"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #21
Head Chef

Having been raised in Texas, I feel it's my duty to say that real BBQ is made from beef. Anything else is a pretender. ;)

Famous Dave's makes the best brisket I've found here in beef bbq challenged East Tennessee. This isn't saying it's great, but it's passable.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

phinz, you live in absolutely the wrong state if you are in search of beef bbq.

Those who are of the pork persuasion would call you a barbarian; however, I will not.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:51 PM   #23
Senior Cook

I was born and raised in Memphis. I was also raised on Memphis style BBQ.

Many years later when fate took me to Texas- I was appalled- when they make BBQ they don't even start with the right animal.

Over time I learned to like briskit, and sausage, and turkey and all the rest. I learned it is all good- if there is a competent pit master at the controls.

In my experience he doesnt work at Famous Dave's. Too bad....
Old 10-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #24
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to bubba_sybo
I went to the one in Plymouth MI a couple times about a year ago. They have a few different sampler plates depending on how many people you have. If you get one for 4 people it feeds more like 6. Thay also bring it out on a garbage can lid. Now thats classy!!They also have great beer!! I think it was like their own brand or something. Anyway the coolest thing (I thought) was they have like six different sauces right the at the table for you!! I love condiments and BBQ sauce is my favorite so I was like a pig in...ummm ..a smoker!!
I still like C.W. Ribs in plymouth MI better. But not the kinda place u want to take a gang of people, but if u r from S.E. MI I would say it is worth looking into. THE best BBQ ribs I have ever had. F.D.'s is nowhere close but a different beast. I reccoment it
Old 10-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #25
Master Chef

We've never eaten there before. In fact, I don't know of any near us. Too bad because I'd suggest going because DH favorite meal out is BBQ Ribs.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #26
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Im in the Chicago area. Famous Daves ROCKS!!! Its not the best around here, but I LOVE it. I asked the brisket out.... it turned me down.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

We've eaten at the Novi, MI Famous Daves three times. Midweek lunch was great, midweek Supper was also good. The Weekend Supper was disapointing-the ribs in the combo were tough. we complained, were given more- a bit better but no where near as tender as during a mid week visit.I think they are cutting the time in the smoker and finishing on the grill when busy. They should be able to smoke enough product for their anticipated weekend crowd and get the ribs tender consistently. The Brisket was tender each time.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Thumbs up

The closest famous daves to me is about an hour 1.25 hours away. I never go that directly so ive never been. I have tried famous daves bbq sauce in my local walmart and its one of my favorites. Until recently we had NOOOO good bbq places around where i live. We had smokey bones which is an overpriced grilling place which is FAR from bbq and we also have corkies which SUCKS too. Then we got a hickory river in town within the last year which i think is very good. They specialize in brisket which i think is pretty darn good (not as good as my brisket) but a lot easier :).

Ncage
Old 12-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Famour Daves spicy BBQ sauce tasted just like Gates Kansas City BBQ Sauce IMHO.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanticf16
Famour Daves spicy BBQ sauce tasted just like Gates Kansas City BBQ Sauce IMHO.
Hmm never hard their "spicy" bbq sauce but i probably wouldn't like it if it tastes like gates bbq sauce because i don't like gates. I have tried their sweet bbq sauce which i really really like. I also have tried their chipotle bbq sauce which i also liked.