Food and Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
February is around the corner. What meals stand out in the romance department? What was the first meal you prepared for your true love? What meal was prepared for you that said "I love you"? Which restaurant says that to you and yours? We all here at DC know that food is love, and love is food, so tell us about it!

Though we haven't discussed any plans, we will most likely be cooking together. We've largely decided we do not need to eat out at a restaurant because with a little research for a recipe and the right ingredients, we can make nearly anything. So what stands out? It'd be spending time together cooking something side by side, probably enjoying some wine while we season, simmer and bake.

For firsts, the first meal she made me was a chicken jambalaya, one of her specialties. I made her filet mignon on the grill, one of my specialties. Since then we've expanded into lots of Mexican and Italian dishes, and I branched out into Indian once. For her birthday a little while ago, I made some chicken cordon bleu, which she really liked :)

The first meal I made for DH was when he took me to Portugal...it was our fouth date (I know, I know) and we met at Heathrow. I brought the picnic because it was at an awkward time for London publioc transport (which is not 24 hour), so we got to the airport at about 1 am for a five am flight. Obviously we did not know each other THAT well, and he was impressed I had baked bread and fruit tarts and brought smoked meats and salads and little bottles of champagne with straws. Never was a more romantic night had napping on the hard airport chairs chatting and getting to know each other!

My DH always says Peking Duck reminds him of me, and he eats it when he is away from me and alone. Wierd huh?

Well, for one, we love fresh boiled lobsters and I still remember the first time I watched Julia Child demonstrate how to do it and so horribly disappointed that we couldn't afford them----now we can---so everytime I place them in the boiling pot I think of her. She always talked like her mouth was full of butter anyway---so here's to you kid!!!!!

Gosh, I can't really remember the first meal I cooked for Buck. We've been together for over 30 years so that would take some thinking. However, we both have always loved to cook and prepare meals for each other. When we were first dating, I made dinner for him every Wednesday night. He'd come for dinner and bring his laundry. We'd have a wonderful meal and I would return his laundry (cleaned) on the weekend when he would make dinner for me.

I think our favorite meal would have to be a thick, really thick, steak cooked over charcoal with sauteed onions, baked potato and a bottle of delicous red wine. No need for dessert. At that time, WE had love and didn't need dessert. Actually, that's still true.:angel:

P.S. He did introduce me to steamed lobster, which has turned into one of my favorites.

My DH loves fried shrimp, caesar salad and french bread with real butter.
I don't think that was the first dinner I made him-but it is one he likes. :)

My husband (then freind) made me stroganof, but what stood out was the china, crystal, and silver. He is still in charge of the table setting (although he prefers my stroganof). I made him a roast duck, with a first course of marinaded shrimp in an avocado half. This was 25 years ago, and that really truly busted my food budget.

For restaurants -- well, I can't pin it down to one, just an entire neighborhood. My husband "courted" me (we were "just" freinds; he wanted it to be more) in Old Town Alexandria, and every restaurant there has a wonderful memory. I'm sure they are all gone now. Not only did he court ME, but also my friends and family. He knew he was getting the whole package.

The most loving gesture I can make for my DH is to bake him some cookies. He loves them and will snack on them all day (he is tall and skinny, in spite of that). On a very basic level, preparing food for someone you love is most satisfying, even mundane, daily dinners. It's probably why I love to cook - it is (to me, at least) a form of nurturing.

I have a new boyfriend and he is taking me out for Valentines Day. He said that he was taking me to a great restaurant that I would love.

I don't remember either what I cooked for HH first, but I do remember stocking Tab in the fridge for the first time he came over (I hate the stuff). His eyes lit up when I asked him whether he wanted a Tab. Probably the first thing he fixed for me was BBQ pork shoulder. Still his specialty.

Great stories!

This is our first Valentines day together and not just over the phone! (We met on match.com, yes I know but sometimes it really works!) Last year he sent me a dozen pink tulips and I cried when all my friends went out to dinner with their loved ones! I sat home alone. Boo Hoo.

I'm going to cook us dinner this year but I haven't decided what. I will probably make him something meaty since he hardly gets meat living with a vegetarian!!! I think something from my Jamie Oliver Italy cookbook. He loves my double dark chocolate cookies, so Ill make those for dessert!

Back
Top Bottom