Ever been to a Wegman's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
So we just got a new Wegman's grocery store in the Harrisburg area, and it's due to be open next month. This will be the first Wegman's in central PA, so most people living around here have never been to one.

My question: Is this store really as great as they make it out to be? I drove past it, and it's easily the biggest store I've ever seen....bigger than most Super Walmarts I've been to. From what I hear, it's one of Wegman's largest yet.

Is it worth going to over my usual local grocer? I'm sure Wegman's has MUCH more selection (natural foods section, international foods section, sushi bar, etc., etc.), but how are the prices compared to other grocers? And, is it worth making a half hour (exaggeration) walk through a store just to get a gallon of milk?

Any comments on this grocery chain would be of much help. Thanks!

Wegman's is a fine store...incredible selection of meats, poultry, fish, seafood, cheeses, a great bakery trained by CIA folks, etc. Only lacking in what Whole Foods does best...produce. Wegman's produce seems to be not much more than ordinary store produce, where as a Whole Foods has awesome glorious produce.

Still if a Wegman's were near me rather than 25 miles away, I'd shop there for sure.

Yes. I live in New York state and we have had

Wegmans for a long time. They started in Rochester NY and moved east.
There are good and bad with Wegmans, mostly on the bad side. It is not my first choice for shopping.

Produce: good selection, good quality usually,
not very many bargains because you do pay top dollar for top quality.
Customer service, good. Usually lots of cashiers and enough people at the deli counter.
Selection: here is where I have a problem with them. They tend to discontinue the name brand products and replace them with Wegmans brand.
They do this quite often. Instead of having all the varieties of canned Hunt's tomatoes they will have 3 types and offer the Weg brand for the others. They NEVER have any SMALL cans of name brand whole tomatoes, only Weg brand. The same thing with jams and jellies and lots of canned and frozen food also.

The ogranic selection is good but pricey. The other stores in our area all have a large selection of organic food so I have a choice.

Meat: I have not bought meat (except for chicken) at Wegmans for years. They are overpriced for the quality. I don't like their packaging, and the butcher counter has mostly prepared meat. I like to cook and I prefer to season, marinate, cut my meat myself. If i want 1 pound of ground beef I have to get a package from the cooler and take it to the meat counter and have them open it and repackage it. Why not just keep gr beef at the butcher counter? Becauce they have 5 types of preseasoned hamburger patties at $1 or $1.50 a pound more at the butcher counter so they don't have room for the plain. They have stew beef packaged with carrots and onions and potatoes, not just plain beef. They have kabobs already skewered and marinated, pork chops already stuffed, marinated pork tenderloins, not plain. And on and on and on. They have a buffet with cooked food that is very very expensive. You will be much better going to a Chinese Restaurant for take out.

They have a magazine called MENU. Comes out 4 times a year.
Most of their recipes go something like this. 1 lb. sliced chicken breast for stir fry(because they sell it already sliced), 1 cup WEGMANS diced peppers and onions(because they sell them diced), 3 TB. of Wegmans stir fry seasoning sauce(because they sell that also) etc.

I guess I'm tired of Wegmans. The stores are full of patio furniture, pots and pans, planters, fans, sets of dishes, and home decorations. That just makes it harder to get to the food way in the back of a big store.

And wait until holiday time. They had Christmas stuff out last year with the school supplies.

They are getting to be a great big fancy expensive convenience store. They were not like this when they first opened many many years ago so I am not sure what it will be like when they open a new store now.

I am able to buy ethnic groceries at small stores close to home where the prices are much better than Wegmans. Chinese, Thai, Indian, Greek, and Middle Eastern groceries are close so I shop there first. Wegmans prices are much higher for these types of groceries.

It is fun shopping there at first, but if you have been in a PUBLIX store it is just like a Wegmans. When I went to Florida I stopped in at a PUBLIX to get their rotisserie chicken and the first thing I said was This is just like Wegmans.

Wow..thanks for all the info! I will definetly have to check out their meat section and see if ours is just as bad as yours. Price is the biggest thing that I'm concerned about, and I was afraid of this place being extremely overpriced. I took a look at their online flier, and all they have sales on is their pre-packaged, prepared foods.

All i have to say is I LOVE WEGMAN"S!!! The produce in thsi area is top notch and in my opinion is well worth it.

Wegman's is a fine store...incredible selection of meats, poultry, fish, seafood, cheeses, a great bakery trained by CIA folks, etc. Only lacking in what Whole Foods does best...produce. Wegman's produce seems to be not much more than ordinary store produce, where as a Whole Foods has awesome glorious produce.

Still if a Wegman's were near me rather than 25 miles away, I'd shop there for sure.

The produce issue is not peculiar to ALL Wegmans'! I've been to some with fabulous produce.

Yes, my response is that Wegman's is probably several cuts above the local supermarket you are currently patronizing. I'd surely check it out! :)

Sounds like a cool store, but I doubt it'll be hitting my area anytime soon. Back to Trader Joe's with me, I suppose...

I always preferred Tops Markets myself. Good old "Uncle Army" always provided good food at fair prices, not to mention jobs for hundreds of my friends, their familieis, and a lot of high school classmates.

No, theyre in the general area but always seem to be like a half hour out of the way. It seems like a very quality store, some of my friends simply rave about it.

I LOVE WEGMAN'S. We drive 40 minutes one way each week to do our shopping there. They are a cut above any other grocery chain I've ever been to. We are limited in the meat we eat, mostly chicken and turkey--so that I can't comment on--but they do have a good seafood selection. I have found their produce to be quite fine--no, its not a farmer's market, but our Weg's buys mostly local produce when its in season and available. Great breads.

