"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-20-2005, 08:24 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Hey Caine - Liked your reply, sounds like a plan to me. However, since moving here last year, we now have all electric appliances, had gas range previously, so I would not be able to cook. I know what my husband and I would do would be to just move out into our motor home and turn on the generator. We could also always cook on our Weber gas grill. What I would really worry about would be the refrigerated and frozen items should the power be out for any extended period of time. We could potentially run an extension cord from the motor home generator to the house to plug the fridge and freezer into it for power. I would only do this if the power was out long enough to possibly cause spoilage of the foods.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #22
Executive Chef

add salsa to the list of easy to use, reasonably healthy, emergency food items. Dip chips into it, top barbequed spam with it!

Old 07-20-2005, 06:09 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
add salsa to the list of easy to use, reasonably healthy, emergency food items. Dip chips into it, top barbequed spam with it!
Yep that....will work.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:04 AM   #24
Master Chef

Hey, Cats, spoilage of food is one of the fun parts of going quite awhile w/o electricity! YOu get together with your neighbors and decide who has what that might go bad, then make huge batches of food and have continual parties. This turns groups of houses into neighborhoods.

Once when we were on the road, we went to Florida to visit the family right after a hurricane hit. Our trailer was shower-and-supper central. One thing about an RV is that you can get it out of the way of the hurricane, then when you come back you have power of some sort, even if it's just a propane tank and a couple of batteries.