First Dinner 1/1/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
Dinner New Year's Day, 2007?

Happy New Year!
whew! 2007!

cooking fancy dinners?

me & jake probably pork roast, sauerkraut, & baby red potatoes.

gotta get my my New Years Eve meal together, yet, though. deciding what to cook.

cheers!

so what will be your First meal of the Year?

I`m doing Chinese style Pork with Chicken fried rice. I`m undecided to do Sweet`n`sour Cantonese or Szechwuan style sauce?

Happy New Year! Glad you started this "Y". ((Oh, I didn't see that luvs had started one too)):huh:
I'm already defrosting the ground sirloin for FraidKnots mince and mashed.
I have to get more taters in a little while to do the mash.
I have peas and meat which is a good start.
For breakfast it's soft scramble, apple bacon, fried tates and home made cinnamon rolls. The bread machine is working overboard right now whipping up the dough. I'll roll it out, then fill it with brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon sugar and dry instant vanilla pudding, roll it up, let it rise and cut it, then bake. Being careful not to overbake, I like them gooey not dry.:excl:

Last edited:
We are spending the day at my oldest daughters today. She and I are going to put two whole chickens on top of a bed of fingerlings,sliced shallots,garlic,rutabegas, turnips,carrots,celery after we lift the skin and smear the meat with butter mixed with shopped parsley and thyme. I'm thinly slicing some leeks, going to saute them in butter then put in a casserrol sprinkle with soft bread crumbs mixed with more butter and some parmesan and bake just til hot and the crumbs start to toast a little, A big salad, rolls, dessert is a secret as I was told not to ask:LOL:
kadesma
breakfast was a surprise, DH knows I love bagels and cream cheese so he surprised my with those and hot coffee in bed this morning with a beautiful red rose on the tray..What a special guy he is

Today is the day of the holiday party for all of us at the restaurant, and man do we need it after a hellacious New Year's Eve. Everyone is supposed to bring over some food/drink etc. but Chef is hosting so I'm sure we'll have some good food tonight.

YT2095 said:
so what will be your First meal of the Year?

I`m doing Chinese style Pork with Chicken fried rice. I`m undecided to do Sweet`n`sour Cantonese or Szechwuan style sauce?
YT, I think sweet & sour sauce goes well with your fried rice. BTW do you have Chinese connection since you're always cooking Chinese dishes?

There will be no dinner for us since we are stuffed after a sumptuous New Year Day meal hosted by yours truly which consisted of Tom Yam Seafood Soup, Leek Pie (contributed by mil), Beef Wellington, grilled sausages and of course the tradtional Vasilopita with the coin hidden in it.

No, it`s just one of my fave foods, very simple, and fast to cook, tasty and for the most part quite good for you :)

I`m an Englishman 100%

YT, Chinese food is fast to cook and good to eat! (Borrowing the motto from Maggie's fast noodles). Seriously I agree with you 100% cos' I cook it every other day and also DH enjoys eating it as well.

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm cooking our New Years Day traditional dish, Hoppin John.

We had our New Year's meal last night since James is going to be leaving any minute. James had the rest of the beans today for lunch, along with cornbread, and I had some cornbread. I'm not sure what I will have for supper tonight. I fixed and froze (in batches) a huge pot of Spanish rice the other day, so I will probably have that.

:) Barbara

I think we'll have leftover home made pizza. Nothing special just very good!!

Pork roast, potatoes, gravy and caesar salad with apple pie for dessert. I think the grammas are coming for dinner.

It's the last night of work for my mechanic at work (He's retiring), so I'm putting on a big breakfast with some of his favorites for all the guys.

1. French Toast (Got some nice Challah drying out).
2. Home Fries (Just blanched some Yukee' Golds so those are prepped).
3. Breakfast Sausage w/Onions & Red Bell Peppers.
4. Hunks o' Toast, Over-Easy Eggs, Lot's o' Bacon.

Hope his aorta doesn't give out before he punches the clock for the last time... :LOL:

At the recommendation of a foodie friend, Buck and I went to a "real" butcher shop in our area a couple of weeks ago and bought two beautiful New York strip steaks. Picture-perfect ones. We'll cook those on the grill outside and have French onion soup, baked potatoes, etc. Probably just Christmas candy for dessert. For some uncanny reason, we received enough candy this year to sink the Queen Mary. We're not big candy eaters, so this stuff should last us until Easter.

We've planned today to be low, low, low key. A nice lazy day. Back to the real world tomorrow. And, like Scarlett, I'll think about that...tomorrow.

Last edited:
Happy New Year!! I am fixing a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions. The recipe is from a cookbook that my mom gave me for Christmas. For a side dish I am thinking about having Brussels sprouts and sourdough bread. Dessert is brownies that I made yesterday.

kadesma said:
breakfast was a surprise, DH knows I love bagels and cream cheese so he surprised my with those and hot coffee in bed this morning with a beautiful red rose on the tray..What a special guy he is

Sounds like he's as special as you are, kads!

Barbara, if you lived closer you'd have a standing invitation for dinner all week!:)

I'm making beef braised in red wine, sauteed mushrooms, steamed broccoli and some sort of starch. I was planning on polenta but just realized I'm out of corn meal. Maybe buttered egg noodles.... No dessert as DH has begun his diet and I'm doing my darndest to support him.

got a beautiful Vermont Corn Cob smoked ham in the fridge, which added to a root veg gratin from the other night will warm up like new for tonight. yum

I made a huge pot of lentil soup.
Then breaded chicken cutlets, mashed yukon gold potatoes, and sauteed green beans.

That's it...the party is over. Welcome to the bataan diet.

PA Baker said:
Barbara, if you lived closer you'd have a standing invitation for dinner all week!:)

I'm making beef braised in red wine, sauteed mushrooms, steamed broccoli and some sort of starch. I was planning on polenta but just realized I'm out of corn meal. Maybe buttered egg noodles.... No dessert as DH has begun his diet and I'm doing my darndest to support him.
Thanks! If I lived closer, I would be right there! What you made tonight sounds wonderful!

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom