Feast of the Ass Dinner - 1/14/2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are two diffrerent brands of spring roll wrappers sold at our local Asian Market. One holds up very well, the other not so well ( they burst when cooking). I make the spring rolls not often enough to remember which is the good brand. So, sure enough, I bought the bad brand of spring roll wrappers so, although they tasted good, 50% split open. I have now saved the packaging so I dont buy them again. Although, knowing me, Ill think I saved the packaging cause they were the good ones, and buy them again.

Larry, take a picture with your phone and label it. You'll always have it handy when you're shopping.

Dinner:
IMG_20190114_201743338.jpg

My grub tonight was leftovers from this: (lamb leg steaks, sweet onions, and nuked spuds. Spuds not pictured)

Attachments

• 0111192206.jpg
    0111192206.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 108
There are two diffrerent brands of spring roll wrappers sold at our local Asian Market. One holds up very well, the other not so well ( they burst when cooking). I make the spring rolls not often enough to remember which is the good brand. So, sure enough, I bought the bad brand of spring roll wrappers so, although they tasted good, 50% split open. I have now saved the packaging so I dont buy them again. Although, knowing me, Ill think I saved the packaging cause they were the good ones, and buy them again.

Too funny Larry. You could do what I do on Take Out menus. I just write a big NO on them.

Correction, DH said they were Snow Crab clusters :wacko:

I was just about to ask how the blue crabs were cooked.:LOL: Do you like stone crab claws? I get mine from Grimm's in Everglades City. They have their own boats, so I know they were in the water the day before and the fire station in Everglades City is on one of my service routes.

What great meals from all last night!

SC got this as a freebie at the grocery store so I put together a very tasty meal with pork strips, onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms and spinach, over Jasmine rice. I'll gladly buy this next time..what great marketing. here's more choices from Saffron Road..
https://saffronroad.com/simmer-sauces/

Attachments

• simmer sauce.jpg
    simmer sauce.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I was just about to ask how the blue crabs were cooked.:LOL: Do you like stone crab claws? I get mine from Grimm's in Everglades City. They have their own boats, so I know they were in the water the day before and the fire station in Everglades City is on one of my service routes.
Hi Craig, sorry to say they were frozen cooked crab from Publix. I just heated them up in the microwave. The last batch I got to fancy and over cooked them in a skillet.:rolleyes: Publix has Dungeness crab on sale this week. DH is buying some for me today.

Yes, I love all crab. I don't know if we are near Everglades City. DH not here now to ask. You are so lucky to be able to get fresh. There is a restaurant south of us called Joe's Stone Crab. Never been there tho. I do have several recipe versions of their famous Mustard Dipping Sauce. At least I can afford that. lol

Roasted chicken, roasted cauliflower & broccoli, and mashed red potatoes with pan gravy.

chicken_roast_veggies_011419_IMG_5293.jpg

Hi Craig, sorry to say they were frozen cooked crab from Publix. I just heated them up in the microwave. The last batch I got to fancy and over cooked them in a skillet.:rolleyes: Publix has Dungeness crab on sale this week. DH is buying some for me today.

Yes, I love all crab. I don't know if we are near Everglades City. DH not here now to ask. You are so lucky to be able to get fresh. There is a restaurant south of us called Joe's Stone Crab. Never been there tho. I do have several recipe versions of their famous Mustard Dipping Sauce. At least I can afford that. lol

Everglades City is off Alligator Alley almost all the way over to the west coast. There are lots of places to get fresh stone crabs in South Florida when they are in season, through mid May. Penn Dutch in Margate has decent prices and product. We usually get Dungeness crab live at a large Asian market in Sunrise in a shopping center with Doris Market, which is an Italian market. The Dungeness usually run about $30-35 each. They also have live geoduck and razor clams sometimes, as well as lots of other interesting sea creatures. Joe's is vastly over priced, you are paying for the name. We have their mustard sauce recipe, got it out of the Herald many, many, many years ago. It goes well with homemade soft pretzels too.

I made another dinner from my Turkish cookbook last night - fish poached in a spicy tomato sauce with onions, garlic bell peppers and cider vinegar. I was thinking it might taste like Mexican because the ingredients are similar, but it's finished with parsley instead of cilantro. The vinegar seemed to make a big difference. It was very good. I served it with another batch of the orzo & rice pilaf.
0114192022.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom