family foods others might call odd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
mine is canned kidney beans cooked in evaporated milk with black pepper. it's a family favorite. DELICIOUS. don't knock until you try it. we all love them, especially with steak.

I won't laugh at your beans and milk but can't emagine what it would tast like. My odd food is egg noodles cooked, coated with butter and add fried ham pieces topped with ketchup.I didn't think I would like it but after i tried it I have it anytime we have a little left over ham.

When I was a girl my father used to make egg noodles with milk, butter, salt and pepper when we were feeling poorly. I still love it.

Pam

I guess I am ruining the topic by adding a family food that not even I thought was good... but it's still a nasty little story I love to share. My mother had a thing for chicken innards... probably because she was raised in Louisiana or something, I dont know. Often we had breaded livers and hearts and all that, which I learned to love.

But...

She made this soup. It was a clear broth with WHOLE livers and hearts in it in all it's anatomical detail. First of all I am very sensitive to bitter things so the soup tasted "just wrong" to me. Second... there's nothing like picking up a liver with your spoon and having a still connected heart dangle from it while you raise it to your mouth.

:?

luvs_food said:
mine is canned kidney beans cooked in evaporated milk with black pepper. it's a family favorite. DELICIOUS. don't knock until you try it. we all love them, especially with steak.

this sounds good to me.
you drain the beans, add a can of Pet evapo and then add black pepper? is that it? I love legumes and this sounds like a sort of comfort food to me :LOL:

thumpershere2 said:
I won't laugh at your beans and milk but can't emagine what it would tast like. My odd food is egg noodles cooked, coated with butter and add fried ham pieces topped with ketchup.I didn't think I would like it but after i tried it I have it anytime we have a little left over ham.

My dad makes buttered noodles EVERY night! He doesn't put in the ham but, he sure goes through a lot of ketchup.

My husband's family is Greek and we eat a lot of lamb and goat. We love it but, people think that goat is pretty weird.

Pam Leavy said:
When I was a girl my father used to make egg noodles with milk, butter, salt and pepper when we were feeling poorly. I still love it.

Pam

sounds kinda tasty.... :)

LEFSElover said:
lefse, tender meat, milk toast, 'feel good'.
those are just the ones I can think of now.
Grandma used to ask me to make her milk bread. i think milk toast would be good comfort food.

LEFSElover said:
luvs_food said:

this sounds good to me.
you drain the beans, add a can of Pet evapo and then add black pepper? is that it? I love legumes and this sounds like a sort of comfort food to me :LOL:
well, we don't drain the beans.

Lutefisk, Gjetøst, (LEFSElover, lefse is not odd), sometimes dip fries in wasabi-mayo; original doritos dipped in cottage cheese, cold waffles, to name a few. As they pop into my mind, I will come back and edit.

PA Baker said:
LEFSElover said:
lefse, tender meat, milk toast, 'feel good'.
those are just the ones I can think of now.

What's lefse?

PA Baker, lefse is made from mashed potatoes, butter, milk (basically left over ones) which are mixed with enough flour to roll out and bake on a dry cast iron pan. THey look like a flour tortilla but have the most wondeful taste. They are a Norwegian flat bread.

Norgeskog, love gjetøst, although I had to copy your text since I have no idea how to get the slash through the 'o'.

Have a SIL who is Norwegian, second generation, who introduced me to the stuff.

There is little better.

auntdot said:
Norgeskog, love gjetøst, although I had to copy your text since I have no idea how to get the slash through the 'o'.

Have a SIL who is Norwegian, second generation, who introduced me to the stuff.

There is little better.

Google 'funny norwegian characters' and it gives a list of the odd characters in a lot of different languages.

BTW, do you know why the cheese is brown???? They carmelize the whey then mix all together. When I was young I had this dilusion that goats gave brown milk. I guess I was not blond for nothing.

Here's how I do all the extra "funny" characters.

Open MS Word. Click on <Insert> then "Special Characters". You'll get a dialog box. Under the "Symbols" tab, click the pull-down arrow and select "Times New Roman". This gives you all the extra foreign characters that "American" English doesn't use. Click and highlight the character you wish to use.

Now, there's two ways to do this:
1) Click the "Insert" button, and the character will be inserted into your document. Highlight, cut, and paste the character into your post on your browser.
2) If you look at the top, there will be a bit of text that shows the keyboard shortcut to "type" this character without going through all this trouble. For instance, the "o" with the slash through it, in lower-case, has a shortcut of Alt+0248. Press and HOLD the Alt key while typing the numbers 0248 at the same time. Once you type the last number, release the Alt key, and the character should appear. I've since found that I can type the keyboard shortcut in my browser (Opera v7.54) as well as MS Word, and it works. So, ø is easily typed. I've also found the Alt+0176 = ° (for temperatures) and Alt+0162 = ¢

Ok, now to get back onto topic. I can't really think of anything that my family ate that would be considered "weird". However, my DW's family does have a few things, the first of which that comes to my mind is that they like Tuna Noodle Casserole with Lay's Sour Cream -n- Onion potato chips crumbled on top. I honestly think that one got started by her Mom, since my DW always leaves ALL salt out of her cooking so her mother's sodium intake is lowered, that my MIL took to adding the potato chips for their salt content.

They also like to put ketchup on Fried Egg sandwiches. Me, I like mine plain, as-is, just bread and freshly-fried eggs.

Family Foods

Mine would be what we always called "Poor Mans' Pie".. In a unbaked pie shell you put a thin layer of sugar and then a thin layer of canned milk and stir this with your fingers. Then bake till nice and brown. Must have had something to do with the fingers.

norgeskog said:
PA Baker, lefse is made from mashed potatoes, butter, milk (basically left over ones) which are mixed with enough flour to roll out and bake on a dry cast iron pan. THey look like a flour tortilla but have the most wondeful taste. They are a Norwegian flat bread.

This sounds like something to add to my addictions! ;)
I am going to have to make this!

My Odds are:
Cottage Cheese with Picante Sauce
Slice of Velveeta with Sweet Pickle Relish on top
Potato Tacos

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom