"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
absolutly insane.. $ 1.49 for a head of loose head lettuce. And the farmers mkt. is no bargin either, $ 2.00 a box up to $3.00 a box and the boxes are not very big to start with. And forgit fish, when I was a kid fish was poor mans food not anymore
I wish our politicos would try to live on my ssi. They would not be very fat cats

You have that wrong. To eat HEALTHY, it cost lost of money. To eat cheaply, lots of pasta, cheep ground beef, ramon noodles ect.. make poor people fat. JMO

Old 08-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #12
Sous Chef

If you really shop around and re specific in what you need you can find some deals.

I ususally go to BJs (like sams, costco) and get 2 whole chickens for like $7 or $8. Cut them up, or leave then whole some times. and now got osme good food and saved myself a few bucks

chicken breats out here are like $4.29 a lb

crazy!!! thank god for my garden

Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
prices are crazy, and my salary went down last two years, everything is double, or a least 50% more than it was two years ago. no wonder, everything is fallowing gas prices. of course, drilling for our own oil isn't going to help, according to some people.
If you believe the "no drill" faction, I have a nice, slightly used bridge that I'll sell you for cheap. If the supply never changes, the price will continue to climb, because SOMEONE ELSE is controlling the oil coming here. If we work towards energy independence and build our own supply right here, that's less we have to buy from someone else and the price is adjusted DOWN. It's the old supply & demand equation. The more you own the less you have to buy. No, it won't happen overnight, but a journey of a hundred miles begins with a single step. If we sit on our duffs the journey will never begin.

If you never work towards independence (in all areas of life), you will forever be at the mercy of someone else, and not everyone is a merciful as we are. How many people are happy to see their children move out and become independent adults? You bet it makes you feel good, not to mention that the food bill goes down and there's less laundry to do, and on and on and on. We can do the same thing as a country if we stop believing the control freaks who want you under their "benevolent" thumb. They do not want prosperity, because then they have nothing to promise to you, and you don't need them. If our politicians claim to be just like us, how come most of them are extremely wealthy and we're just getting along? If you believe them they have you where they want you, and that goes for all of the politicos on both sides of the aisle.

Wake up America and stop letting others control our destiny.

I digress....

I'm JoeV, and I approve this message.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #14
Executive Chef

i try to not go to grocery stores. Yesterday I went to town to get my haircut and would normally cruise through the worlds smallest Krogers, but I went straight home.

I do know feed prices, last year a 50# bag of oats were $8.00, now they are $12.50.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I'm a pretty careful shopper. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the prices of pasta and other wheat products though. Sheesh. Used to be you could get pasta for $.89 on sale, now the same size is on sale for $1.99! Regular price is closer to $3

I try to get everything on sale, so I'll be picking up ten boxes of pasta for $10 this week and not have to buy any for a while. I could really use a pantry....
Lat's see, St Louis style pork ribs for 3.99/lb; Western style (country cut) for 1.99; 4-8 0z blocks of Kraft Cheese for $10..... that's 1/3 of my shopping list right there whatever's on sale that I know I'll use up.
I'm passing up 5 cubes of Dr Pepper, which work out to $4.20/case, because I have a couple cases left from last time it went on sale, but at that price.... I may end up changing my mind

I pretty much buy only what is on sale and stock up.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Prices are up here too... but what can you do? We have to eat so I have to buy.
The weather has been so bad around here that even the zucchini in the garden are refusing to grow. We have a few green tomatoes but I doubt that they'll turn red with out the sun. We did have a bumper crop of strawberries though. I'm making ice cream tonight!!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I try to get everything on sale, so I'll be picking up ten boxes of pasta for $10 this week and not have to buy any for a while. I could really use a pantry....
Lat's see, St Louis style pork ribs for 3.99/lb; Western style (country cut) for 1.99; 4-8 0z blocks of Kraft Cheese for $10..... that's 1/3 of my shopping list right there whatever's on sale that I know I'll use up.
I'm passing up 5 cubes of Dr Pepper, which work out to $4.20/case, because I have a couple cases left from last time it went on sale, but at that price.... I may end up changing my mind

I pretty much buy only what is on sale and stock up.
I guess where you are has better stores and sales. The ones around here stinks.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #18
Head Chef

I spend the summer in a "tourist" type town in northern lower Michigan (Traverse City) and am astounded at how high the food prices are here. I don't usually look at prices, I buy pretty much what I want but on occasion I take a look at my bill and realize how much more I pay here than in Las Vegas where I live. I walk out of the store with one bag and it's a 23 to 26 dollar bag. I sometimes shop at Sam's Club here in Michigan because there is no Costco and I discovered that Sam's prices are the same here as the are in LV. So that's comforting. These prices are in effect all year so it's not that they're catering to the tourists in the summer.
Fortunately there are a ton of farmers' markets in this area so the prices there are very low for produce and fruit, but meat, poultry, fish and staples in the supermarkets are out of sight.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I guess where you are has better stores and sales. The ones around here stinks.
Maybe your area has a higher income level? I suppose they all charge what they think they can get away with.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #20
Senior Cook

With prices the way thery are, I am glad I have no teens that will eat you out of house and home and still be hungry! The cost of eating is getting ridiculous. Everything has gone up, it seems like. I try to stock up when there are sales.