"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-05-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
I note that donations to the Salvation Army "Christmas Appeal" are "net/net" into the purpose they are donated for. The organization is largely funded by the S.A. Church, United Way, etc.

The wages paid to their fulltime employees are modest, at best. They much appreciate outside volunteer help, by the way, and make no effort to persuade you to "their" church...

They actively seek out the poor and disadvantaged, and should be in no way compered with the many other "charities" that are notorious for leaking off donations to the pockets of their executives, etc...

Finally, note it was the Salvation Army that (historically) set up canteens and benefits for servicemen and women overseas, including some (but by no means all!) "boxes" or "hampers"...for POW's, refugees etc besides...

This is one organization that it pretty squeaky clean in all aspects.

I would again encourage members on this List to contribute where they find it difficult or impossible to donate directly to Churches or Food Banks (or do both!)(even better!).

If I can prevail another moment, if you are donating foodstuffs (ie clearing out the pantry of stuff that isn't getting eaten, or better yet, buying stuff at the grocery store and dropping it into the Food Bank donation bin (here, our OPP -oops our Ontario Provincial Police, Ontario's answer to the RCMP-will donate their time on a weekend to prompt food "collection")...in this case, please remember the basics of what the "bank" is looking for...protein items like tuna (also salmon) in cans; baked beans, pasta, macaroni, peanut butter, rice, canned veggies, canned or bottled fruit juices and the like...you might want to consider the mother with a lactose intolerant baby, and buy a can or three of the soy equivalent for babies; specialty pablums and the like, noting these are a little more costly...but noting the affect on my or your pocketbook is much, much less than on said single mother, or working poor mother with a child with afflictions like this...

Canada's Welfare System does not recognise this basic fact, and, while I'm not familiar with the USA system, I doubt it does either, reducing these parents and their babies to having to access existence through charity, from people like you and I...

So when you watch Bill Murray in "Scrooged" for the umpteenth time this year, remember that its not only Christmas, its all year through...

Okay, I've finished my little "rant" for the evening, but certainly we can remember that some of our citizens will need a "hand up" more than a "hand out"...

Cash donations are a tax deduction, so probably cost you, in the long run, about 60 cents on the dollar...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote