"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 05-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Contest Winner
Talking Fishing for my dinner tomorrow!

I'm so excited. I'm going fishing tomorrow with my brother! I haven't been fishing in ages and ages. We are after some nice, big, trout. I know we'll catch a lot because my brother is somewhat of an expert.

It's going to be so fun. We'll spend the morning and early afternoon fishing and then we'll come back to my place and cook up our catch. My sister in law and some friends will be joining us for the meal and I know it'll be good. (I've got some frozen prawns and fish filets just in case, but I dont think we'll need it... I KNOW we'll catch some fish - my brother never gets skunked)

I'm going to make the recipe Kadesma posted for the canteloupe salad because I think fresh melon will go nicely as an ending for fish meal. Yummmm. I can't wait.

Anyone else like fishing? What kinds of fish do you catch around where you live? If I lived on the west coast I'd be out crab fishing all the time! I've been crab fishing when I've been out west and it's so cool to lower the little metal cage, pull it back up 30 minutes later and have 6 or 7 crabs come up!

~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
Like you I have not been fishing in years, but I have wanted to take it up again. My FIL just retired this year and has been doing a lot of fishing. I think I will go with him next time he goes.

Have a great time and a great meal grumblebee. I can't wait to hear all about it.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
Master Chef
I haven't been fishing in years either, but have EXTREMELY fond memories of fishing with my parents & grandparents - crabbing too. All sal****er fishing - from the beach, pier, boats, you name it.

We used to go for flounder, fluke, bluefish, snappers (aka baby bluefish), blackfish, blowfish, striped bass, porgies, weakfish, tommy cod, eels, & as I said before - blueclaw crabs.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
There is nothing better than fresh trout! Have a great dinner!!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Where are you fishing grumblebee? Kananaskis? Bow Falls?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Contest Winner
Originally Posted by Alix
Where are you fishing grumblebee? Kananaskis? Bow Falls?
We'll be fishing out of the Bow River, just outside of Calgary. (my brother knows of many good spots). Depending on the weather we may do a float trip down stream. If it's rainy or cold we may just stick to fishing off shore. I'll leave it up to my brother to figure out the details! In any case, it should be fun fun fun and I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into some yummy, fresh fish.

~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I don't like to fish, but my husband does. He fly fishes for trout and salmon in season. He fishes in the rivers in the Borders area of Scotland, as well as in the lochs and rivers of northern Scotland.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Executive Chef
I used to go spearfishing a lot growing up in Hawaii but I haven't done that in a looooong time. We'd catch all kinds of fish (not all of them would taste good) but it was a lot of fun.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Master Chef
DH and I both love to fish. We haven't really been able to this year, just yet. The lake is still down too far for us to get the boat in. I really enjoy the peacefullness of being out there on the water. We fish for High Fin Blue Catfish, the best cat, imo, Bass, Crappie and Stripers.
The only other fish that I have ever had is Red Snapper and Mahi Mahi. I would love to try other kinds, like trout, but, we don't go anywhere that we could catch some. I don't trust the stores around here. We don't have fresh seafood departments.
Hope you have lot's of fun!!!
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
I haven't been fishing in years either.My dad taught me as a 6 year old. we would get up in the dark to be on the banks of the stream at about 6a.m. We alwyas spent several months in Nevada each summer and would get on a horse and climb straight up several miles. It would take about an hour. we would then turn out the horse get out gear and head off. Then your limit was 15 trout a day..We always made our limit..My poor mom who was a Beach Bunnie vacationer then had to help clean and cook them. But I tell you, they were awsome..We usually caught rainbow and also german brown trout. Back then you almost never ran into another human being as you fished the streams..Now most places are elbow to elbow, unless you have a secret hideaway DH is an elbow to elbow fisher or out on the boat YUK me QUIET calm streams the best.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote