"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Executive Chef

5 Spot, Seattle, Queen Anne Hill, breakfast

Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I have found over the years that some of the best places to eat are the places that may not look like much on the outside, or just seem so small that you would not think they could offer much in delighting your pallet. Well, I have a few places that I just can't resist and go to over and over because the food is awesome and the price just can't be beat!

What little tucked away places do you like to eat at?

Here are 3 of my favorties:

Joe's Pasta and Pizza - this place is actually an OLD Taco Bell joint tat has been dudded up with cheesy decorations. But the place is a real joy to eat at, great food and huge portions for $$.

Chef Point - This is a little cafe melded into a gas station... of all places, but they have awesome gormet meals that you just would not expect!

Shell's - Awesome little seafood joint in Port Aransas that has less than 10 tables, probably as big as a tool shed, but a vast menu and awesome ingredients makes this place worth a visit!!!
Too cool, Sattie! Shell's has been at the top of my list since I found it 5 or 6 years ago. The story behind the restaurant is that the owner/chef named Shelly was a chef at Marcel's, a very pricey and upscale restaurant in Port A. She regularly pushed the owner to alter the menu to include some reasonably priced items, saying it bothered her that the locals could only afford to wait tables there, but not to eat. Apparently the owner finally told her "If you want to feed the locals, open your own restaurant." So she did!

Second on my list is a funky little place called Taco Kitchen. You have to go to a counter to order (tables but no wait staff) so I usually just get take out. But the bean and cheese soft tacos (also bean and rice) are always wonderful.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I like eating at the Roadkill Cafe.....what a menu they have!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Deamland in Tuscaloosa can be good! Not the best, but a fun stop!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Deamland in Tuscaloosa can be good! Not the best, but a fun stop!
One of those opened here in Huntsville a few years back, but I haven't eaten there yet. I'll have to try it out.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I forgot about this place in San Antonio that I love. It's in an old house downtown that is leaning seriously to the side and has a huge old oak tree growing up through it. It's a fixture here in SA and a must-go-to if you ever visit the Alamo city. Here's the link for the Liberty Bar and Grill Liberty Bar | Serious Food
Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
One of those opened here in Huntsville a few years back, but I haven't eaten there yet. I'll have to try it out.
The Original in Tuscaloosa was good. The franchises I dunno about. I ate at one of the franchise outlets in Mobile a few years back and it was less than ok! Maybe they are like Corky's in Memphis. The original was very good! The franchises are just plain bad. A total waste of my time and money! In the old days Dreamland in Tuscaloosa had a great appetizer. A 6 oz. styrofoam cup with BBQ sauce and two peices of "light bread" Oh, and they only had three items on lthe menu, Ribs, Ribs and Ribs.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #18
Head Chef

Not quite hole in a wall places but I have a few that are awesome and you would normally not hear about them in your normal city guides or culinary journals.

Jimmy's Hotdogs
Grand and Pulaski in Chicago

Awesome place in a not so great neighbourhood. The best hotdogs and fries wrapped up together and provided in a simple brown paper bag. Gosh I get a craving just thinking about it. The fries are greasy and your car smells like them for days but I can't explain how good they are.

Thai Garden
Schaumburg, IL

Always busy and food is great. The satays and the tom yum soup is truly the best I have had and I have had quite a few different ones around US and also in Europe and none compare to this. The curries and the fish entrees (pomfret) is to die for.

Sabri
Devon Avenue, Chicago

Sabri is a Pakistani place and while its not everyone's cup of tea (food is pretty spicy and curries are extremely authentic) the food is outstanding. The place is not much to look at from the outside but again hoards of crowds and long waiting times on weekends. The sheek kababs, chicken boti (tikka), chapli kababs are to die for. The most popular dish on the menu is a beef curry called Nihari. It's super spicy and super delicious with the gigantic size naans they serve. They also have great kulfi and falooda (a milk based dessert)
Old 09-21-2007, 08:13 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I live in a very rural area, so not much in the "hole-in-the-wall" is available here. However, whenever we're out poking around or traveling, we seem to have a 6th sense about picking good restaurants.

As someone has already said, sometimes some of the places aren't much to look at from the outside, but the food they offer is wonderful. That's such a treat when it happens and, most of the time, we are only in the area once so we don't get a chance to enjoy the tasty delights on a regular basis.

Buck adds, "The best meatloaf I've ever had in my life was at The Dairyette in Golconda, Illinois. The voices in my head told me to stop there."

I have to second Buck's comments. Fabulous meal.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
There's a few. The Red Chimney, best diner food.
Frankie's, the best garlic wings I have tried.

And there's Bubba's. It looks like a hole in the wall
place from the outside but it's really nice inside.
It's owned by former Nfl player Al "Bubba" Baker.
So there's lot of Brown's memorabilia. He actually
works there himself with his daughter and wife.
He mingles with all of his customers. Just a really
really nice place.

Best bbq we have in the Cleveland area.