Foods that are better cold the next day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't eat cold foods originally intended to be eaten hot, generally speaking. I do like cold pizza or chicken, roasted or broasted. Otherwise, I'll make sandwiches from cold meats such as meatloaf (with ketchup - the only time I ever have ketchup), chicken, beef, or ham.

One word-- Meat loaf Sanwiches. ( You can make it one word if you say it while stuffing one in your mouf.)
Was just thinking this might be nicer in a crusty baguette (for contrast of textures) - maybe with some chutney/french mustard and lettuce.

It might not be next day, but those after T-Day dinner sandwiches!:yum: Sandwich bread with lots of mayo, turkey, stuffing/dressing, jellied cranberry, S&P. Ill have two please!:mrgreen:

No ketchup on my meatloaf sandwiches here, either. Just mayo, maybe a little s & p. I don't like ketchup and haven't even bought it for over 20 years.

I use chili sauce for making Thousand Island dressing, and usually have a bottle of cocktail sauce in case anyone wants any for shrimp. For French fries, if anyone wants a dipping sauce, we prefer ranch dressing. :)

+1 on the Thanksgiving sandwiches, as Craig said!

Last edited:
I've never tried mayo on meatloaf, it sounds good though. I'm in the ketchup on meatloaf camp. But then again, I love ketchup on eggs too!

I've been known to eat quiche and frittatas cold. (With ketchup at times.)

Last edited:
I know this won't be a popular choice, but I actually enjoy fish and chips cold, i.e. fish in batter. I tend to eat it with both ketchup and tartare sauce.

Well, yeah...for ham on rye! :LOL:

I guess this is why delis let you pick the condiment you want on your sandwich - or at least the accommodating ones do. If we all liked the same stuff the same way, imagine how dull "creative cooking" would be. ;)

It might not be next day, but those after T-Day dinner sandwiches!:yum: Sandwich bread with lots of mayo, turkey, stuffing/dressing, jellied cranberry, S&P. Ill have two please!:mrgreen:

My son Spike doesn't have to wait for Thanksgiving. He buy turkey breast, stove top stuffing, cranberry sauce packed into a sub roll that is slathered with mayo, and will eat four of them in one sitting. All inhaled with about three very tall glasses of milk. Chocolate is he has the syrup on hand. :angel:

But do you prefer them cold rather than hot/warm?

For me, these foods are just as good cold, or hot, fresh, or leftover:
1. Spaghetti with a flavorful tomato sauce, with mushrooms, chopped onion, my favorite herbs, and it's gotta have large chunks of ground beef. It's great on a plate, fresh from the stove, or with the leftovers the next day made into a sandwich, or grazed upon.

2. Lasagna, same as number one.

3. Meatloaf, as a dinner course, or leftovers, served cold in sandwiches.

4. Mashed rutabagas, that had butter and either a touch of honey, or brown sugar added when hot. Sometimes, I prefer them just above freezing as I find the flavor clean, and refreshing.

5.Fried, or baked chicken pieces.

6. Bacon, crumbled into bits to use as a flavoring/seasoning, must be crispy.

7. Crispy fried chicken skins, again salted and crumbled to add to salads, smashed spuds, etc.

8. Cold turkey slices from a baked turkey (leftovers), and cold dressing to be made into a cold and wonderful sandwich.

9. Leftover hard boiled eggs can be used in cold egg salad, or as deviled eggs, or just sprinkle with salt and eat as a cold, hard-boiled egg, like an Easter Egg.

10. I crave cold pizza sometimes, fold and eat.

11. Cold leftover hot dogs. Don't know why I like them cold as well as hot. I just do.

12. Cold cheese macaroni that is firm and sticks together in clumps.

13. Does cold apple pie leftovers count. I love it hot, with ice cream on the side. But I also enjoy it cold and refreshing, eaten with a little whipped cream, or caramel sauce on top.

12. A well made tomato soup, with a little basil and a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top, served cold, can make a refreshing lunch on a hot day.

13. Cold, leftover fried brook trout, deboned and placed between a couple slices of bread, with a little ketchup is quite tasty.

14. Leftover cook and serve pudding, served cold the next day, with whipped cream incorporated into the pudding to make it light and airy.

15. Cold, leftover BBQ ribs. The hot ones were served up with sauce optional. The cold leftovers, IMHO, must have a rich sauce on them to make them scrumptious.

As you can see, it's simply a matter of mindset, and what the daytime conditions are the next day.

Cold leftovers can really hit the spot with me, especially when it's hot outside, and inside the house.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I really loved this video from Mojo and I want to share it I'd also like to get some feedback from all of you. I seem to be the strange one out in that I want to eat a lot of leftovers cold the next day, instead of ruining them in the microwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6sxIUgn7iE

What foods are better cold then next day?

None are better cold. Some can be okay when cold, but are still better reheated. I can't stand cold pizza or pasta. Nor do I like bacon cold - I only eat BLT sandwiched made fresh.

So, if it's intended to be eaten hot, then I prefer it hot. I use the microwave for things that only need heat, but where the texture won't be much affected. I use the toaster oven for things like pizza.

When I use the microwave, I only do it long enough to get the item warmed through (sometimes just enough to take off the refrigerator chill in the center of meat or chicken). Most issues from microwave reheating usually come from heating too long.

I will add that I like cold hard boiled eggs better than I do hot. I only make them when I intend to put them in the fridge for a quick breakfast of snack.

Last edited:
None are better cold. Some can be okay when cold, but are still better reheated. I can't stand cold pizza or pasta. Nor do I like bacon cold - I only eat BLT sandwiched made fresh.

So, if it's intended to be eaten hot, then I prefer it hot. I use the microwave for things that only need heat, but where the texture won't be much affected. I use the toaster oven for things like pizza.

When I use the microwave, I only do it long enough to get the item warmed through (sometimes just enough to take off the refrigerator chill in the center of meat or chicken). Most issues from microwave reheating usually come from heating too long.

I will add that I like cold hard boiled eggs better than I do hot. I only make them when I intend to put them in the fridge for a quick breakfast of snack.

+1!...

I will add that I like cold chicken and turkey sandwiches, but I consider that repurposing the protein, like making salmon and pasta salad from leftover baked salmon, or chicken salad from roast chicken. But those are intended to be eaten cold, so I don't really count it as quite within the intent of the topic.

I'll go against the grain and say that the only meat loaf sandwich I like is an open faced one with mashed potatoes, all smothered with gravy and served hot. Cold meatloaf is..... not that appetizing.

Ham goes both ways for me, but it's a different sort of meat. Cold I like it with potato salad on the side, or in a sandwich.

Of course, ham on rye, but I actually like my ham on a Kaiser roll better. The best grilled cheese? On white sour dough, really a great texture and flavor combination. Lots of different combination give an entirely new flavor.

No ketchup on my meatloaf sandwiches here, either. Just mayo, maybe a little s & p. I don't like ketchup and haven't even bought it for over 20 years.

I use chili sauce for making Thousand Island dressing, and usually have a bottle of cocktail sauce in case anyone wants any for shrimp. For French fries, if anyone wants a dipping sauce, we prefer ranch dressing. :)

+1 on the Thanksgiving sandwiches, as Craig said!

This is one of 3 things I put ketchup on.

French fries -- a little dab `l do `ya
Meatloaf sammies (submersed)
base for KC BBQ sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom