont care where I am.I remember my my grand father in Germany gnawing on big bones and sucking out the marrow.The marrow is awsome Ive been been trying to make a great soup that my grandmother made in Germany its made with beef shank and root vegetables you scrape the marrow out and melt it mix with bread crumbs etc and make these great dumplings to go with soup.Absolutly delicious but I have yet to refine it.She also added something called gruen corn? I think its spelt not sure.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
My Papa, grandpa, was Austrian/Croatian and called the marrow "music." When we had soup he always encouraged us to eat the music. Yum.

Grandma, Maga, always made the most wonderful soups. I can still taste them.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Don't tend to order things with bones in when I'm out as a rule, so a moot point. At home, definitely a gnawer. And when it comes to marrow in the bones, I'm a sucker and stabber too!!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 AM   #10
Master Chef

It totally depends on the situation ... in a fine dining restaurant, one where a coat is mandatory - or one where after-5 attire is more appropriate, then no. Of course, in a place like that - if the meal has a marrow bone, they generally also include a small knife or fork to extricate that luscious meat jelly.

If it's a place where the only dress code is you have to wear a shirt and shoes ... then I'm likely to pick it up and gnaw away with the rest of the Neanderthals crouched around in their family units.

Of course, fried chicken is meant to be eaten with the hands - along with BBQ ribs and chicken.

One of the reasons I want to go to Toronto is to find the restaurant that Rachal Ray visited that has marrow bones on the menu. Grandma used to get them from her brothers when they slaughtered a cow - she got them to cut them into about 2-inch pieces, then she would roast them, and she and I would make a meal of them with crispy dry toast triangles. That was not just comfort food - that was good eats!