Fishing for my dinner tomorrow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grumblebee

Contest Winner
I'm so excited. I'm going fishing tomorrow with my brother! I haven't been fishing in ages and ages. We are after some nice, big, trout. I know we'll catch a lot because my brother is somewhat of an expert.

It's going to be so fun. We'll spend the morning and early afternoon fishing and then we'll come back to my place and cook up our catch. My sister in law and some friends will be joining us for the meal and I know it'll be good. (I've got some frozen prawns and fish filets just in case, but I dont think we'll need it... I KNOW we'll catch some fish - my brother never gets skunked)

I'm going to make the recipe Kadesma posted for the canteloupe salad because I think fresh melon will go nicely as an ending for fish meal. Yummmm. I can't wait.

Anyone else like fishing? What kinds of fish do you catch around where you live? If I lived on the west coast I'd be out crab fishing all the time! I've been crab fishing when I've been out west and it's so cool to lower the little metal cage, pull it back up 30 minutes later and have 6 or 7 crabs come up!

Like you I have not been fishing in years, but I have wanted to take it up again. My FIL just retired this year and has been doing a lot of fishing. I think I will go with him next time he goes.

Have a great time and a great meal grumblebee. I can't wait to hear all about it.

I haven't been fishing in years either, but have EXTREMELY fond memories of fishing with my parents & grandparents - crabbing too. All sal****er fishing - from the beach, pier, boats, you name it.

We used to go for flounder, fluke, bluefish, snappers (aka baby bluefish), blackfish, blowfish, striped bass, porgies, weakfish, tommy cod, eels, & as I said before - blueclaw crabs.

Alix said:
Where are you fishing grumblebee? Kananaskis? Bow Falls?

We'll be fishing out of the Bow River, just outside of Calgary. (my brother knows of many good spots). Depending on the weather we may do a float trip down stream. If it's rainy or cold we may just stick to fishing off shore. I'll leave it up to my brother to figure out the details! In any case, it should be fun fun fun and I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into some yummy, fresh fish.

http://www.albertaflyfish.com/pages/bowriver.htm

I don't like to fish, but my husband does. He fly fishes for trout and salmon in season. He fishes in the rivers in the Borders area of Scotland, as well as in the lochs and rivers of northern Scotland.

DH and I both love to fish. We haven't really been able to this year, just yet. The lake is still down too far for us to get the boat in. I really enjoy the peacefullness of being out there on the water. We fish for High Fin Blue Catfish, the best cat, imo, Bass, Crappie and Stripers.
The only other fish that I have ever had is Red Snapper and Mahi Mahi. I would love to try other kinds, like trout, but, we don't go anywhere that we could catch some. I don't trust the stores around here. We don't have fresh seafood departments.
Hope you have lot's of fun!!!

I haven't been fishing in years either.My dad taught me as a 6 year old. we would get up in the dark to be on the banks of the stream at about 6a.m. We alwyas spent several months in Nevada each summer and would get on a horse and climb straight up several miles. It would take about an hour. we would then turn out the horse get out gear and head off. Then your limit was 15 trout a day..We always made our limit..My poor mom who was a Beach Bunnie vacationer then had to help clean and cook them. But I tell you, they were awsome..We usually caught rainbow and also german brown trout. Back then you almost never ran into another human being as you fished the streams..Now most places are elbow to elbow, unless you have a secret hideaway:LOL: DH is an elbow to elbow fisher or out on the boat YUK me QUIET calm streams the best.

kadesma:)

As many have said, I've not been fishing in some time. I grew up sea fishing off Cape Cod (not deep sea fishing, just sea fishing) and typically would catch flounder. I once caught a couple eels (went right back in the water) and a beautiful baby sand shark (also released). I have also caught a few blue fish as well.

For fresh water out in New England, I've caught bass, perch, and sunnies.

Here in MN, I've not been fishing but we've got some good game fish I hear. Northerns, Muskie, Walleye along with bass. Of course, the sunnies and crappies too. I have some friends that are avid fishers and I hope to get my license and fish some with them.

*****UPDATE*****

I had such a lovely day on Saturday! It was a bit rainy and kind of cold so we didnt do the float trip. We ended up fishing off shore but we were VERY succesful! I caught one large trout and my brother caught several. (almost every time he casted off he would catch one - he ended up releasing several and we took home about 6 of the bigger guys) One thing though was that we ended up fly fishing which I had never done in my life. I thought we'd be doing regular rod/reel fishing, which is why I only managed to catch one. LOL. I lost a bunch of my brother's lures and caught more twigs and grass than fish... hehe. :LOL: It was a blast though.

The best part though was coming home and sitting back while my brother and ex-boyfriend did all the dirty work (cleaning, gutting, preparing the fish) while me and the girls sat in the living room having wine. Hehehe... i dont mind classic cliche male/female roles when it means that I dont have to gut fish! Heh.

The meal turned out really nice. I ended up making some filets almond crusted, some grilled with an herby pesto, and some poached with a sweet romesco sauce. There was something to suit all tastes and it was really enjoyable... lots of leftovers though (because I cooked all the fish and there were only 6 of us) but I sent home "to go" plates with the guests. There were certainly no complains about that!

I also made some rice pilaf, grilled veggies and Kadesma's frosted cantelope recipe that she posted last week. (which was SO delicious!!!) I served it with a honey cream cheese dip instead of the sesame dressing.

Anyway, all in all it was a very good day... Fishing in the morning, getting grubby and being outdoors - then coming home and cleaning up, cooking, and visiting with good friends. What could be better? :)

grumblebee said:
*****UPDATE*****

I had such a lovely day on Saturday! It was a bit rainy and kind of cold so we didnt do the float trip. We ended up fishing off shore but we were VERY succesful! I caught one large trout and my brother caught several. (almost every time he casted off he would catch one - he ended up releasing several and we took home about 6 of the bigger guys) One thing though was that we ended up fly fishing which I had never done in my life. I thought we'd be doing regular rod/reel fishing, which is why I only managed to catch one. LOL. I lost a bunch of my brother's lures and caught more twigs and grass than fish... hehe. :LOL: It was a blast though.

The best part though was coming home and sitting back while my brother and ex-boyfriend did all the dirty work (cleaning, gutting, preparing the fish) while me and the girls sat in the living room having wine. Hehehe... i dont mind classic cliche male/female roles when it means that I dont have to gut fish! Heh.

The meal turned out really nice. I ended up making some filets almond crusted, some grilled with an herby pesto, and some poached with a sweet romesco sauce. There was something to suit all tastes and it was really enjoyable... lots of leftovers though (because I cooked all the fish and there were only 6 of us) but I sent home "to go" plates with the guests. There were certainly no complains about that!

I also made some rice pilaf, grilled veggies and Kadesma's frosted cantelope recipe that she posted last week. (which was SO delicious!!!) I served it with a honey cream cheese dip instead of the sesame dressing.

Anyway, all in all it was a very good day... Fishing in the morning, getting grubby and being outdoors - then coming home and cleaning up, cooking, and visiting with good friends. What could be better? :)

WHAT ABOUT WALLEYE? I THINK THIS IS THE BEST WHITE FISH
THERE IS. MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN SEVERAL TIMES FISHING
IN THE GRASSY RIVER LAKES. BEST OF TIMES, STAYING IN A OUTPOST
NO-ONE AROUND BUT YOURSELVES FOR A WEEK, EATING THE FRESHEST
FISH. NOT TO MENTION THE FIGHT THE NORTHERN AND THE LAKE TROUT
PUT UP, ABOUT YANK YOU OUT OF THE BOAT. BUT TO ME THE WALLEYE
IS THE BEST. I LIKE TROUT BUT MY HUSBAND DOES NOT.

Neither my husband nor I like to go fishing, so we only get what piggly wiggly gets in. Unfortunately, they most often get good fresh fish on Fridays, which is one night a week I'm unlikely to cook (we generally eat out with friends on Fridays). Still, my favorite preparation for either trout or walleye is a quick pan fry, then butter, lemon, dry vermouth and capers. Serve with a rice pilaf or couscous. And, as always, a green salad.

I hate to fish, but I love to eat them, and will even clean them if need be. It's no big deal...fish don't have that many innards.
I have liked every fish I've ever tried, though some more than others. Walleye is really great, Rickell. Bass, trout, salmon, grouper, pompano, and cod are also favorites.
But I think the sweetest, most melt in your mouth fish is a a bluegill, about 8" long without head and with tail, panfried with just a bit of light coating. I even like to crunch the crispy little tail.

Back
Top Bottom