"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Et Tu Brute! Sunday Dinner 3/16/14

My goodness, I never get to start a dinner thread! You all are usually up and running before me. I'm going to jump on the opportunity.

I'm making homemade rye bread today so I wanted to make grilled pastrami sandwiches (or corned beef depending on what the deli has.) I looked under the soup thread and found a steak and ale soup that sounds like a good match for the sammies.

Happy Sunday!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Executive Chef

My mother just got home from the hospital after being in there for 12 days. She wants a good ol' roast beef dinner with mashed taters and gravy. I am heading over soon to get it started....

Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Windy and rainy here today so I'm going to roast a pork loin encrusted with kosher salt and herbes de province. We'll have creamed spinach and rice pilaf as the sides. Tea to drink and A&W root beer float cookies for dessert.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Working around the house today. Not a lot of time to cook. Since SO reminded me we have a corned beef brisket in the fridge, my original weekly menu has been modified.

All that to tell you we're having leftover lasagna and a salad tonight. (the corned beef will be tomorrow's dinner)
Old 03-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

(I could be blackballed from DC for ths!)

Chili con carne......

The "carne" is pork and if that wasn't bad enough, it's minced/ground, not chunks.

I used a packet of Schwartz Chili Con Carne mix instead of making my own as I haven't been able to get my mix as good as the Schwartz (I think Schwartz is the same company as McCormick)

There's rice in it.

And to top it off I used TOMATOES!!!!!

Oh dear, I'll get me coat.

(I may also add some plain yoghourt to calm it down as it's a bit fire-y) Wanders of into the snow, a dejected reject from DC.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Chili con carne......

The "carne" is pork and if that wasn't bad enough, it's minced/ground, not chunks.

I used a packet of Schwartz Chili Con Carne mix instead of making my own as I haven't been able to get my mix as good as the Schwartz (I think Schwartz is the same company as McCormick)

There's rice in it.

And to top it off I used TOMATOES!!!!!

Oh dear, I'll get me coat.

(I may also add some plain yoghourt to calm it down as it's a bit fire-y) Wanders of into the snow, a dejected reject from DC.
Northern midwestern chili often has tomatoes in it and everyone needs to cheat once in while. Leave your coat and sit back down by the fire, no need to stumbling about in that cold, white stuff.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Corned beef with the sister and her family. I'm cooking mine in the oven with rutabega and potatoes. Sprout is cooking hers in the slowcooker with carrots and potatoes. She'll cook a little cabage on the side.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Mad Cook, you'd be hard pressed to find a red chili recipe that didn't have a little tomato in it. Most recipes have way too much tomato for my liking, but to each his own.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mad Cook, you'd be hard pressed to find a red chili recipe that didn't have a little tomato in it. Most recipes have way too much tomato for my liking, but to each his own.
I read a comment a while back that "proper" chili shouldn't have tomatoes in it but I like them. Actually the pork wasn't a great success. I'd had to use it as I got it out of the freezer when I was looking for something and it got left out and defrosted. It was a bit bland compared with beef.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I read a comment a while back that "proper" chili shouldn't have tomatoes in it but I like them. Actually the pork wasn't a great success. I'd had to use it as I got it out of the freezer when I was looking for something and it got left out and defrosted. It was a bit bland compared with beef.
There are lots of chili "experts" in this world. The fact is, there is not just one authentic recipe for chili con carne. Chili con carne is "peppers with meat", the only two requirements for the dish. Beyond that, there are some common ingredients that are used almost all the time. The rest is free form.

Tags
dinner