I won't shop anywhere else.

There's no Wegman's here in Australia but it sounds a little scary to me. I like small specialty shops (butcher, bread shop, pie shop, fish guy, etc) and markets for produce. Since I just get basics at the grocery shop it doesn't need to be huge.

Big store, big money. Shopping would take forever because there is too much to look at.

I love Wegman's. We don't have any in Florida, but my daughter lives in New York State and there is one in her town. We even go there for lunch when we visit.

I'm in the LOVE Wegman's camp. Although I live hundreds of miles away from the closest one, I visit Wegman's everytime I'm near one. Yes, it's huge. Yes, it can be pricey. But if you are looking for quality one stop shopping this is the place. GREAT bread! Great food court, coffee shop, local produce, seafood, nice ethnic selection. MY DH looooooves the bulk candy dept., which is huge in some stores! Customer service is also a plus. Always plenty of lines open. Now they have these great reusable shopping bags for .99. I would LOVE to have a local Wegman's, but alas, I live where Kroger is, and always will be King, I'm afraid!

So we just got a new Wegman's grocery store in the Harrisburg area, and it's due to be open next month. This will be the first Wegman's in central PA, so most people living around here have never been to one.

My question: Is this store really as great as they make it out to be? I drove past it, and it's easily the biggest store I've ever seen....bigger than most Super Walmarts I've been to. From what I hear, it's one of Wegman's largest yet.

Is it worth going to over my usual local grocer? I'm sure Wegman's has MUCH more selection (natural foods section, international foods section, sushi bar, etc., etc.), but how are the prices compared to other grocers? And, is it worth making a half hour (exaggeration) walk through a store just to get a gallon of milk?

Any comments on this grocery chain would be of much help. Thanks!

Hi! I am new to DC and was poking around and found this thread. I am originally from Rochester, NY and I LOVE Wegmans!! The closest one to me now is 45 minutes away so I don't get there as often as I would like but if it was closer that would be my store of choice. My opinion may be due to the fact that I grew up with one on every other corner!! Just wondering what you thought of the store when it opened.

I just had my first Wegman's experience last weekend. There's one between my house and my college, so my mother and I decided to check it out on the drive back to my dorm - it's on route 202 S in Bridgewater if anyone's interested. The place is huge! Not sure about the quality of the produce as I didn't have a chance to sample much of it, but it all looked perfectly fresh and ripe. I bought a few honeycrisp apples to keep in my room, and they're sooo good. I was happy to find a great selection of teas and related products. There was also a far fuller baking aisle than the one in my usual supermarket. I didn't have much time to browse around, but what I saw in the 20 minutes I was there is definitely enough to make me want to go back.

There is one, not too far from our place in Fairfax. Though I like it, I think I prefer whole foods. Just me personally. I don not by any means dislike Wegmans, I just find it to be always SO packed and busy, I feel dizzy walking around in there.

Tattrat, My DH doesn't like to go into the Wegman's near my parents house. The huge produce section has "cobblestone" flooring. They are always so busy and the all the carts scurrying about the flooring make for a terrible racket. It drives him crazy.

Here's my thing:
I'm in an area with Top's Market's. Its a couple steps below wegmen's. It's generally a bit cheaper, on some stuff.
On a regular basis I shop at Top's. But, when I'm feeling picky I go to Wegmen's.
Their produce lasts a long time...Top's 4 days, tops..
Their meat I haven't had a problem with only seasoned stuff there. I bought an 8lb ham for 10 bucks because it was the buy today specical. Most grocery stores that means you need to use it within a few days, or freeze it. This one was good for almost 2 weeks.... You can't beat that.
If you are making a specialized dish its generally better to go to Wegmen's... at least around here. And especially for Italian cheeses and good deli meat. I don't get the same quality at Top's or any other market around here.
Their breads are sooo good. They make them fresh and they taste oh so good!
We always get their Pane Italian bread...its good and its a $1.50..
generally on common stuff such as breads, eggs, milk, butter it is going to be the same and at times better than the local market.
Produce may be a bit more, but its worth the extra 50 cents.
Generally I take an ad from Tops and I take an ad from Wegmen's and I decide what I need and which one's cheaper. It varies week to week but Wegmen's gets in there.
They are a competitive company.
Their customer service is excellent. If you have any problem with anything they will fix it! If the Pharmacy takes too long they will apologize and fix it. They make sure the customer leaves happy. They have us wanting to come back.
I personally have never had a problem with them. I've had food rot from other stores before the due date and take it back and they do nothing. But, people I know have had a few times happen from Wegmen's and they fix it right away.
For a long time Tops was the place to go. They almost got pushed out by Wegmen's because overall they have a better gig. You can go there and get everything you need.
Sometimes I go to Tops and need to go to Wegman's for that one thing Tops didn't have.
So overall I'm a Weg's fan! I have family that just moved to NC and can't wait until they get one. They miss it.
Oh and their subs are oooh soo yummy! Fresh bread, fresh meats....mmmh!

o and for our wedding this summer we used their flower department for all of the flowers. EVERYTHING was beautiful! The flowers were perfect, the service was awesome. We ended up using them for other stuff too!
We made the favors with that melty chocolate. They had the best price and they came out awesome. I just went to the store and said I need 10lbs of this and 20lbs of this and they got it.
We did everything for our wedding ourselves or with the help of family. For our fruit salad we did raspberries, blueberris, strawberries and nectarines. We ordered like 50lbs of nectarines from them and they asked how ripe we wanted them. so they came out perfect for the wedding!
So yeah, I guess I do like it better than Tops...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom