"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
As many have said, I've not been fishing in some time. I grew up sea fishing off Cape Cod (not deep sea fishing, just sea fishing) and typically would catch flounder. I once caught a couple eels (went right back in the water) and a beautiful baby sand shark (also released). I have also caught a few blue fish as well.

For fresh water out in New England, I've caught bass, perch, and sunnies.

Here in MN, I've not been fishing but we've got some good game fish I hear. Northerns, Muskie, Walleye along with bass. Of course, the sunnies and crappies too. I have some friends that are avid fishers and I hope to get my license and fish some with them.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #12
Contest Winner

*****UPDATE*****

I had such a lovely day on Saturday! It was a bit rainy and kind of cold so we didnt do the float trip. We ended up fishing off shore but we were VERY succesful! I caught one large trout and my brother caught several. (almost every time he casted off he would catch one - he ended up releasing several and we took home about 6 of the bigger guys) One thing though was that we ended up fly fishing which I had never done in my life. I thought we'd be doing regular rod/reel fishing, which is why I only managed to catch one. LOL. I lost a bunch of my brother's lures and caught more twigs and grass than fish... hehe. It was a blast though.

The best part though was coming home and sitting back while my brother and ex-boyfriend did all the dirty work (cleaning, gutting, preparing the fish) while me and the girls sat in the living room having wine. Hehehe... i dont mind classic cliche male/female roles when it means that I dont have to gut fish! Heh.

The meal turned out really nice. I ended up making some filets almond crusted, some grilled with an herby pesto, and some poached with a sweet romesco sauce. There was something to suit all tastes and it was really enjoyable... lots of leftovers though (because I cooked all the fish and there were only 6 of us) but I sent home "to go" plates with the guests. There were certainly no complains about that!

I also made some rice pilaf, grilled veggies and Kadesma's frosted cantelope recipe that she posted last week. (which was SO delicious!!!) I served it with a honey cream cheese dip instead of the sesame dressing.

Anyway, all in all it was a very good day... Fishing in the morning, getting grubby and being outdoors - then coming home and cleaning up, cooking, and visiting with good friends. What could be better?

Old 06-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
*****UPDATE*****

I had such a lovely day on Saturday! It was a bit rainy and kind of cold so we didnt do the float trip. We ended up fishing off shore but we were VERY succesful! I caught one large trout and my brother caught several. (almost every time he casted off he would catch one - he ended up releasing several and we took home about 6 of the bigger guys) One thing though was that we ended up fly fishing which I had never done in my life. I thought we'd be doing regular rod/reel fishing, which is why I only managed to catch one. LOL. I lost a bunch of my brother's lures and caught more twigs and grass than fish... hehe. It was a blast though.

The best part though was coming home and sitting back while my brother and ex-boyfriend did all the dirty work (cleaning, gutting, preparing the fish) while me and the girls sat in the living room having wine. Hehehe... i dont mind classic cliche male/female roles when it means that I dont have to gut fish! Heh.

The meal turned out really nice. I ended up making some filets almond crusted, some grilled with an herby pesto, and some poached with a sweet romesco sauce. There was something to suit all tastes and it was really enjoyable... lots of leftovers though (because I cooked all the fish and there were only 6 of us) but I sent home "to go" plates with the guests. There were certainly no complains about that!

I also made some rice pilaf, grilled veggies and Kadesma's frosted cantelope recipe that she posted last week. (which was SO delicious!!!) I served it with a honey cream cheese dip instead of the sesame dressing.

Anyway, all in all it was a very good day... Fishing in the morning, getting grubby and being outdoors - then coming home and cleaning up, cooking, and visiting with good friends. What could be better?
WHAT ABOUT WALLEYE? I THINK THIS IS THE BEST WHITE FISH
THERE IS. MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN SEVERAL TIMES FISHING
IN THE GRASSY RIVER LAKES. BEST OF TIMES, STAYING IN A OUTPOST
NO-ONE AROUND BUT YOURSELVES FOR A WEEK, EATING THE FRESHEST
FISH. NOT TO MENTION THE FIGHT THE NORTHERN AND THE LAKE TROUT
PUT UP, ABOUT YANK YOU OUT OF THE BOAT. BUT TO ME THE WALLEYE
IS THE BEST. I LIKE TROUT BUT MY HUSBAND DOES NOT.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:48 AM   #14
Master Chef

Neither my husband nor I like to go fishing, so we only get what piggly wiggly gets in. Unfortunately, they most often get good fresh fish on Fridays, which is one night a week I'm unlikely to cook (we generally eat out with friends on Fridays). Still, my favorite preparation for either trout or walleye is a quick pan fry, then butter, lemon, dry vermouth and capers. Serve with a rice pilaf or couscous. And, as always, a green salad.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
Master Chef

I hate to fish, but I love to eat them, and will even clean them if need be. It's no big deal...fish don't have that many innards.
I have liked every fish I've ever tried, though some more than others. Walleye is really great, Rickell. Bass, trout, salmon, grouper, pompano, and cod are also favorites.
But I think the sweetest, most melt in your mouth fish is a a bluegill, about 8" long without head and with tail, panfried with just a bit of light coating. I even like to crunch the crispy little tail.