Et Tu Brute! Sunday Dinner 3/16/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmyap

Sous Chef
My goodness, I never get to start a dinner thread! You all are usually up and running before me. I'm going to jump on the opportunity.

I'm making homemade rye bread today so I wanted to make grilled pastrami sandwiches (or corned beef depending on what the deli has.) I looked under the soup thread and found a steak and ale soup that sounds like a good match for the sammies.

Happy Sunday!

My mother just got home from the hospital after being in there for 12 days. She wants a good ol' roast beef dinner with mashed taters and gravy. I am heading over soon to get it started....

Windy and rainy here today so I'm going to roast a pork loin encrusted with kosher salt and herbes de province. We'll have creamed spinach and rice pilaf as the sides. Tea to drink and A&W root beer float cookies for dessert.

Working around the house today. Not a lot of time to cook. Since SO reminded me we have a corned beef brisket in the fridge, my original weekly menu has been modified.

All that to tell you we're having leftover lasagna and a salad tonight. (the corned beef will be tomorrow's dinner)

(I could be blackballed from DC for ths!)

Chili con carne......

The "carne" is pork and if that wasn't bad enough, it's minced/ground, not chunks.

I used a packet of Schwartz Chili Con Carne mix instead of making my own as I haven't been able to get my mix as good as the Schwartz (I think Schwartz is the same company as McCormick)

There's rice in it.

And to top it off I used TOMATOES!!!!! :ohmy:

Oh dear, I'll get me coat.

(I may also add some plain yoghourt to calm it down as it's a bit fire-y) Wanders of into the snow, a dejected reject from DC.

Chili con carne......

The "carne" is pork and if that wasn't bad enough, it's minced/ground, not chunks.

I used a packet of Schwartz Chili Con Carne mix instead of making my own as I haven't been able to get my mix as good as the Schwartz (I think Schwartz is the same company as McCormick)

There's rice in it.

And to top it off I used TOMATOES!!!!! :ohmy:

Oh dear, I'll get me coat.

(I may also add some plain yoghourt to calm it down as it's a bit fire-y) Wanders of into the snow, a dejected reject from DC.

Northern midwestern chili often has tomatoes in it and everyone needs to cheat once in while. Leave your coat and sit back down by the fire, no need to stumbling about in that cold, white stuff.

Corned beef with the sister and her family. I'm cooking mine in the oven with rutabega and potatoes. Sprout is cooking hers in the slowcooker with carrots and potatoes. She'll cook a little cabage on the side.

Mad Cook, you'd be hard pressed to find a red chili recipe that didn't have a little tomato in it. Most recipes have way too much tomato for my liking, but to each his own.

Mad Cook, you'd be hard pressed to find a red chili recipe that didn't have a little tomato in it. Most recipes have way too much tomato for my liking, but to each his own.
I read a comment a while back that "proper" chili shouldn't have tomatoes in it but I like them. Actually the pork wasn't a great success. I'd had to use it as I got it out of the freezer when I was looking for something and it got left out and defrosted. It was a bit bland compared with beef.

I read a comment a while back that "proper" chili shouldn't have tomatoes in it but I like them. Actually the pork wasn't a great success. I'd had to use it as I got it out of the freezer when I was looking for something and it got left out and defrosted. It was a bit bland compared with beef.

There are lots of chili "experts" in this world. The fact is, there is not just one authentic recipe for chili con carne. Chili con carne is "peppers with meat", the only two requirements for the dish. Beyond that, there are some common ingredients that are used almost all the time. The rest is free form.

Mad Cook, I make pretty decent chili, and always include tomatoes in one form or another. Of course, it's never the same as the previous batch.

As far as dinner, I may bread some chicken nuggets. Not sure yet.

Last edited:
I'm turning the pressure cooker chicken and veggies I had last night into chicken noodle soup. I just got it going. I'll make some garlic bread to go along.

Mad Cook come back in from out in the snow and cold and close the door before your dinner gets cold !:LOL:

Your chili sounds good and with pork, even richer tasting. I made "real" Texas chili last fall. It was mostly cubed beef, different pure and mixed chilies and onion. I am sure cumin and Mexican oregano were in there too. Can't recall now if it had tomatoes. It was good, but too thick based on how I usually like it. Mine is usually more soupy than stew consistency. I Like tomatoes in my chili, also I think celery complements the flavor. It cooks at slow simmer and I add more chili powder in increments until it gets to the point where the house smells really good and I am Starving. That's how I tell that it's done cooking. Not by time spent simmering on the back burner.

--

Dinner today may have already been eaten. Waffles for breakfast. A piece of cold deli chicken around lunch time. ( not quite the same as having chicken and waffles, but close.) Sliced strawberries and yogurt for later.
--

Tomorrow's St Patrick's dinner is on a low simmer on the back burner, part of a 2 day cooking process.

Not sure what it will be here. I'm still floating from the UVA ACC Tournament win! (First time since 1976). Most stuff is frozen and I still have some laundry to do. We may just order out something. Pizza, KFC or Chinese. I'll take a poll in about an hour and go from there.

Mad Cook, I think your chili sounds yummy. But then again, I haven't shared my vegetarian version which would also raise some eyebrows! :LOL: Besides, DC is all about being bold and adventurous!

I only know I am serving chicken breasts, corn on the cob and asparagus because those three items need using today. What I am doing I have no idea and have 2 hours to think about it. We can't grill as it is pouring rain and while I would loved fried chicken, unfortunately since my gall bladder surgery my body can't seem to handle fried foods of any kind. Baked is so boring. I will think of something....or if anyone has an idea (I can convert almost anything into gluten/ dairy free).

I have German sausage and potato soup simmering on the stove and yeast rolls rising in the oven (it has a proofing setting). We need a warming dinner for a chilly, rainy day.

Nixed the nuggets. Papa Murphy's thin crust Delight with pepps, mushrooms and onions just sounded good

Papa John won the poll so it will be pizza tonight. We got one pepperoni and sausage and one with all the meat (pepperoni, sausage, ground beef, ham, and bacon) The guys usually turn up their noses at veggies on their pizza outside of the tomato sauce.

I was going to cook some steak, but I have a headache and don't feel so good. We ordered and are waiting for food to arrive. Stirling ordered ravioli and I'm getting an all dressed souvlaki pita.

Back
Top Bottom