Fat Tuesday Dinner - 2/13/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No idea. Mom (and I) spent the night at ICU. No recliner for me. Mom slept like a baby, I did not. Luckily, it was just diarrhea, not influenza or anything else. On paper, her labs look great. And she's gained three pounds since October.

No idea. Mom (and I) spent the night at ICU. No recliner for me. Mom slept like a baby, I did not. Luckily, it was just diarrhea, not influenza or anything else. On paper, her labs look great. And she's gained three pounds since October.
Why on earth would you talk about that in the dinner thread? Way TMI.

It is Pancake day in UK , so of course we had pancakes for dinner but it is also Semla day in Sweden, so we had that for dessert. Isnt it great when two cultures collide in perfect harmony?

27982986_621642431500503_2905800702916652066_o.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of on the chilly side here today, so I have a pot of navy bean and ham soup simmering on the stove. I'll also throw some chopped carrots and onions into the pool - they're prepped and ready.

I'm doing a throw back dinner tonight also. My kids always loved it..
Never had a name for it though.

Meaty "Farmer Style" pork shoulder ribs in a pan. In this order, squirt ketchup on them, then paper thin sliced onion, then a hand full of brown sugar, then top the whole thing with paper thin lemon slices. Bake uncovered at 325 for 1 hr, cover with foil and bake another hour.
It smells fantastic, and tastes even better.

Last edited:
I used leftover Cuban roast pork from yesterday to make a proper Cuban Sandwich tonight.

CD

Attachments

• CubanSammy001.jpg
    CubanSammy001.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 135
But wait! It's also National Italian Food Day! I love Italian food.

https://foodimentary.com/2018/02/13/february-13th-is-national-italian-food-day-2/

Decisions, decisions, what's a boy to do?

I think I'll go with spaghetti and clams, green salad on the side.

What a kawinkydink! DH and I decided last night that we would go to run a whole big bunch of errands today and then finish it all off with a very late lunch/early dinner at Olive Garden... we haven't been there in YEARS!!!
And y'know what? It was really good. It happens that they have a special between 3p-5p on discounted meals!!!
Chicken Parm for DH and Shrimp Scampi for moi... we shared an all-you-can-eat-salad and bread sticks :yum: the best bread sticks!!! We're both STUFFED! We brought home a piece of cake, just in case we get a bit peckish :rolleyes:

CWS, I'm so sorry that you got no sleep, but so glad that Mom is okay ... no matter the circumstance ;) Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!!

What a kawinkydink! DH and I decided last night that we would go to run a whole big bunch of errands today and then finish it all off with a very late lunch/early dinner at Olive Garden... we haven't been there in YEARS!!! And y'know what? It was really good. It happens that they have a special between 3p-5p on discounted meals!!! Chicken Parm for DH and Shrimp Scampi for moi... we shared an all-you-can-eat-salad and bread sticks :yum: the best bread sticks!!!

You had the Early Bird Special at Olive Garden. You are now officially "old." :LOL:

CD :mrgreen:

Last edited:
You had the Early Bird Special at Olive Garden. You are now officially "old." :LOL:

CD :mrgreen:

BAHAHAHA!
That's what I asked DH as we sat there, looking around, waiting for our meal, and it was CROWDED! It was like 4 o'clock in the afternoon and I said, "we're old, dang it!" We had to actually WAIT to be seated! AH, but they have a customer appeasement tactic in place now..."half price glass of wine while you wait, thank you for your patience" Oh My GAWD!!! :LOL:

CW, I hope you and your Mom feel better soon. Might be a good idea to share updates with us in The Sick Room thread, though. ;)

Nice looking Cuban, cd.

...its a pizza and Olympics night for me...
U.S.A! U.S.A!
USFlagIcon.png

We worked our way through leftovers...and about a half loaf of fresh-baked bread. Himself finished off the stuffed pepper with fresh-made veggies and baked potato on the side. I had about 2/3 of the scalloped ham and potatoes with veggies. Watched the mens' snowboarding while eating...and gasping!

Attachments

• 20180213_221442.jpg
    20180213_221442.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 127
CW, I hope you and your Mom feel better soon. Might be a good idea to share updates with us in The Sick Room thread, though. ;)

Nice looking Cuban, cd.

U.S.A! U.S.A!
USFlagIcon.png

We worked our way through leftovers...and about a half loaf of fresh-baked bread. Himself finished off the stuffed pepper with fresh-made veggies and baked potato on the side. I had about 2/3 of the scalloped ham and potatoes with veggies. Watched the mens' snowboarding while eating...and gasping!

I never got into the whole snowboarding thing. I was a skier, and back then, snowboarders were the guys who tore up our slopes. Granted, I was all about downhill skiing -- I just wanted to go really, really fast, and maybe hit a rise and get some air. Snowboarding is not like that, at all.

I am happy that Shaun White got another Gold. I don't understand his sport, but do like his passion for it.

Oh, this is a food thread. Those scalloped potatoes with ham sound like some good comfort food on a cold night.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom