"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 11-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
just remember to bring lots of bubble wrap to mexico. i always crack up when you see people retrieve their luggage with a big, wet stain on the side that smells of tequila.
and then they wonder why customs picks them out of the line.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
we just always carry our tequlia on the plane with us.
You never know when you'll need a drink or two. lol

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Coffee! Ever since my BIL brought me some Kona from Hawaii, I've been hooked on buying coffee from the places I visit. When we visited Miami, we brought back some incredible Cuban coffee. My hubby and I are coffee lovers so every chance we'd get we'd get us a "cafe con leche"-famous Cuban phrase.

On our last vacation to Santa Fe, we brought back some of their state's vegetable "chile piquin". This pepper is harvested in the early fall. The bright red peppers are strung (chile ristras) and hung out to dry. This pepper has a distinct flavor of the south that I use in almost all my dishes.

We love to travel!
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #14
Master Chef
Whenever my parents or DH and I make it to the UP of Michigan we always bring home pasties (well, they bring them home for me--I'm the only fan!). When we went to Bermuda, I stocked up on true English Cadbury chocolate and Polo mints since they're impossible to find around here, and I brought coffee home from New Orleans a few years ago. And when we went to San Fran this past winter I brought home a bunch of food including ScharffenBerger chocolate and chocolate covered ginger, a couple flavored olive oils, and of course a nice little supply of wine!
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Luckily, with the advent of the channel tunnel - a visit to Paris for lunch (from London, when we lived there) was only 3 hours away and therefore not impossible.

I used to buy wonderful French patisserie and breads, cheeses, wines and hams. Put them in a coolbox and they were still fresh by the time we got home!

When I travel to Italy, I always bring back extra virgin olive oil from Tuscany or Liguria, Balsamic vinegars, Parma ham and Parmesan cheese.

Greece, we bring back olives, olive oil and spices from the local markets.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
Let me think...

Mexico - Tequila
Canada - Crown Royal
Aruba - About five extra pounds (Aruban rum isn't worth bringing back to your room, let alone back to the USA)
California - wine
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Wow! With all these well traveled people here I feel somewhat embarrased by saying the only food item we really ever brought back as a souvenir is rum cake from the Carribean and that rarely ever made it out of the plane. We would usually eat it and pass some to other passengers in flight.
Home chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Come visit me in Virginia and I'll ensure that you go home with a Smithfield ham.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #19
Master Chef
I love to food shop when I travel, and have brought home a wide variety of foods and drinks from places in my travels. Even the mundane-seeming -- there is a brand of green beans put out by Publix grocery stores, and when we're visiting family or friends in the south we buy a case (very thin, very green). Wine from Slovenia. Whiskey from Canada. Tequila and coffee liquers from Mexico. And spices from everywhere. Oh, noodles. Tea. Coffee. Anything that strikes me as different from what I can get "at home" (which is, in itself, a different story), I'm likely to pick up and carry home. AFTER I make sure it is legal (no, I'm not talking drugs here, it's mostly sausages that are often illegal coming from Europe, and fruit and vegatables moving in and out of California, Arizona, and Hawaii). Cheese! Oh, I could go on forever!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #20
Master Chef
And yes, that Smithfield ham!!!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote