"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Here you go Licia,

Dutch Baby Pancakes [tried&true]
Serving size 2

Batter
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
2 lg eggs
1 1/2 TBL sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 TBL unsalted butter

TOPPING
Confectioners Sugar
Sliced Peaches,Nectarines,Raspberries, or Blueberries or Lemon Wedges

Preheat oven to 450 degrees 15 minutes before baking,have rack in middle of oven.Have a 10 inchglass pie plate or cast iron skillet ready.
Mix milk,flour,eggs,sugar in food processcor,blender or with whisk .[I use whisk.]
Batter can be made a day ahead and refridgerated.
Put butter in pan and put in hot oven until melted.Brush the butter up the sides and onto rim of pan
so entire inside is well coated.
Slowly pour batter into pie plate or pan and bake 20 minutes.
Reduce oven to 350 degrees and continue baking untill pancake is well browned and cooked in center,8 to 10 minutes longer.
Remove from oven and sift confectioner sugar on .
Serve immediately, with fruit spooned in center or with lemon wedges.

I like to have the option of syrup or whipped cream or vanilla yogurt to go with it
Another filling option is saute green apples in butter cook thru and add either brown sugar or maple syrup and cinnamon to apples.Put apple filling in pancakes serve with lemon wedges. Really delicious.

I have also used teflon coated cake pans.and have actually made up to 4 at a time.
Ive never made the batter the day before so I dont know how that turns out.
Its easy very much like a popover.

I made a note at the bottom of recipe where I bake them at a straight 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes instead the instructions above.
Dont be afraid to put lots of powdered sugar on them if you want

Old 02-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
Master Chef

I'd start the meal with fresh asparagus, sauteed in olive oil with minced garlic, S&P, then steamed by squeezing fresh lemon juice over the top, reducing the heat, and covering with lid. When crisp tender, I'd serve on a bed of pretty lettuce with a few pimento strips and a sprinkle of freshly grated or peeled parmesan cheese on top.
Along with that, I'd serve crostini with a choice of two toppings: Creole mushrooms, or venison salami with a good mustard.

Since we have such nice venison available, I'd probably make pan-seared venison medallions simmered in a light tomato/wine sauce and topped with caramelized sweet onions. With that, I'd serve oven-roasted vegetables (sweet red peppers, baby Yukon Gold Potatoes, and baby carrots).

My dessert would have to be apple crumb pie a la mode. It's the best thing I make.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Sounds delicious Constance.

I cook alot for other people,my job and they love it but have you ever got tired of your own cooking? I know I do even basic scrambled eggs taste better to me if I didnt hafto to make them.Sometimes I work so hard at a menu the shopping the prepping the final cooking of meal that Im not impressed with myself or the meal. I know its good but just can not get into it.By that point Im not even hungry anymore
I might hafto start a new thread on this subject.I dont live in a place where I can just go out and eat 45 miles one way to a really tiny town so I cook all meals at home if we have a pot luck at the ranch I am in heaven when there are other people cooking different dishes.
Your menu made my mouth water but you would hafto make it, I would be in heaven especially if I didn't hafto help with cleanup afterwards.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Sounds wonderful Constance.

jpmcgrew, since I don't "cook" every day ... often I just heat up lesft overs for myself, I really enjoy the two or three times I really cook each week. I am also not cooking for a large and finicky family. And I think all these considerations often make a difference.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Robo, Me and Hubby also eat left overs for a couple of days and they always are better to me because I didnt hafto to cook that night.Even something like butter bean soup with ham hocks is something I could eat several times in a row.Bless his heart as he does not demand a new meal every night.
Hubby knows how to cook but a funny thing happened when he married me he all of of a sudden forgot how to cook.
Imagine that!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Sounds delicious Constance.

