Family dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
Sure could use some help. We have family dinner every Wednesday night (cooked by me!) There are eight of us. I am running out of ideas for a menu. I would prefer a menu that I could prep ahead (meaning Tues. night or even Sunday if possible) There is not a lot of time to prepare on dinner day by the time I get home from work. I am new to this forum (and love it!) I look forward to any suggestions you all may have.

Weather's probably chilling a bit in your neck of the woods, which means that folks are thinking along the lines of soups, stews, roasts, etc. If you have a crockpot, why not throw a nice big chuck roast in, along with a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup, a can of beef broth, a couple of cans of drained mushroom stems and pieces and let it cook long and slow. Depending on your family's tastes, you might want to include some chopped onions, too.

Make some mashed potatoes and steam some green beans, then serve cake or ice cream sundaes. You can feed a lot of people with this menu without having to spend hours and hours in the kitchen.:)

You could make a paprikash or a guylas (goulash) - there are many recipes on the net using chicken, veal, or beef. That is even better the next day or two days later! I like to use oricchietti pasta in place of the spatzel.

Chicken Divan

I like to bake chicken pieces simply coated with yellow mustard, salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of paprika (served with mashed potatoes and green beans)

What do you usually cook? We'll know to steer away from those recipes. I make spaghetti and meatballs where my meatballs are the size of softballs :chef: - those are always good made ahead and eaten the next day.

Are there any things hat your family will not eat under any circumstances? :cool:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds delish. I have made meatballs and sauce, sausage with p and o's, and grilled steaks, hamburgers etc. It is true that it is getting chilly here. The group is not very fussy but they are all young adults and this is usually their only homemade meal. I just feel that lately I keep repeating the same old things. I will try both of your ideas as they sound delicious and would fit the bill.

Beef or chicken stew is good topped with dumplings ( I use bisquick for my dumplings). If you have leftover meatballs and sauce, make baked subs topped with parmesan and mozzarella. Breaded chicken cutlets are great too with a side of maybe mashed potatoes or potatoe pancakes and other veggies. Not sure what your family likes as Kitchenelf mentioned, so if you could let us know your likes and dislikes that would help alot.

If this is their homemade meal then they don't want "new", they want good old home cooking!!!!!! The paprikash, gulyas, Chicken Divan all fit that bill I feel sure.

The Cheesy Spoon Bread at the end of the Bean and Pasta Salad recipe is good with a pot of pintos or a pot of vegetable soup or some kind of soup.

I'm coming up with more stuff so please check back!

Kitchenelf you are right about not wanting "new" I think good old comfort stuff. Although I won't rule out anything! So far there is nothing that they are against. They grew up here with lots of experimental cooking and have a varied taste for all. I started this night to keep them all coming home and not wanting to interfere with their busy lives, I chose a weeknight. So far they love it! I really am grateful to the speedy replies. In fact, I am trying one of the recipes for dinner tomorrow night. Hey, I have to eat too!

stews & hearty soups went well for us, as did roasted chix & baked taters, stirfries, beef/gravy with bread/potatoes, Swiss steak & taters, etc.

elaine l said:
Kitchenelf you are right about not wanting "new" I think good old comfort stuff. Although I won't rule out anything! So far there is nothing that they are against. They grew up here with lots of experimental cooking and have a varied taste for all. I started this night to keep them all coming home and not wanting to interfere with their busy lives, I chose a weeknight. So far they love it! I really am grateful to the speedy replies. In fact, I am trying one of the recipes for dinner tomorrow night. Hey, I have to eat too!

Sounds like the field is wide open then - I can think of so MANY things just to switch it up a bit!!!!

Prime Time 50's Chicken Pot Pie from Disney World is THE best chicken pot pie I have EVER had.

The only thing I do different is add frozen peas (defrosted in microwave and heated in the milk mixture at appropriate time) because no respectable pot pie doesn't have peas! lol Also, I make sure my broccoli is cut about the same size as the carrots (and I do squares just like the frozen ones). This is a lot of work so getting everything cut up and ready the night before is the key. Make 2 of them or you won't have enough! Serve a nice big salad or bread or something because this will be gone in no time due to "I just want one more bite......I just want one more bite" :chef:

The BEST frozen pie crust I have found to date is Marie Callender's.

If you do decide to go ahead and cook them the night before just tent with foil and re-heat).

Tomorrow is the big day. Going with the Chicken Divan..ty Kitchen Elf

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom