"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Expensive ingredients vs. cooking skill

Personally, I pride myself on being able to turn an inexpensive cut of meat into something delicious and to substitute the dry spices I always have on hand for all the "fresh this" and "fresh that" items in most recipes today. Herbs can be very expensive. Are they always (or even usually) worth it? I think not.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Some more than others. Some have a different favors-dry vs. fresh.

I suggest you cook using both versions of the same herb to determine if the fresh is important to you. You may find that, for example, fresh basil is worth the price but that fresh oregano is not.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Senior Cook

somethings

I would say fresh basil, definitely. Rosemary not so much. Oregano, I can't tell the difference. Parsley, it hardly matters. Sage, possibly but is it worth the price? Tarragon- I go with dried. Garlic, it depends. In things like a long cooked stew then, no. It's just that every recipe these days calls for all fresh ingredients like money is no object and we will all always have year round access to fresh ingredients and the finest of meats, etc.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dried herbs seem to work fine for me. I do prefer fresh cilantro, basil and parsley, the dried versions don't have much flavor IMHO.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I feel like discovering fresh herbs years ago transformed my cooking as much as getting good-quality cookware did. It's tremendously important to me.

That said, soft herbs like basil, cilantro and parsley are best fresh; dried parsley isn't worth using at all, imo. Woody herbs like rosemary, thyme, bay, oregano and sage are good dry. Mint can be good either way, depending on how it's being used. The rule of thumb for substitution is 1/3 dry to 1 fresh.

I don't know if this is possible for you, but I grow most of the herbs I use. In the fall, I dry the woody herbs and refill my dried herb jars. Cilantro doesn't do great in my climate, but all the rest listed above do. (I don't like tarragon, but I've grown it; it does well here, too.)
Old 01-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
It's just that every recipe these days calls for all fresh ingredients like money is no object and we will all always have year round access to fresh ingredients and the finest of meats, etc.
They do that because their recipes will turn out best that way, not because they think their audiences can afford it I pick and choose which parts of a recipe I'll follow closely and which I'll play with, depending on many factors, including cost, our taste, etc. No problem.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Basil, cilantro, mint, and chives I prefer fresh. I grow them during the summer months, so cost isn't really an issue. Fresh garlic tastes far better than any powdered stuff. Then again, I prefer the powdered stuff when making chili.

And I agree with Andy about dried oregano being superior to fresh, which has kind of a bitter, resinous flavor, in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Forgot about chives, also best fresh. I grow most of my own herbs too. We have cheap fresh cilantro available year round in the grocery stores, though the other fresh herbs are ridiculously expensive there.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Forgot about chives, also best fresh. I grow most of my own herbs too. We have cheap fresh cilantro available year round in the grocery stores, though the other fresh herbs are ridiculously expensive there.
Yes, chives! Dried chives are like paper.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yes, chives! Dried chives are like paper.
I actually dug up and potted some to bring inside, along with some thyme. They look kind of scraggly, but I've made good use of them, and it's nice to have fresh!

Tags
cook, cooking