"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-19-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Master Chef

First Date Dinners

I can't recall if we've done this before, but what did you fix for your beloved the first time? What did S/He fix for you? How did it turn out?

Old 08-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Master Chef

I made Christmas dinner. I had never cooked a duck before, and I don't think that my mother had ever either. But I was always a fairly confident cook, so didn't think much about it. I don't tremember what else was a part of the meal except for an outrageously (for me, then) expensive appetizer of a shrimp cocktail served in avocado halves. I marinaded the duck in red wine & spices, then roasted it. I was in tears when I saw that the duck turned purple. PURPLE. Now-Hubby comforted me and assured me that it would look fine once roasted (it did). And luckily my apartment must have had a good exhaust fan, because I don't remember smoke (I now have an old kitchen w/no exhaust fan, and you couldn't pay me to do a whole duck because of the smoke!).

Hubby made me beef stroganof. It was very good, but since then he's decided he likes mine better ... hmmm ... no, it reallly isn't an excuse not to cook for me, at that point I'd already perfected beef stroganof (to my taste and that of my friends and family)(of course I didn't let him know that for years after!). Of course HE had no disasters! Another very early made for me was his "middle eastern specail" that we've both perfected over the following 25 years. I think the outstanding thing about the first meals he made for me was that he had crystal, china, and sterling. Which now graces our table.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Wow Claire, I'm too old to remember that It was probably a pasta dish. I wasnt much of a cook back in my teens.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My wife made german style chicken and dumplings and I made fried tacos. It was great. Then she introduced me to Lebanese food and I was hooked.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Well I made Lasagna Salad fresh garlic bread and Strawberry-misu for dessert

He well he tried making pasta for me once.. had more water on the plate then in the pot!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
Cook

My first Xmas dinner involved considerable reading up and then in a food magazine Delia Smith kindly laid it all out for me from 7:00 am put the turkey in to 2:00 pm eat that puppy, so I had the recipes and timelines. I bought the most expensive free ranger I could find when they weren't that easy to get, a bottle of champagne, some orange juice and a lovely bottle of white.

So we cracked the champagne and I got on with the cooking, turning the turkey every 30 minutes as directed for the juciest moistest turkey ever, I had been promised.

Once we were about half way through the wine I got my new carving knife out and went to work. After ten minutes I've got about four ounces of white meat on a plate and I'm getting nowhere fast, so I check the carving diagram, and I'm not as stupid as I thought. I was doing the right things in the right bits so now I'm just angry and going to beat my butcher to death with this dud of a turkey he sold me. Got some leg meat though, and we ate.

And I nap, and when I wake up I see two huge platters of turkey and ask whether my mother-in-law had come around with some for us, only to be told someone not as well oiled as myself had turned the turkey one more time so it was the right side up, and apparently things got considerably easier that way. I swear to God I got more meat out of the bottom end of a turkey than anyone else in history - ever. The next Xmas, I go to get the turkey out of the fridge to cook it and rugrat #1 has stuck a label on the breast - 'this side up.'
Old 08-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

the first dinner that i'd ever cooked for a girlfriend was when i was in college.

i made shrimp parm with angel hair. i cooked the shrimp in the sauce for about a half hour or more; long enough to make them nearly indestructable rubber. then i shelled them an topped them with a thick layer of melted mozarella, so you practically couldn't taste anything but cheese.

my sauce was good, however, having been flavored by the shrimp. so we got by on the pasta, sauce, and wine. my dog ate the shrimp and cheese, and then proceeded to fart all night. there's only so many times you can blame the dog, even when it really is his fault.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I don't remember what I made but I do remember that for a long time I wouldn't make anything without a recipe. "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." That is a lot of pressure!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Spent some time this afternoon trying to find the recipe for it, but couldn't. It was pork chops smeared with dijon mustard and baked, but there was also some kind of fruit chutney or something that you put on top of the chops after they had baked awhile. Don't think I've made it since.

HH probably fixed me a drink instead of cooking something. We went out to eat a lot in those days.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
Executive Chef

If your date enjoys eating it, going to a sushi bar and sitting at the counter makes a great first date. I don't like cooking on the first few dates because of the clean up. For me, the cooking can come later. I'd rather spend more time getting to know the person without the added stress of preparing a meal. Washing dishes together isn't my idea of that, especially not at first.