"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We had our New Year's meal last night since James is going to be leaving any minute. James had the rest of the beans today for lunch, along with cornbread, and I had some cornbread. I'm not sure what I will have for supper tonight. I fixed and froze (in batches) a huge pot of Spanish rice the other day, so I will probably have that.

Barbara

Old 01-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think we'll have leftover home made pizza. Nothing special just very good!!

Old 01-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
Everymom

Pork roast, potatoes, gravy and caesar salad with apple pie for dessert. I think the grammas are coming for dinner.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Sous Chef

It's the last night of work for my mechanic at work (He's retiring), so I'm putting on a big breakfast with some of his favorites for all the guys.

1. French Toast (Got some nice Challah drying out).
2. Home Fries (Just blanched some Yukee' Golds so those are prepped).
3. Breakfast Sausage w/Onions & Red Bell Peppers.
4. Hunks o' Toast, Over-Easy Eggs, Lot's o' Bacon.

Hope his aorta doesn't give out before he punches the clock for the last time...
Old 01-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
At the recommendation of a foodie friend, Buck and I went to a "real" butcher shop in our area a couple of weeks ago and bought two beautiful New York strip steaks. Picture-perfect ones. We'll cook those on the grill outside and have French onion soup, baked potatoes, etc. Probably just Christmas candy for dessert. For some uncanny reason, we received enough candy this year to sink the Queen Mary. We're not big candy eaters, so this stuff should last us until Easter.

We've planned today to be low, low, low key. A nice lazy day. Back to the real world tomorrow. And, like Scarlett, I'll think about that...tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

Happy New Year!! I am fixing a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions. The recipe is from a cookbook that my mom gave me for Christmas. For a side dish I am thinking about having Brussels sprouts and sourdough bread. Dessert is brownies that I made yesterday.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
breakfast was a surprise, DH knows I love bagels and cream cheese so he surprised my with those and hot coffee in bed this morning with a beautiful red rose on the tray..What a special guy he is
Sounds like he's as special as you are, kads!

Barbara, if you lived closer you'd have a standing invitation for dinner all week!

I'm making beef braised in red wine, sauteed mushrooms, steamed broccoli and some sort of starch. I was planning on polenta but just realized I'm out of corn meal. Maybe buttered egg noodles.... No dessert as DH has begun his diet and I'm doing my darndest to support him.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #18
Executive Chef

got a beautiful Vermont Corn Cob smoked ham in the fridge, which added to a root veg gratin from the other night will warm up like new for tonight. yum
Old 01-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I made a huge pot of lentil soup.
Then breaded chicken cutlets, mashed yukon gold potatoes, and sauteed green beans.

That's it...the party is over. Welcome to the bataan diet.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Barbara, if you lived closer you'd have a standing invitation for dinner all week!

I'm making beef braised in red wine, sauteed mushrooms, steamed broccoli and some sort of starch. I was planning on polenta but just realized I'm out of corn meal. Maybe buttered egg noodles.... No dessert as DH has begun his diet and I'm doing my darndest to support him.
Thanks! If I lived closer, I would be right there! What you made tonight sounds wonderful!

Barbara