"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Question Elegant Menu

just suppose you have been asked to make a very ellegant dinner for a very famous person,what would you make?just the menu only (no recipes needed)

Old 02-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Well... I would figure that the very famous person had fancy dinners all the time and that he needed a simple good home cooked meal.

I'd make him or her a bowl of my world famous ( ok...it's only famous in my house) clam chowder and serve it with some good warm French bread and a spinach salad. Dessert would be a Lemon pie and Earl Gray tea.

Or Greek Leg of lamb with roasted potatoes, Greek salad, Greek zucchine, Rice and berries and for dessert Baklava and Greek Twisty cookies!

Either way.. he'd leave happy and full.

What would you make Kim?

Old 02-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I would make maybe a seafood platter.with fish gumbo and serve rice
and warm biscuits,hush puppies,bar-b-q beans,slaw... and key lime pie for dessert...
Old 02-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Well... I would figure that the very famous person had fancy dinners all the time and that he needed a simple good home cooked meal.

I'd make him or her a bowl of my world famous ( ok...it's only famous in my house) clam chowder and serve it with some good warm French bread and a spinach salad. Dessert would be a Lemon pie and Earl Gray tea.

Or Greek Leg of lamb with roasted potatoes, Greek salad, Greek zucchine, Rice and berries and for dessert Baklava and Greek Twisty cookies!

Either way.. he'd leave happy and full.

What would you make Kim?
very ellegant if you ask me PDS
Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Thats a tough question.I say make what you make best.I have actually cooked 2 years ago for some one famous but not as well known as his father.I cant remember the whole menu but the dinner was white tail venison tenderloin with a blueberry compote, the rest I honestly dont remember I would hafto look it up. But for brunch the next day I do know he absolutly loved my Hollandaise I had sliced ciabatta toast with poached eggs, pancetta,steamed asparagas and oven roasted tomato topped with my hollandaise recipe very much like eggs bennedict, actually my holandaise isn't a true hollandaise as I put a little garlic powder,brandy and tabasco to my version.He came back to the kitchen to get more sauce.With that breakfast I made dutch babies with fresh fruit and vanilla yoqurt,mini morning glory muffins I dont remember what else I made.
I hafto admit the egg dish was from a Jamie Oliver Book but the sauce was definitly my recipe.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:29 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Could you please post your dutch baby recipe? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:09 AM   #7
Head Chef

Good ole beef roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, baby carrots creamed and cole slaw. home made dinner rolls and apple pie.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:07 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpershere2
Good ole beef roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, baby carrots creamed and cole slaw. home made dinner rolls and apple pie.
sounds like a wonderful dinner
Old 02-28-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
Executive Chef

you know, often it's not what we make, but how we serve it. A fancy dinner of many courses may not have a whole lot more food than an American family dinner, but the service is different. A soup course, a salad course, a first, a main, etc.

One could start with a cup of corn or clam chowder, then a light salad, followed by a simple pasta (even a form of mac and cheese) or fish item, then the main meat with green vegetable, (which could be baked ham and sauteed broccoli).
I mean, what's more festive and fancy than what we serve for Thanksgiving?
However, what I like to serve begins with a light salad often with sauteed shrimp or milanesed swordfish medalions. (that's two courses right there.) for the primo, I like to do a light pasta such as putanesca or in brodo (broth)with sauteed cabbage and prosciuto. The main could be a hunters stew with meat and lots of root vegetables, or a simple elegant salimbuco. (sauteed meat wrapped around herbs and cheese.) Desert...crepe with fresh fruit! bingo
Old 02-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
you know, often it's not what we make, but how we serve it. A fancy dinner of many courses may not have a whole lot more food than an American family dinner, but the service is different. A soup course, a salad course, a first, a main, etc.

One could start with a cup of corn or clam chowder, then a light salad, followed by a simple pasta (even a form of mac and cheese) or fish item, then the main meat with green vegetable, (which could be baked ham and sauteed broccoli).
I mean, what's more festive and fancy than what we serve for Thanksgiving?
However, what I like to serve begins with a light salad often with sauteed shrimp or milanesed swordfish medalions. (that's two courses right there.) for the primo, I like to do a light pasta such as putanesca or in brodo (broth)with sauteed cabbage and prosciuto. The main could be a hunters stew with meat and lots of root vegetables, or a simple elegant salimbuco. (sauteed meat wrapped around herbs and cheese.) Desert...crepe with fresh fruit! bingo
I agree the server truely makes it ellegant or not...