"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 09-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
Master Chef
Favorite 'hole in the wall' places you like to eat!

I have found over the years that some of the best places to eat are the places that may not look like much on the outside, or just seem so small that you would not think they could offer much in delighting your pallet. Well, I have a few places that I just can't resist and go to over and over because the food is awesome and the price just can't be beat!

What little tucked away places do you like to eat at?

Here are 3 of my favorties:

Joe's Pasta and Pizza - this place is actually an OLD Taco Bell joint tat has been dudded up with cheesy decorations. But the place is a real joy to eat at, great food and huge portions for $$.

Chef Point - This is a little cafe melded into a gas station... of all places, but they have awesome gormet meals that you just would not expect!

Shell's - Awesome little seafood joint in Port Aransas that has less than 10 tables, probably as big as a tool shed, but a vast menu and awesome ingredients makes this place worth a visit!!!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Executive Chef
The town I live in is Loaded with restaurants. The only one I would reccomend to anyone is Murphy's Steakhouse. The rest of them are way too expensive and the quality doesn't match the price.

Another spot not too far from me is Zachary's. Great menu, good drinks and won't empty your wallet. I have never had a bad experience there and they have weekly All You Can Eat specials.

There we're a few restauraunts we used to frequent, but change of hands or different chefs has brought them downhill.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Head Chef
Miller's Bar, Dearborn MI. Great burgers.

The Whitefish Bar, Curtis MI. Great pizza and beer (Is it because I'm on vacation when I go there?)

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Head Chef
Red's in Matalacha Florida. Looks like a biker dive from the outside but the variety and quality of the food inside makes up for the atomsphere.
Also a little place in a little place in Buckingham Florida called the Hut is suprising fantastic!
Life is short.So eat great food!
Renee Attili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Head Chef
I love to find a good hole in the wall type restaurant. Can't say I have any local ones anymore.

When in FL my dh and I like to eat at the Whale's Rib in Deerfield beach. Curtis's Ribs in Putney VT. Clam Shack in Falmouth MA. Mimo's in York ME.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Sous Chef
I don't even remember the name of this place. Way out in the sticks - north and west of Terre Haute, Indiana - was (is??) an American/Italian restaurant that sold huge plates of their entrees for a few bucks and bottles of swill beer for $1. For under $5, you were filled up with really, really great pasta (sauces made from scratch) and cheap beer. I think you could get cheese ravioli, manicotti or spaghetti marinara... those were your only options. The place looked like the dining room of a really bad retirement home or high school cafeteria. But the food was great and there was a line out the door every night.
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Executive Chef
A couple Mexican restaurants in the Mission back home in San Francisco that are to die for....too bad I'm 6000 miles away from them until I move home next year!
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
There's a Waffle World near us where you can get breakfast all day and comfort-food-type entrees for under $10 - they have sandwiches, salads, hot entrees like meatloaf and mashed potatoes, pork chops and scalloped potatoes, or baked fish and rice (there are veggie sides, but we're usually there for breakfast).

Lately we've been going to an out-of-the-way seafood restaurant that is well-known by the locals - a neighborhood hangout with an outside deck and live entertainment. They have appetizers, seafood entrees that can be fried, blackened, broiled or sauteed, burgers and salads.

Then there's the well-known, locally, pork barbecue restaurant with service in your car. The only thing the servers are missing is the skates And a place called Dog & Burger that also serves pork and other kinds of barbecue, wraps and salads.

Hm, we have a better selection than I realized
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Head Chef
This is an easy one..
Marty's pub in Converse Indiana-- outstanding steaks!!!

Big Rells, Kokomo For lunch they have great food. Good ribs on Friday and Saturday.

Bonge's Tavern..Perkinsville Indiana. Only a few items on the menu--all 4 star quality!

Ned's Corner Pub. Kokomo The large tenderloin is outrageous.
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
Master Chef
I now live in a tourist town, so there aren't many "hole in the walls" the way there were in other places I've lived. Here the best-kept-secret from the Chicago tourists is the "supper clubs". I'm sure there must be a history of them. Most small towns have a supper club just outside of the town limits. There is a bar and restaurant, and it is probably open only a few nights a week. Some of the best food I've had in the midwest (I've been to them in Illinois and Wisconsin) have been at these places. Quite often the chefs are a bit more adventurous than they might be at a restaurant in town. A friend from the south told me she thought they were road houses (which is another story entirely), and was surprised that they are very nice restaurants. The best kept secret in our part of the world.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote