family foods others might call odd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
pickled herring is awesome!!!!! just bought a big jar, the kind with the onions.
lol.. I like the pickled herring.. just not the veal stuff!
icon_smile_dead.gif

DigitalAether said:
not odd 'family' food per se because my family looks at me like I'm off my rocker when I do this, but I LOVE PB&J with Nacho Cheese Doritos on the sandwich instead of on the side. ;)

i love boiled polish ham, mayo, lettuce, pickles, and doritos on wonder white bread. the doritos give it a good "crunch".

buckytom said:
DigitalAether said:
not odd 'family' food per se because my family looks at me like I'm off my rocker when I do this, but I LOVE PB&J with Nacho Cheese Doritos on the sandwich instead of on the side. ;)

i love boiled polish ham, mayo, lettuce, pickles, and doritos on wonder white bread. the doritos give it a good "crunch".
Exactly, its a texture thing! Your sammy sounds good too! I may have to try that. BTW: Love the Doors, Soul Kitchen is one of my favorites by them 8)

GB said:
Fried clams dipped in turkey gravy. OK, ANYTHING dipped in turkey gravy ;)

My FIL almost had a heart attack when we went to a clam shack and I did this. I think he wanted to take back his approval for me marrying his daughter.

They served turkey gravy at a clam shack :shock:

Barbara L said:
PA Baker said:
wasabi said:
Barbara L said:
Very cold cottage cheese with very hot baked beans dumped on top.

:) Barbara

I'm speechless.

Me too--you should have seen the look on my face when I read that one! Barbara, whatever makes you happy! :LOL:
As they say, don't knock it until you've tried it! It is actually a very good combination.

:) Barbara

Think I will take your word for this one. However, the weirdest thing I ever saw was a kit putting catsup on his pancakes, then topping with syrup. SPeaking of weird looks on your face, I almost lost my appetite. I really did not expect the kid to eat them, but he did.

Hey, lefse, just describe it as a tortilla made with potato! Close enough for those who've never tasted it. We can buy it in the grocery store here, but can't say I've had it since my North Dakota days .... guess it's time to pick some up and do something with it!!

kitchenelf said:
Growing up a real treat was when we had left-over rice we'd use it as a cereal - rice, milk, and sugar. SierraCook is the only other person I know if that does this - everyone else jus says ewwwww!

Heck, even I've done that!

AllenMI said:
kitchenelf said:
Growing up a real treat was when we had left-over rice we'd use it as a cereal - rice, milk, and sugar. SierraCook is the only other person I know if that does this - everyone else jus says ewwwww!

Heck, even I've done that!

we've done that too, but we add butter to it also

My friend Christal said that when she was growing up and her family was having some financial trouble, her mom would give her bread and milk for breakfast. Meaning, torn up bread pieces with sugar and milk poured on top.

Claire said:
Hey, lefse, just describe it as a tortilla made with potato! Close enough for those who've never tasted it. We can buy it in the grocery store here, but can't say I've had it since my North Dakota days .... guess it's time to pick some up and do something with it!!

The stuff in the plastic bags in the grocery stores tastes more like flour tortillas than lefse if you have had the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom