Food You Hated As A Child But Love Now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
A brussel sprouts recipe on another forum here got me to thinking about the foods I hated as a child but now love as an adult. I'm curious to see if there are common foods among all of us this way.

Here are foods off the top of my head that I remember wanting to "eat worms & die" rather than consume then, but love now, not in any particular order:

Spinach
Broccoli Raab
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Okra

Foods that I hated then & still hate now:

Beef &/or Calves liver

Last edited:
Hated Then: Spinach, mom used the frozen crap and I figured spinach was spinach. The whole everyone but Popeye hates spinach thing didn't help.

Still Hate: Peas, they aren't really food.
Fish - I'm still not a big fish fan. I cook it because I want my kids to have a chance to like it, and I've found a few ways that I can eat it.

I use to hate carrots, still do if store bought and then cooked or even raw, they taste like dirt..Cold storage YUK..Now I'll eat the ones we grow our selves. Okra made me gag, now I'll eat it if deep fried:LOL: I also disliked any kind of peppers, sweet or hot,creamed spinach, yellow squash mixed with cream and butter ACK!!!
Now, I eat just about all veggies love em, just don't give me store bought carrots or OKRA:ROFLMAO:

kadesmal

Since Z mentioned blue cheese, I wouldn't any salad dressing except French. Now, I like just about any of them, I love Blue cheese and Red Wine Vinegrette.

Thaks for the okra reminder - I added it to my original post list. Used to hate it - now grow it in the garden every year & add it to gumbos, jambalaya, stir-fries, & as a fried vegetable with a dip on the side.

Interesting that everyone has listed cheese or vegetables. I could not eat corned beef as a kid but now it's one of my favorites.

I still have no taste for lima beans or brussel sprouts.

That would have to be broccoli and cauliflower. It wasn't till I became pregnant with my first child that I started liking it.

i really can't remember disliking anything i ate as a kid. my mom said i was the easiest kid to raise since i ate everything put in front of me, and i was never sick. (lol, then i became a teenager...:devilish: )

i even remember liking anchovies, probably because i was served good ones in evoo on a platter with cheeses and roasted or pickled peppers. not those dried out hairy things that you normally get on overcooked pizza.

i guess i hated those giant, dimpled peas we called "army peas", but i was able to choke them down if there was mashed potatoes and gravy nearby.

I hated peas and still do-the only thing fresh peas were good for was flicking at my brother and still do if the occassion arises.On a different note I used to LOVE Jolly Rancher's watermelon sticks now I can't even stand the smell of them.

Other than the ethnic foods that I had as a kid (stuffed cabbage, chicken paprikash, etc. - YUMMY!) my family was very "meat and potatoes" - we had a meat, a potato that was often baked or mashed and a green salad with a vinegar and oil dressing. We didn't have a lot of variety, generally. The veggies we had were often canned. When I grew up and discovered fresh asparagus, and broccoli, and brussels sprouts, and cauliflower - WOWIE! It's a whole different world!

At any rate, it wasn't that I didn't like them as a kid. I had never had them. I'm so glad I found them!

BC

ok, make a note.

no chicken fried monkfish livers for jkath as an appetizer...lol.

i just remembered another one. lima beans. i hated lima beans in any way, shape, or form. we called them slime-uh beans.
now, there not so bad buttered and salted.

Back
Top Bottom