"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I would consider food miles in search of the freshest produce or specific items that are unique to the area. My goal is to use the best ingredients practically available to prepare a meal. Sometimes that costs more.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
Head Chef

I am with Claire. I remember when I was a kid and in the winter you could find very little fresh produce and most of what we could find was not very interesting. Stuff like lettuce or tomatoes came from FL.

I think most of us whould be very disappointed to give up the wide variety of foods, including produce, that we can find even in the depths of winter.

And agree with Andy, I am going to buy the freshest and tastiest food I can afford.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I raise a significant quantity of the food we eat. And especially concentrate on extending the growing season so we eat fresh food for a longer period of time than is normal, and also this means we put food by for a shorter period of time. Ohio just suffered an arctic blast, yet I harvested fresh spinach and parlsey yesterday from my garden. I also know no one who gardens to the extent that we do, we seem to be maniacs. So for the most part, the food we consume has 0 food miles attached to them.

But I am rethinking something I have done for several years now, in light of my recent introduction to this food mile issue. I sell planting garlic and periennels on eBay. I have shipped garlic to Hawaii. So i'm thinking, how smart is that?? Selling at a farmers market is not an option, it is too far away and the time committment is not worth it to me. So I am seeking others thoughts on this issue. I am interested in the concept of limiting food miles, I just need to learn more about this issue.

auntdot, Andy said he would consider food miles in relation to foods unique to the area. I took that to mean the area in which he lived. right andy?

I also place great emphasis on purchasing high quality ingredents, including olive oil from spain, greece and italy. I would not consider finding other options regarding foods like that.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never thought about how many miles food travels. I just look for ther freshest best product I can find. If given the choice, I do prefer Citrus from Texas, Onions from Gerogia, Sweet Potatoes from Mississippi, Russets from Colorada etc. to name a few. Then of course local products are always a plus!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I've never thought about how many miles food travels. I just look for ther freshest best product I can find. If given the choice, I do prefer Citrus from Texas, Onions from Gerogia, Sweet Potatoes from Mississippi, Russets from Colorada etc. to name a few. Then of course local products are always a plus!
well UB, I hadn't thought of it either, just something those dang "greenies" have come up, and I'm just trying to figure out if it makes any sense. And where do you prefer your catfish to derive from?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethzaring
And where do you prefer your catfish to derive from?
Ah...that's a tuff one Miss Beth....Mississippi???

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I've never really thought of it. And, I don't know that I want to start

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
...Andy said he would consider food miles in relation to foods unique to the area. I took that to mean the area in which he lived. right andy?...

I guess I could have said it better, Beth. What I meant was I would seek out a unique food from a distance rather than a substitute sourced locally. I am referring to things like porcini mushrooms from overseas rather than another kind of mushrooms grown down the street. Prosciutto de Parma rather than Virginia ham...

I live in Massachusetts. I buy corn on the cob from the nearest farm rather than the stuff in the supermarket which was grown on Florida or some other warm weather area. I really like to shop at local farm stands. You know the food is fresh when it's been grown in the next town.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #19
Master Chef

I now live in north western Illiniois. Trust me, ain't nothing growing in -12 with a wind chill below that. Nothing has grown here since Thanksgiving. Thank heaven for the stuff that travels many miles to get here. I've lived in Florida, Hawaii, and California. I love it here, but it does make you think. I'm grateful for the fact that I can eat lettuce, tomatoes, etc even in the dead of winter. Even pineapple. I love my little town, and love it here in spring when morels and asparagus just pop up, and little lambies and vealies are playing in the fields. But you pay for that, no matter how you look at it. I eat many varieites of lettuce, and much more, year 'round. In olden days I'd have been living on canned goods for several months. I sometimes think malnutrition was the name of the game.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I hear ya Claire.

I would like to hear from some folks who don't live in the US. It has been my observation that people who live in other countries have a different concept of acceptable energy usage.