"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
My father just had it done couple of month ago, as long as it did not spread your husband will be fine, no need to worry about. After 2 month my father is completely fine and has no problem. So stop eating, no exuse.

I did try a little bit harder today!! You've all been so encouraging.

Is it possible to give out karma in a block like group emails!!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #12
Master Chef

Mom used to always say that sometimes you wonder if the spouse is going to die from their loved one's medical problems, because you get so wrapped around caring for him/her that you neglect yourself. Some of it is inevitable. Find something small you can enjoy in chocolate, and then, I know this is anethema to this site, if you can afford it, buy some frozen dinners of the Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc, stuff, and large bags of whatever frozen green veggies you like, and a good multi vitamin. Take a handful of the frozen greens, pop the frozen dinner on top of it, and nuke. It is so easy to eat those snacks (for me it would likely be bags of chips), and then, because you've eaten all the calories you should have for the day and don't want to gain weight, you stop eating the nutritious food (that doesn't seem to be worth cooking for just one when you are under stress). This is a formula for getting sick yourself, which is no help for your loved ones or yourself. Make sure to keep your own nutrition and exercise going as much as you can (and believe me I know how hard it is to do that), for everyone's sake.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Your kind and wise advice is much appreciated Claire.

Surgery day is in 4 days time.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:24 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Prostate cancer is about as good as it can get--VERY high rate of total cure. Be very glad it was found.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:34 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Thank-you again. I am deeply touched by the kindness of all.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 AM   #16
Executive Chef

If I actually get the opportunity to nap in the late afternoon, I always seem to crave carbs when I wake. It could be crackers, pretzels, or cookies, but it has to be carbs.

And...I always seem to need bubbles the morning after a night of cocktails. I'll start with Coke but eventually, the sweetness of that gets to me, so I'll satisfy the bubble urge with lemon-lime seltzer.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Csalt, I just came across this thread, and belatedly I am sending you my bestust wishes to you and your beloved hubby. I am not familiar with this illness, but I hope with all my heart that everything will be okay.

Enjoy your chocolate if that makes you feel better. But if I allow myself to put in my two cents, I suggest you do some exercise or fitness activity along with it. Find an activity you enjoy, even if it is simply shaking your bootie to your favourite music! I know when you are stressed or have something heavy in your mind, you feel that you are in no mood for things like that, but you will be surprised how much better and positive you feel once you start moving your body. It is the adrenaline rush, and it is a natural and the best high your mind can ever get. Plus, you will get healthier, and burn off that chocolate calorie!!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Urmaniac13; that advice too I will follow. We have a treadmill, which I endeavour to use every day, but like my 'centuries ago' school reports " must try harder" I have been overwhelmed by the warmhearted kindness of all you people; more so because elsewhere I received a personal memo advising me not air personal stuff.
If no-one minds, I look forward to telling you how it went around a week from today
Old 02-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #19
Executive Chef

We'll look forward to an update.

I'm so sorry that I just found this thread, too. From what I've read on the posts, it sounds like it will all be under control within a little bit of time.

Take care of yourself!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #20
Head Chef

When I'm going to be at the hospital, I take a lot of coins and $1 bills. The place is just loaded with vending machines. I can even manage to duck in and out of the place to one of the fast food restaurants across the street.
When we get the "all clear" on the patient, we generally go out to eat and pick up a few things before we head back to the hospital.
If you have to be in the patient zone, the nurses will usually be happy to microwave a bag of popcorn for you.
Hoping the best for all of you.