"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #21
Head Chef

At first blush they are the Rolls Royce of supermarkets.

But like the Rolls they are not cheap, but they do carry some really fine goods.

Be prepared to pay top price, including for the regular stuff we all buy that you can get at Costco or Safeway or your local market a lot cheaper.

We are 45 min to an hour away from Tattrat's Wegman's, our closest one, and if we are in the area we may stop. But we are not going out of our way to get there.

But the parking lot is difficult to navigate, too many cars and too few spaces most of the time, and the store is always jammed. Have walked out of Wegman's a number of times just because it was too crowded.

There is talk of building one near where we live and that we would probably go to more often, we are in a much more rural area than Tattrat's Wegman's occupies.

Neat store, particularly for the availability of the high end stuff, but we only buy the stuff we cannot find elsewhere.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I've never been - they don't have them in San Antonio. But after hearing all of you rave about them, I feel deprived! I want to go to Wegman's, too.
i'm with u mom. none here in my neck of the woods. we have a trader joe. to much weird stuff for me. do love their bread and frozen goodies. great spinach dip.

we also have costo and sam club, never been in either one of them. a store called albertson's has best produce.

i want a wegman's near me. shop online anyway so guess it doesn't matter. i shop for a month at a time, and they bring it to my house and into my kitchen.

babe

Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i'm with u mom. none here in my neck of the woods. we have a trader joe. to much weird stuff for me. do love their bread and frozen goodies. great spinach dip.

we also have costo and sam club, never been in either one of them. a store called albertson's has best produce.

i want a wegman's near me. shop online anyway so guess it doesn't matter. i shop for a month at a time, and they bring it to my house and into my kitchen.

babe
I don't have a Trader Joe's either. We have a Whole Foods and a Sun Harvest (like Whole Foods). We used to have Albertson's here and I loved them. It's where I always shopped but then all of them closed here in San Antonio. Pretty much it's HEB or WalMart for the staples.

I've been trying to get my mom to start shopping for groceries online but she's nervous about it. She loves buying other stuff online but I think the idea of groceries just isn't one she can wrap her head around yet.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I grew up in Syracuse, NY & have been going to Wegmans ever since I can remember. In the mid nineties they built the Superstore....their prepared food "market" is unbelivable you can have breakfast, lunch or dinner...fresh omelets, soups, sushi, paninis, roasted turkey, prime rib, pizza, calzones, tofu salad, couscous, pasta to order, Chinese, etc. An affordable, quick & very tasty meal that you don't have to cook.

Then they have short cut meals....already stuffed meats, premade kebobs, bags of salad, prepared gourmet salads, grilled vegetables, already chopped veggies & fruits, awesome breads, bagels, baked goods.

Then for those of us who like to cook huge produce selection, fresh meats, sushi grade fish, bakery, ethnic & organic sections, bulk department...it's endless.

You can drop your pictures & dry cleaning off, in some newer ones they have day care, a great florist...definitely one stop shopping.

Where we live in the summer, you can't find fresh herbs, specialty meats, chayote, lemongrass, fresh lima beans, truffles, manchego, etc. We are an hour & half north from the DeWitt Wegmans Superstore. I coordinate all trips to the doctor or airport so I can go shopping there....Wegmans is awesome in my opinion!

Enough about all the wonderful foods & services....they are great employers. I had several friends who worked at Wegmans all throughout highschool. They have great benefits & scholarship opportunities. A wonderful addition to any community. Consider yourself lucky!!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #25
Master Chef

I like Wegman's tho I don't shop there often since it is half hour away and they don't have senior discount day, hubby likes the discounts offered by other supermarkets. They do have things that other supermarket do not carry. They have a big selection of cheese , fruits , vegetables. Also big selection of breads baked in their bakery.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post

babe
See here, we don't have a trader joe's and I've heard that you can get interesting stuff there... I wouldn't mind if they got one near here... probably not though.
I think Wegmen's will continue to grow. Most people love theirs.
we have BJ's for wholesale and there is a Sam's club around here too.. but I don't have a membership. I do for BJ's though. Can get a huge amount of stuff for a decent price. We generally get stuff that won't go bad...'cus its only 2 of us here...