Exploring new foods, recipe experimentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Ok this may seem like a dumb question, I hope not...

Right now there are certain dishes that i would like to master. Baked Beans, A good lamb dish, lamb kabobs, I can make pretty good ice cream already, white cake, yellow cake and lets say whole wheat bread to name a few.

I have a pile of cook books, On occasion like when the soiree that my wife held last week at our house is held out of town, I go to the local bookstore to drink latte's and ... hide.

on the off chance that any one is interested here is the website of my wife's organization http://www.deltapsiepsilon.com/

now I have to behave

anyway, you look through all those cook books and you think that looks interesting... but how do you decide what you want to try?

I geuss my initial answer to that question is, you know what main ingredients you like and you pick recipes that feature those things but i am interested in hearing what others have to say

For me I really don't use a lot of recipes. I create things off the top of my head. I started cooking when I was young and learned a lot from my mother. We had a small restaurant with home cooked food. She only used recipes for baking.

Baked beans--easy...

Start with a pork and beans in a can. Put the contents in a baking dish.

Add Ketchup, Molasses(optional but nice, not too much), brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, a little vinegar. quarter an onion, break into pieces and dot around the beans. Taste it. You should have a tangy taste happening. Lay some uncooked bacon over the top.

Pop the pan in the oven and bake until thickened.... Awesome beans..

I get ideas from recipes but never follow one. Sometimes I'll use 2,3 and 4 different recipes to come up with a dish. Or use just one or two ingredients that someone put together to come up with my own, like the recent lobster dish. How could lobster meat and a fried egg covered in yolk not be tasty? Since I couldn't remember the other ingredients to the original dish, I came up with my own.

Inspiration cannot be found, it comes to you. And most of the time at the weirdest moment.

I rarely follow a recipe exactly. Like Jeeks I will look at a bunch for ideas times techniques etc.

I usually get my "inspiration" from an ingredient that I want to use be it a herb or a slab of meat or a piece of equipment or process I want to try.

For example this week I had a surplus of eggplant and mint so I decided to go with a middle eastern themed dinner. I made eggplant/roasted pepper spread and some meat patties flavored with dill & parsely and a mint yoghurt topping sauce for them served with pita.... nice easy tasty dinner

edit to add:

My method works well with homestyle comfort food type cooking which is what i usually make. There are alot of classic recipes and sauces that I would like to learn for these I would start with a recipe. One particular book that I have been interested in is the Silver Spoonhttp://www.amazon.com/Silver-Spoon-Phaidon-Press/dp/0714845310 cookbook which is sort of an Italian cooking bible.It has alot of classic traditional recipes that are short and to the point. I would like to start working my way through that book when I have the chance

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom