"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-29-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Foodaholics

Is there anyone else here, that just likes the process of digging through cook books, shopping, whipping up food, feeding the hungery masses, sending them on there way heavy laden with left overs, spending days washing dishes pots and pans, taking notes on where you screwed up or can do better and then plotting your next culinary fiesta?

And I dont mean an interest that leads you opening a resturant, I mean purely doing it for the burp. And then the smile. And then they settle into your couch half asleep and you have to tell them to get out so you can finish clearing the table.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I was totally with ya until you said this ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman
spending days washing dishes pots and pans

Old 10-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Senior Cook

So do tell, GB, whats the secret? Whats the majic potion? The majic spell?
It's a little better now that we have a dishwasher. I think I am on my 7th or 8th load for the weekend and I am supposed to make waffles this am.

But when we lived on the farm.... My wife would cook for T-day or Xmas and I would literally wash dishes till I got tired or hungery for 2-3 days.

When we finally do get a house of our own, it will have at least 2 dishwashers in it
Old 10-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
Master Chef

Goodness sake, Vilasman, you sure dirty a lot of dishes! If you clean up as you go along, washing your pots and cooking utensils, it will help a lot. Just keep a bowl of soapy water in your sink (that way you can still use the drain) and use it for keeping the larger items and cooking utensils washed up. Often, I end up using the same saucepot or saute pan several times when cooking a large meal.
Another little hint: When you're chopping ingredients, if you're not going to put them in the pan right away, put them on cheap paper plates. A paper plate also makes an excellent spoon rest, saving mess on your counter.

Motherly advice aside, I'm like you. I love the whole process, especially the smiles and satisfied looks on the faces of my friends and loved ones when they enjoy fruits of my labor.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Well... wife cooks like a hurricane and am learning to accept it.
I have 5 spoon rest. She is learning to ask for and use them. I have a lot of ramekins and small bowls all with lids so when we do prep stuff a head of time It gets a lid and goes in the ice box or where ever until needed.
We do have a two bottom sink, with GB so one side has generally has dish water and the other side is recieving whatever is getting dumped at that moment.
This weekend i tried a new trick, Everything that i thought i would use again I ran through the rinse cycle in the dish washer, so I rinsed the mixer bowl, spatulas, serving spoons,and bowls about 5 or 6 times, in 2 hrs, but that just freed up me and counter space for DW to give me more to cook.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Master Chef

I love the process. I have a group of friends who eat together very regularly (either childless like me, or have adult children who no longer eat at home much), and we love it all. Figuring out what to make (we have both a brunch group and freinds who are shut ins who miss more exotic fare so we throw theme parties choosing different ethnic foods, plus we do holiday dinners .... and whenever else we feel like eating). It is great fun.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Yes, it i more or less like a ceremony, lol. That is what I love doing. Cooking, surprising, cooking, surprising. New recipes make me smile ! I don't love washing dishes however, thats what the dish washer is for !
Old 11-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Well... wife cooks like a hurricane and am learning to accept it.
Well, bless her heart. She's expressing her creativity and enjoying herself. I think the two of you make a great team.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Sure, count me in. I have serious issues with portion control when it comes to feeding people I love.
I've been known to pull brioche dough out of the fridge at 4am (mind you, I'd been happily asleep at 3:59am), shape it, go back to bed...only to get up again at 6am to put it into the oven. I love serving warm brioche with homemade jam on cold winter Saturday mornings!

I'm not too crazy about the cleaning up part of your equation, however. I've managed to get around that part of the cleaning more often than not, lately.

What got you started with cooking, anyway? Me..I was a kid, probably no more than 8 or 9 and just loved creating meals and such. It didn't work out too bad for my Mom, either, who returned to the work world when I was 10.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
When we finally do get a house of our own, it will have at least 2 dishwashers in it
Will you give them free room and board??