"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #41
Master Chef

Site Moderator

My Mom used to boil vegetables until they were mush, canned veggies no less. Even fresh veggies were boiled beyond soft. She could make other things really really well, just not vegetables.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
BigJim it was probably trichinosis that she was worried about............from pork.........my mother OVERCOOKED everything. as a result of worrying about it.......I remember..............just a bad cook.......but I loved her just the same..........terrible, terrible food, however................at least it sounds like you got some decent foods......not my mother...........all was bad.....except for maybe potatos but who could mess those up..................anyway I sound really down and I'm not........my mother I love very much tho I lost her at age 9 to breast cancer............girls have your breast exams........and, no, guys, unless you're a GYN you're not involved..........
It was trhchinosis with the pork, worms (particularly tapeworms) with other stuff. I told her she would die of malnutrition or lack of vitamins. I'm a healthy 70, and she is now 96. I guess we were both wrong.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #43
Senior Cook

I fondly remember my mother and grandmother spending days making hundreds of ravioli and gnocchi, especially for the holidays. They were always my favorite part of the meal! Bugia, Italian deep fried cookies, were also a holiday treat -- I remember having the job of sprinkling the cookies with powdered sugar after my mother had taken them out of the hot oil and drained them on paper towels. Around the holidays, boxes of these cookies were always "hidden" in our linen closet, but I knew where they were!

Then there was my aunt -- not the best cook in the world, but she always had a tea party for us when we visited her -- crustless olive sandwiches, green jello squares, and tiny cream puffs filled with rum flavored whipped cream. She never served tea -- always, Tab, one of the first sugarfree soft drinks. Quite a tea party, huh?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieshelly View Post
I fondly remember my mother and grandmother spending days making hundreds of ravioli and gnocchi, especially for the holidays. They were always my favorite part of the meal! Bugia, Italian deep fried cookies, were also a holiday treat -- I remember having the job of sprinkling the cookies with powdered sugar after my mother had taken them out of the hot oil and drained them on paper towels. Around the holidays, boxes of these cookies were always "hidden" in our linen closet, but I knew where they were!

Then there was my aunt -- not the best cook in the world, but she always had a tea party for us when we visited her -- crustless olive sandwiches, green jello squares, and tiny cream puffs filled with rum flavored whipped cream. She never served tea -- always, Tab, one of the first sugarfree soft drinks. Quite a tea party, huh?

your aunt sounds like a very loving person. she gave you a wonderful memory. that is all any of us can hope to do

babe
Old 07-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
BigJim it was probably trichinosis that she was worried about............from pork.........my mother OVERCOOKED everything. as a result of worrying about it.......I remember..............just a bad cook.......but I loved her just the same..........terrible, terrible food, however................at least it sounds like you got some decent foods......not my mother...........all was bad.....except for maybe potatos but who could mess those up..................anyway I sound really down and I'm not........my mother I love very much tho I lost her at age 9 to breast cancer............girls have your breast exams........and, no, guys, unless you're a GYN you're not involved..........
I knew we were related! My mom is a really horrible cook and she's the first one to admit it. I was extremely thin as a kid because I was a picky eater and just couldn't stomach most of it. I survived on peanut butter sandwiches and milk. The things she did with ground beef should be illegal! Thank goodness she has so many other wonderful qualities and was lots of fun. Otherwise, all I'd have are painful childhood memories of sitting in front of congealing meatloaf for hours trying to choke it down.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #46
Master Chef

I thought about this thread about a week ago when I was remembering my mom and dad's roast. There was nothing special about the roast itself other than tasing wonderful, but what made the memory so special is in the afternoon, my dad would draw off a bit of broth from the roast and bring to my mom and me to sip on. It was always sooo good and brings back such warm memories!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
It was trhchinosis with the pork, worms (particularly tapeworms) with other stuff. I told her she would die of malnutrition or lack of vitamins. I'm a healthy 70, and she is now 96. I guess we were both wrong.

hahaha....she's living to spite you........how funny.......thanks for sharing......I'd love to meet her..........
Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I knew we were related! My mom is a really horrible cook and she's the first one to admit it. I was extremely thin as a kid because I was a picky eater and just couldn't stomach most of it. I survived on peanut butter sandwiches and milk. The things she did with ground beef should be illegal! Thank goodness she has so many other wonderful qualities and was lots of fun. Otherwise, all I'd have are painful childhood memories of sitting in front of congealing meatloaf for hours trying to choke it down.
unfortunately my mother never admitted it........my poor dad.....after what granmma cooked which was real plain fare...... but good......I now look back and feel sorry for him.........he must have luved her is all I can say.....4 kids in 5 years.......yep, that qualifies.........
Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 AM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
been there done that, Fisher's mom, for a woman who couldn't cook, she would force us to sit in front of a plate of canned spinach.......and expect me and my two sisters to eat it.........it was done to her............always vowed from the age of 5 that I would NEVER force my child to eat anything that they didn't want.......anyway we all 3 sat staring at the horrible green slime in front of us.......I tried eating it on a sandwich with ketchup...........the memory is making me gag now as I post.....my sister who wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer bent down and immediately I put my green slime on her plate.............she never even noticed.....I got a reprieve from the horrible spinach.... my mother never forced it on us again..........literally the memory is making me gag...........