First Dinner 1/1/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to the grocery store Friday night for juice and drinking water. I decided to get some things for New Years Dinner. People are trying to use up their leftovers from the holidays (buy 1 get 1 free deals), unexpected parishable gifts etc. Unfortunately the grocery store is trying to get rid of their holiday inventory too. No great deals, just hike up the prices on everything else and try to force people to buy it at regular price.
My New Years menu was Blackeyed Peas, Turnip Greens, Copper Carrots, Garlic Potatoes, Alfredo noodles. I want a little southern comfort next year.
It will be interesting to see what everyone is having for dinner tomorrow. I'm ready for soup & sandwich, cookies & milk, peanut butter & crackers. (oh, the good ole days ..... I'm just a summer person at heart.) :)

We were busy all day taking down Christmas decorations - potato soup in the crock pot topped with cheese and bacon and crusty bread. Now I'm tired AND stuffed.

I made my version of Hoppin' John just like I've done for the past 9 years or so.

Tomorrow - leftovers - the day after - possibly more leftovers :blush: It's hard to make a small batch of this stuff!!

kitchenelf said:
I made my version of Hoppin' John just like I've done for the past 9 years or so.

Tomorrow - leftovers - the day after - possibly more leftovers :blush: It's hard to make a small batch of this stuff!!

What is Hoppin' John?

StirBlue said:
What is Hoppin' John?

Here is a recipe of Hoppin' John that was given to me by a friend. Eating black-eyed peas on New Year's is supposed to bring good luck.

1 lb. black-eyed peas
Water
1 large onion, chopped
6 oz. bacon
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 cups cooked white rice

Wash, sort, and soak beans overnight in 1½ quarts of water. The next day, discard water and put beans in a large kettle with chopped onion and 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for one hour. Cut bacon into ½ inch pieces and add to kettle. Add salt and cayenne pepper and continue cooking, covered, on low heat for about two hours, or until beans are tender. Add more water (hot), if necessary, so beans are always covered with liquid. Serve over rice.

Well, I made some blackeyed peas today. I was glad to have your recipe; mine were just plain, seasoned with salt. They were canned because you cannot find them dried or fresh in this area and sometimes you cannot even find them canned. They actually tasted pretty good. I did use some cornstarch as I like a thick sauce. We are going to have vegetarian meals for a while.
Hoppin' John : didn't I see this a few years ago in the canned baked bean section? After I saw your recipe, I thought about this.

Sausage and saffron risotto and salad. The risotto was delicious, probably because I had a chunk of parmesan to grate that wasn't quite enough for two meals but a generous lump for one.

I'll roll it out, then fill it with brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon sugar and dry instant vanilla pudding, roll it up, let it rise and cut it, then bake. Being careful not to overbake, I like them gooey not dry.:excl:[/quote]

I haven't heard of including the vanilla pudding. What does this do exactly?

I think I will have to try the method.

Sauteed some tilapia filets, deglazed with white wine. Couscous and brussels sprouts (my husband's favorite veggie).

We had some friends over last nite to celebrate New Year's Day. Appetizers included smoked salmon, jarlesberg and jack cheese slices w/salemetti slices, toasted baguette slices topped w/parmesan and green onions, and champagne..For our dinner, I made herb standing rib pork roast with garlic herb and mushroom gravy, fresh carrots w/butter and fennel, bib and romaine lettuce salad w/fresh cherry tomatoes, sliced fresh mushrooms, sliced avocados, served with a honey mustard and poppy seed dressing oil and vinegar dressing, red potatoes sauteed w/butter and fresh Italian parsley, french bread served w/butter..complemented with a bottle of Boeger cabernet wine...for dessert mint chocolate brownies w/walnuts

we had asian, but not sushi or thai as i'd expected. just plain old take out chinese. we order a boatload for just the 3 of us, though, sharing everything.

shrimp rolls, wontaugh soup (just joshing lawn guylanders), boneless bbq spare ribs, bean curd and mixed chinese veggies, shredded szechuan beef, chicken and broccoli in garlic sauce, and kung po chicken.

My Hoppin John is similar but with the addition of ham and some other seasonings. It's a traditional New Years Day/good luck dish.

I grilled a nice ribeye steak approx 1 3/4" thick, rubbed down with olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning, grilled 3 mins per side, topped with sauteed onions, mushrooms and roasted mixed peppers. Side was basmatti rice cooked in chicken stock, flavored with garlic powder and a bit of yellow curry powder.

Back
Top Bottom