"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Head Chef

Feasting on Asphalt

Anyone else looking forward to this show? Alton Brown has the best job in the world. Ride around on a motorcycle looking for tasty food? Yep, I could handle that!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ab

Old 07-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I can't wait, I will have the DVR at the ready. I personnaly like Alton the most out of the foodtv channel.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Head Chef

Why do some people say he is not a chef?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
He is, and has won the James Beard Award NUMEROUS times. Although his emphasis is on molecular gastronomy, I like his aproach on cooking and fundamentals.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
Head Chef

Molecular gastronomy?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

it is the study of the chemical reactions that make food work, and how things function on a, well, molecular level.

Though he is a fundamentalist, chefs Like Hamaro Cantu at MOTO Chicago, and F. Adria,of Bulliea(sp) in Spain, practice the art and make some amazing dishes...the food of the future.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

AB is a graduate of the New England Culinary Institute. I don't believe he ever worked as a chef.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Cook

I love Alton too, and I'm really looking forward to his new show.

Although I'm not really a fan of the "watch people eat at various places around the country" type shows, I know Alton will have a different spin on it. I'm certain there will be some great info in there and he can't help but be entertaining, it's just part of his personality!

Will definitely be watching!

Valerie
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
digigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by digigirl
Although I'm not really a fan of the "watch people eat at various places around the country" type shows, I know Alton will have a different spin on it. I'm certain there will be some great info in there and he can't help but be entertaining, it's just part of his personality!

Will definitely be watching!

Valerie
I ienjoy watching the folks eat at different places. I've been all over the country, and may go to some of the places on these shows. So it's cool to see a review in advance. Although I don't think I've ever seen RR give a bad review of any place she's ever been. And every first bite is to die for.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
Sous Chef

He reminds me of bill nye the science guy. Remember bill nye? I just love Alton even more though. I wouldn't be attaracted to him if it weren't for his brains though and that sexy geekiness about him. He's hot the same way Bob Sagot used to be hot. Before Bob went... you know... like this.