"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 03-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
Executive Chef
For the best hotel Italian dining in Vegas there's only place to go: The Bellagio

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
Executive Chef
As far as Italian goes Im betting the little mom and pop restaurants that have been around for years hafto be the best bet for consistantly good food.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:07 AM   #13
I agree with you jpm-something about the "little guys" trying harder- and homemade always beats out trying to impress me with something "fancy"
jap1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:47 AM   #14
Senior Cook
I have to agree that the little "mom and pop" restaurants seemingly always have better food than the "fancy" places. My husband and I had an experience once where we went to what was supposed to be a very nice place in Princeton for dinner on an anniversary date and the food was a huge disappointment and, even going back about 30 yrs., our bill was close to $100 w/tip. UGH. When we still lived in NJ, there was a little unpretentious, but nice, Italian restaurant in a small strip shopping center in Mt. Holly that was just great. Everything was definitely homemade and portions generous. Our daughter and son-in-law would always give us gift cards on our anniversary dates for this restaurant and we never got bored or too much of the "good things" they had to offer. We definitely miss dinners there since having moved to DE.
cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
sorry to hear about it z.
a "c" note should have gotten you a better meal. better luck next time i guess.

cioppino is a tricky dish to make well. i used to have a recipe that stressed the importance of the timing of adding the fishes, and how long to let each simmer. if you go too long, as it sounded the restaurant did, you get fairly tasty rubber.

i made it once really well by strictly following the timing. another time was rubber, because i didn't pay attention. i have to see if i can find that recipe again. it was just a clipping from a newspaper.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:09 AM   #16
Master Chef
We used to go to St. Louis for the weekend occasionally, and one can get the best of Italian food on "The Hill". Of all the wonderful Italian restaurants there, Tony's is our favorite. They have excellent service, and really good food. It is pricey, but you'll find it money well spent. If you are ever in St. Louis, check it out.
The restaurants are all closed on Sunday though.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote