"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Yep, LOL, I was assured "Daddy time" with the smoked oysters
With my dad, it was fresh oysters. Around Christmas, he would order a gallon of fresh oysters, and he, I, and anyone around who wanted them, would dig into the gallon. Neither my mom or sister would go anywhere near them. At around 14 or so, it was also my only authorized time to drink a beer. Coors 3.2. Mom would then turn the remainder into oyster stew. Mom would eat the stew, never the oysters.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68
Mom would eat the stew, never the oysters.
Our family did the same, Bigjim. We always had oyster stew on Christmas Eve. And despite the fact that my dad loved smoked oysters, he would never eat the oysters in the stew, like your mom.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #33
Head Chef

Does anyone have any idea where the tradition of oyster stew on Christmas Eve came from? I come from 4 generations of Nebraska Danes, about as far from oyster beds as you can get, and, for as long as I can remember, oyster stew has been on the Christmas Eve menu in the family. I've ofter wondered, never had a clue.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #34
Master Chef

goodness, where do we protest against our horrible cooks of parents????? My mom's best meal was a terrible beef steak..............ok....it was a meat loaf ( stretch your imaginations)and it was horrible..........and she forced us to eat it..........yeach...............
Old 07-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
goodness, where do we protest against our horrible cooks of parents????? My mom's best meal was a terrible beef steak..............ok....it was a meat loaf ( stretch your imaginations)and it was horrible..........and she forced us to eat it..........yeach...............
You are so right. My mom could make the best ever potato salad, tomato and potao soups, fried chicken, and pie crust. Past that, I beat her every way. Dad and I used to hunt a lot, and he had a friend that fattened a steer for him each year, and we grew our own vegetables. Everything was overcooked. Meat had to break or no go. Vegetables boiled to mush, usually with some form of grease She used to absolutely cringe when I cooked an antelope steak in a red hot skillet for a couple of minutes, then ate it. Never did get that terrible disease she knew about.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #36
Master Chef

oh, goodness, BigJim,,,,,,,,,,,oh my I'm laughing my head off at your description of your Mom's cooking.........we're both in the doghouse.........my mum was great at other things........just not cooking.......I feel sorry for whoever inherits my daughter.......she can bake but that's it.......my d-i-l is worse........her mom told me when i first met her........Kayla will be a great Mom (which she is) but Chris will starve (my son) and she's right....she does NOT cook.......has NO interest whatsovever like my daughter either..........my son has learned to cook himself......he's had to........now he is a cop.........I don't know where this is going to go...........but I know that Kayla isn't going to cook :)
Old 07-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #37
Executive Chef

We were not well off, but mom was a great cook and frugal. The ham became pea or bean soup and to this day I love homemade split pea or bean soup served with popovers.
Lamb chops were cheap and we often got those, the shoulder chops. Yum. Liver and onions and a baked potato...fresh liver not frozen. It was and still is a fave. Salmon loaf or cakes with drill cheese sauce. A pork roast became savory pot pie the next day with a cheddar cheese crust. And of course pot roast (beef stew as left overs) and stuffed and roasted chicken. These were the "comfort foods of my childhood", and I still love them. Luckily, not one of mom's recipes died with her. We have them all as we cooked as a family.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I used to think I was a picky eater. I hated mashed potatoes, roast, most meats, Mexican food,etc., etc, etc. Why? Because it was all bland and hard to chew.

Then when I started going out to eat as a teenager/young adult I realized that the whole time it was just my mom's mashed potatoes, roast, meat, Mexican food, etc. I didn't like. Don't you dare tell her though! Oddly enough, DH felt the same way about his mothers cooking.

In our house now we put plenty of flavor and plenty of moisture in the meat!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #39
Head Chef

Robo, my mom was a great cook, too. Not fancy, but good food. She taught school all day and came home and cooked a well-balanced meal for us every night. Even dessert! Meat loaf, pot roast, pork chops, fried chicken, corned beef hash, macaroni and cheese...her recipes live on as well, through my sister and me. Both of us love to cook, and it is a gift we got from her.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #40
Master Chef

BigJim it was probably trichinosis that she was worried about............from pork.........my mother OVERCOOKED everything. as a result of worrying about it.......I remember..............just a bad cook.......but I loved her just the same..........terrible, terrible food, however................at least it sounds like you got some decent foods......not my mother...........all was bad.....except for maybe potatos but who could mess those up..................anyway I sound really down and I'm not........my mother I love very much tho I lost her at age 9 to breast cancer............girls have your breast exams........and, no, guys, unless you're a GYN you're not involved..........