"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Food Fight between Jamie Oliver and Clarissa Dickson Wright

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=1412552004

Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Old 12-10-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I, personally, AS A MATTER OF OPINION, would not trust a Sainsbury as far as I could spit them.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:28 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef

I like Jamie Oliver, do not know who the lady is or the farm. I try to buy wild salmon in most cases because in my opinion it tastes better. I have heard of some questions regarding farmed salmon as they are in water pens not free to the sea, and the water is recycled and chemicals added, but I do not remember where these farms would be or where I heard it.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:30 PM   #5
Everymom

norgeskog, there are lots of salmon farms in BC and the issue you may have heard about is mercury. There are critically high levels of mercury in farmed salmon. They recommend that you eat no more than one serving of farm salmon per MONTH because of this. Wild salmon is still safe.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:39 PM   #6
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
norgeskog, there are lots of salmon farms in BC and the issue you may have heard about is mercury. There are critically high levels of mercury in farmed salmon. They recommend that you eat no more than one serving of farm salmon per MONTH because of this. Wild salmon is still safe.
Thanks Alix for clearing that up for me. I do usually try to get wild, although I have heard that some farmed salmon is OK but do nto know which and I do not think the labels tell about the mercury.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:30 PM   #7
Master Chef

norgeskog - Clarissa Dickson Wright is the surviving half of the famous BBC "Two Fat Ladies" cooking show duo, Jennifer Paterson, the other half of the team, passed away back in 1999.

I like Jamie, and I think he has done some great things ... especially the project he did by taking at-risk teens and teaching them to cook and then giving them a job. But, as far as the salmon thing goes, I think Clarissa is right for the reasons she stated.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:32 PM   #8
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
norgeskog - Clarissa Dickson Wright is the surviving half of the famous BBC "Two Fat Ladies" cooking show duo, Jennifer Paterson, the other half of the team, passed away back in 1999.

I like Jamie, and I think he has done some great things ... especially the project he did by taking at-risk teens and teaching them to cook and then giving them a job. But, as far as the salmon thing goes, I think Clarissa is right for the reasons she stated.
Thanks Min FtW for clearing this up. I loved the two fat ladies but did nto recognize the Wright name, I watched it all the time.

As for the issue, I did state above that I usually only buy wild salmon and other fish as well.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:58 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I don't buy into the whole salmon debate, in England you cannot buy wild salmon unless you are wealthy, and even then finding a supplier is very difficult.

I think Jamie is very naive and a bit stupid doing the whole supermarket thing. He totally lacks credibility, he doesn't shop at Sainsbury's. He doesn't eat the salmon.

I support Clarissa wholeheartedly, I am sure she has never set foot in a supermarket either, but at least she doesn't advertise them.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:15 PM   #10

Its a pretty pricey "buy" in Canada and (probably) the States, too, Kyles...and we, too, need to "look around for it", unless you are on the "left" (aka "wet") coast...

While I "appreciate" what Jaimie Oliver tried to do with the disadvantaged kids, and hope that it worked out for some of them, he's hardly my favourite TV chef...I like Michael Smith ("Chef at Large") an American who has"come over" to Canada, and is pretty fun to watch, aside from Emeril (cringing, as everyone else zeroes in on my flinching carcass!), who I still like, in terms of explaining what, why and how of what he's doing...

Anyways...

Lifter