Favorite Quick Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhanson

Cook
Have had some busy evenings lately, so was wondering what you all make when pressed for time?

I make quesadillas. The most basic ones I make are just tortillas and cheese. They are inexpensive, and very quick. If I have leftovers in the fridge then those can usually be thrown into the quesadillas too. Any sort of ground meat works well. Veggies that you have on hand will almost always work. Your imagination is really the only limiting factor.

It seems like whenever we are in need of a fast meal, we use our gas grill. Grilling is so fast, you just throw something on and it's done in a few minutes. Another idea is if you have a crock pot and extra time in the morning, you can leave it to cook all day and come home to a meal that is all done.
-Brooke

I don't have a grill, so I'm a little more limited.
Taco salad
Chicken breasts Mozzarella
Spaghetti-beef wrap ups
Easy Zing Chicken (marinated chicken that I throw under broiler)
Marinated London Broil's
Chili Mac

my very favorite is veal scallopine. it one of the best flavors and it's tender and it only takes minutes to prep and a few more to cook.
pasta- usually angelhair and pesto, sometimes w/ bleu cheese or broiled chicken; fettucine alfredo; and angelhair w/ marinara sauce.
i also like to just broil a steak or some lamb chops and steam some green beans or make some wilted spinach w/ garlic and sometimes lemon.
another one is my 15-minute skillet supper. it's basically navy or great northern beans, ground beef and tomato sauce w/ spices.
i'm also a fan of the 'ol classic, grilled cheeses. i make them so many different ways. with all different cheeses and breads, sometimes w/ salami (frizzled salami is even better!:-p ) or ham, w/ sliced tomatoes or pickle slices inbetween the cheese layers.
some of my favorite grilled cheeses:
-shredded mozzarella, sliced green tomato and lots of black pepper on crusty bread.
-shredded cheddar and tomato on multigrain bread. lots of pepper on that one, too. hot sauce is good to dip these in.
cream cheese and salami on small kaiser rolls.

i love cold sammiches, too. now, yeah, yeah, i know this one sounds odd, but i LOVE baked bean sandwiches. i read about them in a book i was reading about the depression era and they just sounded so yummy i had to try them. cold baked beans on a roll, (hot if you want), and i added a few twists: plain or w/ cheddar cheese. garlic dill pickle makes a nice addition, as does yellow mustard.

When pressed for time I make a meal on a couple of crackers with peanut butter on them. :)

Boil up some pasta and add a good Puttanesca sauce from a jar to my portion, a few tablespoons of ready-made pesto to hubby's portion, and some grated cheese to the kids's portion :)

Another 'quickie' pasta sauce is to saute some ready-sliced button mushrooms, add a package of ready-cooked italian style chicken strips, a jar of sundried tomato alfredo sauce and a couple of teaspoons of sundried tomato paste. Heat it all up and toss in the pasta.

Make pizza toasted sandwiches in my sandwich maker by spreading some tomato paste onto the bread, adding ready-grated cheese and some dried italian mixed herbs, then topping it off with some pepperoni slices and another slice of bread...kids love this one too.

Paint.

Last edited:
tacos and boxed Mexican rice
chicken wings using frozen wings and coleslaw
hotdogs with canned baked beans
Trader Joe's vegetable pad thai
grilled cheese sandwich and soup
taco salad
cheese tortellini with marinara sauce and tossed green salad
pesto over noodles with minced garlic and grated parmesan cheese and salad

I have lots of options for quick dinners as I make large batches of stuff and freeze meal-sized portions. Chili, several tomato sauces, a variety of soups, etc. Also, quesadillas, omlets and fritattas.

Andy M. said:
I make large batches of stuff and freeze meal-sized portions. Chili, several tomato sauces, a variety of soups, etc.
I do the exact same thing Andy. As a matter of fact, anytime I make something that can be frozen I double the recipe at the minimum. I then portion out meal size amounts and freeze and label using my Foodsaver. When I freeze stuff I freeze it flat. That way the meals can be easily stacked and organized and they also defrost quicker than if frozen as a block.

GB said:
I then portion out meal size amounts and freeze and label using my Foodsaver.QUOTE]

i've been wanting a foodsaver for awhile. are they a good item to have around, geebs? i like to cook a lot and put it in the freezer, but it gets freezer burnt sometimes.
also, can you make boil in bag/microwaveable meals? i'd like to make some microwave meals for my fiance to take home and to work.

Last edited:
Wings... if not homemade the pre heated one's from the supermarket will suffice... If it should be homemade I usually make burgers and a cesar salad in the warmer time of the year and in the winter I LOVE SOUPS:chef:

luvs, I know you were asking GB about a foodsaver - 'scuse me for jumping in, but I LOVE my foodsaver. We vacuum pack everything. It is sooooo much better for freezing things. I live in an extremely dry climate and have had trouble with keeping my brown sugar soft. I recently tried vacuum packing it - and it works great! You need one...:)

small loin lamb chops with rosemary and garlic on the stove top grill, couscous with a hint of cinamon or curry, and green peas with a touch of mint. takes 15 min and is a feast

Food Savers Rule! I've had one for more than 10 years and I keep it on my counter because I use it sooooo much. I freeze wet stuff in containers then pop them into the bags. I re-use my bags. I use them for brining! They are wonderful! Don't know what I would do without one! And yes, you can boil them and microwave them (but pierce them or open them first and put them in a bowl) so they contain many of my favorite fast dishes.

Our all time favorite fast food is Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches to which my DH has becomne addicted.

Get one, get a good one, get the attachments (brining takes on a whole new meaning as does marinating) and let me know how you like it!

thanks, callie! if i can find room in one of my rubbermaid bins (i have 8 18-gallon ones stuffed full of items for my soon-to-be new kitchen, and it's getting a bit out of control:LOL:) i think i'll get one.

luvs_food said:
thanks, callie! if i can find room in one of my rubbermaid bins (i have 8 18-gallon ones stuffed full of items for my soon-to-be new kitchen, and it's getting a bit out of control:LOL:) i think i'll get one.

ehhh...throw something out and put the foodsaver in :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom