"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Head Chef

Fancy Italian Restaurant

My girlfriend and I got the opportunity to eat at a nice Italian restaurant over the weekend. She works for Harrahs, and we were "shopping" the customer service and amenities at the Flamingo this weekend.

We ate at a restaurant called "Ventuno" at the Flamingo. We had an antipasto all'Italiana for starters, which was very nice. For our main courses I had the Saltimbocca alla Romana... robustly flavorful and good. My girlfriend got the Cioppino (clams, mussels, calimari, codfish, scallops, shrimp and a 1/2 pound Maine lobster in a light tomato broth, served with fresh crostini). The dish was very well presented and the crostini was very nice. But... the shrimp, lobster, scallops (the only things I tasted from her meal) were WAY 'chewy'... Very disappointing, especially at a restaurant that is supposedly "fine dining". Of course we let the chef know and we included brutally honest and factual comments on our review.

This was especially disappointing because we RARELY do the "fine dining" thing. Prices are often very high and there is no guarantee of quality. We prefer to go to less 'fancy' places where we KNOW the food will be nicely prepared (or to prepare meals ourselves - - we often comment "we could do better than this" LOL).

Old 03-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Aw Z I'm sorry it wasn't that good. I'd rather eat cheap knowing the food is good than fine dining not knowing how it's going to be too.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Don't ya just hate that Z?

Well at least you got to have a nice time with the gf and neither of you
had to do the dishes!! ( Always look at the bright side, life is more fun that way)
Old 03-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Head Chef

Yeah... we still had a nice time, but I have eaten GOOD Italian before (several times) so was pretty disappointed with the food there. I'm glad WE weren't paying for it or I might have been more than 'disappointed'. I don't know. Is it just me, or should one expect more when dinner for two comes to just under $100?

The next morning we reviewed the Buffet. Neither of us are big buffet fans ('Buffett', sure... but that's another topic) so we weren't expecting too much... so we weren't as disappointed when that was ordinary.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Nope.. it's not just you. You should have gotten better for your money.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
Everymom

Aw Z that is too bad. And no, for $100 you should expect the meal to be really danged good. Bet you're wishing you'd gone for the steak now aren't you?

Ah well, at least you didn't have to shell out with your own $. Now THAT would have really been upsetting.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Aw Z that is too bad. And no, for $100 you should expect the meal to be really danged good. Bet you're wishing you'd gone for the steak now aren't you?

Ah well, at least you didn't have to shell out with your own $. Now THAT would have really been upsetting.
Exactly... and, yes. The Steak House, in hindsight, would seem to have been a better choice.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

That kind of makes me think that the soup was held hot, in quantity, then ladled up and served as orders came in. If the soup warmer is set to hot, the soup can continue cooking over time. In fact, even is the warmer is set correctly, over many, many hours, the soup will still overcook.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

That is really unfortunate. When you let the chef know was their any response?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
Head Chef

Well, no. We didn't speak to him (or her) personally. But we were very clear about our 'issues' with the meal with our server who ASSURED us that she would inform the chef.