"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Since I've introduced Glenn to Cornish hens, he's become almost addicted, so we're going to have those on the rotisserie with garlic and herbs under the skin. I'll probably do some corn-on-the cob (frozen from last year's garden), a big salad of fresh garden lettuce and whatever else I can come up with. Glenn loves everything on the menu and is soooooo easy to cook for I can hardly believe it.

We'll wash everything down with some iced tea and finish with nearly the last of the strawberry cake I made a while ago.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't used to like Cornish hens, but now I find they are just the right size for a lot of dishes where I don't want a ton of leftovers.

I found some raw shrimp at the town store. I know they didn't used to carry them and it looks like they just added them amongst all the cooked shrimp. They had one row for them and I got the last bag. From the warm farm waters of Thailand, but it is what it is, lol. Maybe they will add more if people keep buying them.
They even had bags of clams in the meat cooler. Surprised the heck out of me. I passed on those...

Old 06-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Cold and dreary here, feels like a comfort food day. Although I can see it brightening up out over the water, it may clear up by dinner time. The dreariness is making me think soup, chili, or chicken pot pie, something on that order, any ideas????? DH is easy and doesn't expect anything special for father's day!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
I didn't used to like Cornish hens, but now I find they are just the right size for a lot of dishes where I don't want a ton of leftovers.

I found some raw shrimp at the town store. I know they didn't used to carry them and it looks like they just added them amongst all the cooked shrimp. They had one row for them and I got the last bag. From the warm farm waters of Thailand, but it is what it is, lol. Maybe they will add more if people keep buying them.
They even had bags of clams in the meat cooler. Surprised the heck out of me. I passed on those...
Pac, just curious, when you say "town store" is the town really small? Is the store a regular grocery store?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
Senior Cook

No fathers here but i'm having some hamburg steak, Sautéed Onions and Perogies. Had some home made Taquitos for lunch
Old 06-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

James got to pick anywhere he wanted to go for lunch after church. I was kind of hoping for something involving steak and tons of good bread, but he opted for comfort instead. We went through Wendy's Drive-thru.

We are having tostadas for supper tonight. I was going to get some avocados so we can have guacamole on them, but the only avocados they had that were soft enough looked bad, but the tostadas will be yummy even without the guacamole.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Pac, just curious, when you say "town store" is the town really small? Is the store a regular grocery store?
Well, they think they're a regular grocery store

Yeah, it's pretty small. I don't even like shopping there and actually didn't for a couple years. Too many bad experiences with rank food that was dated just fine. Something was amiss in their food handling. And it's still not uncommon to see ground turkey in the cooler a few days past expiration... on sale... That is, the few times a year they even have ground turkey.
They have new ownership now, so some things might be improving. Four minutes away you can't beat it for impulse eating though. And they have great homemade pepperoni balls. Those clear off the shelf fast.
And they did have my shrimp, so I'll give that two thumbs up.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i would like to live in a small town like that for a year, pac, just to see what it's like. in my oft backwards kind of thinking, i figure giving up lots of well stocked supermarkets from everywhere around the world (and the neighbors to go with them, right on top of you all the time), there must be many other advantages. like peace and quiet, and privacy.

ok, so, happy papa's day to all the dads.

we're going to joe's crab shack for dinner tonight. i've always wanted to go to one. i know it's stupid, but their tv ads always look so good. i sure hope it's not just another red lobster.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Charcoal grilled 18 oz strip steak (2" thick) with mushroom and onions topping and large green salad.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i would like to live in a small town like that for a year, pac, just to see what it's like. in my oft backwards kind of thinking, i figure giving up lots of well stocked supermarkets from everywhere around the world (and the neighbors to go with them, right on top of you all the time), there must be many other advantages. like peace and quiet, and privacy...
Well, rumor has it you can breathe in a small town...

Seriously, I imagine I like it here more than I would like living/working in NYC, but I am always envious of the food selection and markets I read about. Driving to the closest city isn't much of a step up for me

Tags
dinner