"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I read a comment a while back that "proper" chili shouldn't have tomatoes in it but I like them. Actually the pork wasn't a great success. I'd had to use it as I got it out of the freezer when I was looking for something and it got left out and defrosted. It was a bit bland compared with beef.
Mad Cook, I make pretty decent chili, and always include tomatoes in one form or another. Of course, it's never the same as the previous batch.

As far as dinner, I may bread some chicken nuggets. Not sure yet.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm turning the pressure cooker chicken and veggies I had last night into chicken noodle soup. I just got it going. I'll make some garlic bread to go along.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Mad Cook come back in from out in the snow and cold and close the door before your dinner gets cold !

Your chili sounds good and with pork, even richer tasting. I made "real" Texas chili last fall. It was mostly cubed beef, different pure and mixed chilies and onion. I am sure cumin and Mexican oregano were in there too. Can't recall now if it had tomatoes. It was good, but too thick based on how I usually like it. Mine is usually more soupy than stew consistency. I Like tomatoes in my chili, also I think celery complements the flavor. It cooks at slow simmer and I add more chili powder in increments until it gets to the point where the house smells really good and I am Starving. That's how I tell that it's done cooking. Not by time spent simmering on the back burner.

--

Dinner today may have already been eaten. Waffles for breakfast. A piece of cold deli chicken around lunch time. ( not quite the same as having chicken and waffles, but close.) Sliced strawberries and yogurt for later.
--

Tomorrow's St Patrick's dinner is on a low simmer on the back burner, part of a 2 day cooking process.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

Not sure what it will be here. I'm still floating from the UVA ACC Tournament win! (First time since 1976). Most stuff is frozen and I still have some laundry to do. We may just order out something. Pizza, KFC or Chinese. I'll take a poll in about an hour and go from there.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #15
Master Chef

jabbur inspired me to make a pot of sauce and some meatballs, just need to boil the pasta water and make a salad!

If you get tired of trying to grow a celery butt, try planting a meatball!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Mad Cook, I think your chili sounds yummy. But then again, I haven't shared my vegetarian version which would also raise some eyebrows! Besides, DC is all about being bold and adventurous!

I only know I am serving chicken breasts, corn on the cob and asparagus because those three items need using today. What I am doing I have no idea and have 2 hours to think about it. We can't grill as it is pouring rain and while I would loved fried chicken, unfortunately since my gall bladder surgery my body can't seem to handle fried foods of any kind. Baked is so boring. I will think of something....or if anyone has an idea (I can convert almost anything into gluten/ dairy free).

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I have German sausage and potato soup simmering on the stove and yeast rolls rising in the oven (it has a proofing setting). We need a warming dinner for a chilly, rainy day.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nixed the nuggets. Papa Murphy's thin crust Delight with pepps, mushrooms and onions just sounded good
Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
Master Chef

Papa John won the poll so it will be pizza tonight. We got one pepperoni and sausage and one with all the meat (pepperoni, sausage, ground beef, ham, and bacon) The guys usually turn up their noses at veggies on their pizza outside of the tomato sauce.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was going to cook some steak, but I have a headache and don't feel so good. We ordered and are waiting for food to arrive. Stirling ordered ravioli and I'm getting an all dressed souvlaki pita.

Tags
dinner