"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-13-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
That's a darn good question...I think like most of us there are times when we eat a lot of a food (hmmm, say zucchini season!) and figure that we don't want to see that food ever again but end up going back and "rediscovering" it again in a while.

It's funny but I don't even know the name of one food that I ate a lot of as a kid and would be glad to never eat (or smell!) again. They were a very dry sort of hollow "bun" that we got from oodles of local Portuguese folks that we knew. They were sort of like a big, dry Yorkshire pudding only no where are good or tasty and I recall many breakfasts and school lunches with them - at some point I stopped eating them. Perhaps as an adult they wouldn't seem so bland but at the time I loathed them. If anyone knows what the name of these are I'd be curious to know

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:29 PM   #12
Head Chef

Mine would be food in general right now. I don't know what triggered it, but NOTHING I eat has tasted GREAT and WONDERFUL lately. It's just food. I've been trying to figure this one out for a while now. I'm trying to cook in smaller batches so that I don't get burnt out on whatever it is that I've cooked.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i avoided pizza for about 2 years because we had it all the time
Old 11-14-2005, 12:51 AM   #14
Master Chef

1. Pork 'n' beans and hotdogs - Mom made this alot and I did to when I was in college.
  2. Tamale pie - I had to eat a horrible recipe of tamale pie when I was a kid visiting another family's house. To this day I am not a big fan of recipes that include corn for this reason.
  3. Tunafish with a white sauce over toasted bread. See #1.
  4. Canned spinach - it was a popular vegetable for school lunches in the 70's.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:55 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I remember some very tough and tight times during my first jobs when the person that I lived with at the time and I ate a lot of this pasta....It consited of bbq sauce, ketchup, ground beef, fried onions, whatever shape pasta (or a combo of "end of the bag" bits) and whatever seasonings we had around. At first it was quite good but at some point I got so sick of it I couldn't even eat it any longer and have certainly never made it since! I think that sometimes foods we grow sick of also correspond with hard or emotional times in our lives...

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:41 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

if you are getting burned out on foods, you are not reading enough and trying enough recipes here.

i was just marveling at the list of guests scanning so many old posts of recipes and other info, at 4am est no less. it's pretty cool to think we are a resource of sorts. so every time you try something new, or tnt, and you post your results here, you are helping hundreds of people worldwide.

maybe even aliens.
is there a how to serve human-ity thread here?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:46 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
  1. Canned spinach - it was a popular vegetable for school lunches in the 70's.
Oh man, I forgot about canned spinach! All though, this doesn't really qualify as food I grew tired of, as the smell of canned spinach nauseates me. Open a can, and I'm headed for the nearest toilet!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I never did eat canned spinach, so that isn't one of mine. I really don't eat canned veggies at all except green beans, refried beans, wax beans. Most anything that is available fresh, frozen or dried, I cook my own. I suppose the one I can think about most is frozen pizza. We did seem to eat a good bit of that when time was a problem. I'd rather do without now.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Cris has a big Apricot tree in the garden of his garage/storage. This past summer the tree became extraordinarily full with the fruit, even to the point all the branches were sagging to the ground. We collected bucketful after bucketful of apricots, made anything imaginable with them, jam, ice cream, juice, cakes, pies and then some. Yes we got a wee bit "apricotted out" after a while, there are still lots of them in our freezer, but it will take a little more time for them to look appealing to us again...
Old 11-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Only 3 things come to mind:

pizza- I ate it so muh as a teenager, that I have a really hard time eating it now

chicken noodle casserole- my mom made this all the time & I can't stand it now

peanut butter pound cake- I have made this so much that I can't even stand the smell of it. I still have to make it on occasion for hubby though.