"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-23-2007, 02:48 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

There's no Wegman's here in Australia but it sounds a little scary to me. I like small specialty shops (butcher, bread shop, pie shop, fish guy, etc) and markets for produce. Since I just get basics at the grocery shop it doesn't need to be huge.

Big store, big money. Shopping would take forever because there is too much to look at.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
Head Chef

I love Wegman's. We don't have any in Florida, but my daughter lives in New York State and there is one in her town. We even go there for lunch when we visit.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I'm in the LOVE Wegman's camp. Although I live hundreds of miles away from the closest one, I visit Wegman's everytime I'm near one. Yes, it's huge. Yes, it can be pricey. But if you are looking for quality one stop shopping this is the place. GREAT bread! Great food court, coffee shop, local produce, seafood, nice ethnic selection. MY DH looooooves the bulk candy dept., which is huge in some stores! Customer service is also a plus. Always plenty of lines open. Now they have these great reusable shopping bags for .99. I would LOVE to have a local Wegman's, but alas, I live where Kroger is, and always will be King, I'm afraid!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Wegman's could grow to be as big as Kroger's if they wanted to.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
So we just got a new Wegman's grocery store in the Harrisburg area, and it's due to be open next month. This will be the first Wegman's in central PA, so most people living around here have never been to one.

My question: Is this store really as great as they make it out to be? I drove past it, and it's easily the biggest store I've ever seen....bigger than most Super Walmarts I've been to. From what I hear, it's one of Wegman's largest yet.

Is it worth going to over my usual local grocer? I'm sure Wegman's has MUCH more selection (natural foods section, international foods section, sushi bar, etc., etc.), but how are the prices compared to other grocers? And, is it worth making a half hour (exaggeration) walk through a store just to get a gallon of milk?

Any comments on this grocery chain would be of much help. Thanks!
Hi! I am new to DC and was poking around and found this thread. I am originally from Rochester, NY and I LOVE Wegmans!! The closest one to me now is 45 minutes away so I don't get there as often as I would like but if it was closer that would be my store of choice. My opinion may be due to the fact that I grew up with one on every other corner!! Just wondering what you thought of the store when it opened.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
I just had my first Wegman's experience last weekend. There's one between my house and my college, so my mother and I decided to check it out on the drive back to my dorm - it's on route 202 S in Bridgewater if anyone's interested. The place is huge! Not sure about the quality of the produce as I didn't have a chance to sample much of it, but it all looked perfectly fresh and ripe. I bought a few honeycrisp apples to keep in my room, and they're sooo good. I was happy to find a great selection of teas and related products. There was also a far fuller baking aisle than the one in my usual supermarket. I didn't have much time to browse around, but what I saw in the 20 minutes I was there is definitely enough to make me want to go back.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I've never been - they don't have them in San Antonio. But after hearing all of you rave about them, I feel deprived! I want to go to Wegman's, too.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
There is one, not too far from our place in Fairfax. Though I like it, I think I prefer whole foods. Just me personally. I don not by any means dislike Wegmans, I just find it to be always SO packed and busy, I feel dizzy walking around in there.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Tattrat, My DH doesn't like to go into the Wegman's near my parents house. The huge produce section has "cobblestone" flooring. They are always so busy and the all the carts scurrying about the flooring make for a terrible racket. It drives him crazy.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Here's my thing:
I'm in an area with Top's Market's. Its a couple steps below wegmen's. It's generally a bit cheaper, on some stuff.
On a regular basis I shop at Top's. But, when I'm feeling picky I go to Wegmen's.
Their produce lasts a long time...Top's 4 days, tops..
Their meat I haven't had a problem with only seasoned stuff there. I bought an 8lb ham for 10 bucks because it was the buy today specical. Most grocery stores that means you need to use it within a few days, or freeze it. This one was good for almost 2 weeks.... You can't beat that.
If you are making a specialized dish its generally better to go to Wegmen's... at least around here. And especially for Italian cheeses and good deli meat. I don't get the same quality at Top's or any other market around here.
Their breads are sooo good. They make them fresh and they taste oh so good!
We always get their Pane Italian bread...its good and its a $1.50..
generally on common stuff such as breads, eggs, milk, butter it is going to be the same and at times better than the local market.
Produce may be a bit more, but its worth the extra 50 cents.
Generally I take an ad from Tops and I take an ad from Wegmen's and I decide what I need and which one's cheaper. It varies week to week but Wegmen's gets in there.
They are a competitive company.
Their customer service is excellent. If you have any problem with anything they will fix it! If the Pharmacy takes too long they will apologize and fix it. They make sure the customer leaves happy. They have us wanting to come back.
I personally have never had a problem with them. I've had food rot from other stores before the due date and take it back and they do nothing. But, people I know have had a few times happen from Wegmen's and they fix it right away.
For a long time Tops was the place to go. They almost got pushed out by Wegmen's because overall they have a better gig. You can go there and get everything you need.
Sometimes I go to Tops and need to go to Wegman's for that one thing Tops didn't have.
So overall I'm a Weg's fan! I have family that just moved to NC and can't wait until they get one. They miss it.
Oh and their subs are oooh soo yummy! Fresh bread, fresh meats....mmmh!

o and for our wedding this summer we used their flower department for all of the flowers. EVERYTHING was beautiful! The flowers were perfect, the service was awesome. We ended up using them for other stuff too!
We made the favors with that melty chocolate. They had the best price and they came out awesome. I just went to the store and said I need 10lbs of this and 20lbs of this and they got it.
We did everything for our wedding ourselves or with the help of family. For our fruit salad we did raspberries, blueberris, strawberries and nectarines. We ordered like 50lbs of nectarines from them and they asked how ripe we wanted them. so they came out perfect for the wedding!
So yeah, I guess I do like it better than Tops...