I cook alot for other people,my job and they love it but have you ever got tired of your own cooking? I know I do even basic scrambled eggs taste better to me if I didnt hafto to make them.Sometimes I work so hard at a menu the shopping the prepping the final cooking of meal that Im not impressed with myself or the meal. I know its good but just can not get into it.By that point Im not even hungry anymore
I might hafto start a new thread on this subject.I dont live in a place where I can just go out and eat 45 miles one way to a really tiny town so I cook all meals at home if we have a pot luck at the ranch I am in heaven when there are other people cooking different dishes.
Your menu made my mouth water but you would hafto make it, I would be in heaven especially if I didn't hafto help with cleanup afterwards.

I know exactly how you feel, my friend. By the time I get done with a Christmas or Thanksgiving meal, I can't even eat. It doesn't look good until the next day.
And I do enjoy somebody else's cooking.

If I made this meal for you, I would supply you with the beverage of your choice, and you and my husband would sit at the "T" and chop vegies. You might also have to get up occasionaly to stir a sauce.
Since I'm all stove up, friends alway have to help, but it's a good time for everyone.
People always tell me they feel at home in our house.

PS...if we do this meal on a Thursday, the cleaning woman will be in on Friday to clean up the mess. LOL!
And we have a dishwasher. And I clean up as I go along.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:33 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Thanks

JP,Thanks so much for the dutch baby recipe.

Constance, I've never heard anyone else say that about a holiday meal, but thought I was the only one. I get tired of the smells and actually being so involved in so much cooking at that time. Leftovers are always better to me than the actual holiday meal.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I'd start the meal with fresh asparagus, sauteed in olive oil with minced garlic, S&P, then steamed by squeezing fresh lemon juice over the top, reducing the heat, and covering with lid. When crisp tender, I'd serve on a bed of pretty lettuce with a few pimento strips and a sprinkle of freshly grated or peeled parmesan cheese on top.
Along with that, I'd serve crostini with a choice of two toppings: Creole mushrooms, or venison salami with a good mustard.

Since we have such nice venison available, I'd probably make pan-seared venison medallions simmered in a light tomato/wine sauce and topped with caramelized sweet onions. With that, I'd serve oven-roasted vegetables (sweet red peppers, baby Yukon Gold Potatoes, and baby carrots).

My dessert would have to be apple crumb pie a la mode. It's the best thing I make.
Constance I am not famous,but I would love to have some of your ellegant dinner it sounds heavenly...
Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #19
Senior Cook

stuffed cornish game hen
Old 03-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #20
Master Chef

I'm glad everyone feels the same as I do. I love to cook, but also love not to cook. If I was cooking for someone I really needed to impress, I would do something I know would turn out perfect. A roast chicken (or, a variation, cornish games hens) with a simple lemon inisde and garlic cloves is a favorite. Then I do the sides to match the guest. Roasted potatoes for the un-adventurous, but couscous for those with more flair. Quite often, spagetti with my own red sauce. If children are involved, we make the pasta from scratch, and they always love doing it. I never make a roast (beef or pork) because I have had too many rare/medium/well done arguments in my life to want to go through one more. So roasted poultry or pasta with red sauce get my vote. (I know, those of you in Italy will say that the pasta should be the first course, the roasted chicken the second. Thank heaven I don't have to work quite that hard!!). A green veggie (hubby's favorite is brussels sprouts) to round out the meal. Seasonal -- in the winter, straight out of the freezer and into the microwave. I might add that orange juice -- yes, even right out of the frozen can -- is a great flavoring for cruciferous vegs. There will always be a salad with a light olive oil/wine vinegar dressing. Other ingredients to the salad are seasonal. If I'm making something that requires last minute prep, then instead of the leafy salad, I make a cucumber/mushroom marinaded salad, and add some shrimp at the last minute, so that it 'qualifies' as a full course. If I needed one more course, I'd put in a simple soup. Hubby makes a great French onion soup, and you can stick it in the freezer and thaw and heat it in the microwave. Desert I'd either buy (I happen to have a neighbor who is a professional cheescake maker), or put out a cheese, nuts, fruit and port.