First Day of School Dinner - 8/31/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I don't know about your neighborhood, but today was the first day of school here. When I was out on my morning ride I went by all of the parents out with their kids waiting for the bus to come by. Those days are long behind us!

Casual New England summer dinner tonight. Steamed lobster, baked beans, and cole slaw. Bush's Grillin' Beans enhanced with bacon and onions, cole slaw with a sweet herb vinaigrette dressing. No cole slaw with mayo in this household.

Sounds delicious, Tenspeed. School started in these parts on August 8. Lots of parents aren't too happy with that, as it's still so hot here in the desert the first part of August.

Tonight's dinner WAS going to be roasted shrimp with garlic/lemon butter, but I forgot to take them out of the freezer. :wacko: I'll just steam a nice big artichoke instead and have the shrimp tomorrow.

School starts the Tuesday after Labor Day here.

We're having a reprise of last night's dinner, although it will be cold this time :) Grilled chicken, potatoes with a yummy sauce and some kind of veggie, probably salad.

Memories

We always went back to school on the first day after Labour Day. So we always stayed at the cottage until then. Both when I was a child and when I had children of my own. The Long Weekend was famous for closing up the cottages.

Needless to say I went ballistic when I discovered my kids had to be back in the city for school up to a week and a half before Labour Day to start school. I told them "no way - just too bad - they will be there when I get back". Of course I had to relent when I realized it was my kids who suffered for my hissy-fit. Ahh well, such is life...

Supper tonight was a 1/2 pork tenderloin stir-fry with radishes, broccoli, zucchini, green onion, garlic and a 1/2 cup of frozen rice whipped out of the freezer. Yummy. Ate double of it than I should have, argh! but will have what little bit's left for breakfast... yum again!

I have a big ziplock of veggies (onion/zucchini/red&green bell pepper/portabella shrooms) cut up and marinating in an Italian vinaigrette. They will be tossed and roasted in the grill basket. I'll grill some Italian sausage links and serve some pizza sauce for dipping.
Garlic Texas Toast for the SC.

Last edited:
The last 2 medallions of my foie gras torchon, with a black pepper caramel, with toasts. Shrimp cocktail. Bone marrow with toasts, first time for us. Kind of surprised at how little there was, but it was good. Will have to give it another try. Parsley and arugula salad to cut all that rich fattiness.

Our school district started back yesterday. They could probably start after Labor Day and meet minimum day requirements if they'd only stop with the "Presidents' Week Vacation". Wasn't all that time at Christmas enough? :huh:

We'll just graze though a goodly assortment of leftovers. I just had a hot dog on bun, Himself has an upset stomach, so he might end up with a bowl of cereal for all I know. He's on his own - I didn't fall asleep until 7:30 AM. *yawn*

Wow, first day of school? Like Cheryl J's district, our students began classes on August 8. Won't be long before they'll receive their first set of grades. Time flies.

I was out all day running errands in the big city, which is an hour away, so we had frozen pizza (Freschetta) and pepperoncini peppers on the side. Love those spicy little critters.

Tomorrow will be "real" food. However, the Freschetta brand of frozen pizza is pretty darn good, especially baked on a stone. Their thin crust versions are great.

Spaghetti & meatballs...

img_1478417_0_a3afb1af40e9f1cc7b86036b53dbd961.jpg

S&P, that looks awesome. Had the same for lunch but didn't look anywhere as good as that. :yum:

Dinner tonight will be Grilled Rib Eyes and french fries. Keeping it simple, had a really long day today. Moving sucks!

First day back to school seams to always be Pyttipanna, when I was young this was made from left overs from the kitchen, 2½ month leave and then that? Today, it is pre made and not from school left over, it a hash of potatoes, onion and meat and sausage.
I refuse to touch it.

Here it isnt start of school, I think they start on Monday or have already started, here is the end of American and German season, the stragglers of the last tourists, I prefer them over the start of the season.

We were going to have corn on the cob, bought it in a bit of rush from the market, by the best stale, still in its husk, came home to find it had fungus and mold. Such things happen. So instead we had can corn.
img_1478424_0_4d4d69110ea35333ae06f5f7eeeb5009.jpg

And toffee fried bananas as dessert.

img_1478424_1_66e2930e6b64dc31a66b84b26c436c83.jpg

Last edited:
Our school district started back yesterday. They could probably start after Labor Day and meet minimum day requirements if they'd only stop with the "Presidents' Week Vacation". Wasn't all that time at Christmas enough? :huh:

We'll just graze though a goodly assortment of leftovers. I just had a hot dog on bun, Himself has an upset stomach, so he might end up with a bowl of cereal for all I know. He's on his own - I didn't fall asleep until 7:30 AM. *yawn*

As a former kindergarten/elementary teacher, Cooking Goddess, I couldn't agree more.......and down here in TX it's hot & humid, and yet they still go on with football practice........oh, well, it is what it is and it's been like this now for years.........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom