Foods that are better cold the next day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I really loved this video from Mojo and I want to share it I'd also like to get some feedback from all of you. I seem to be the strange one out in that I want to eat a lot of leftovers cold the next day, instead of ruining them in the microwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6sxIUgn7iE

What foods are better cold then next day?

Last edited:
I think that's a matter of taste. There are no right or wrong answers. I like to warm up certain leftovers (not hot) because I think we perceive flavors better when they're at room temperature than cold.

I also think food can be heated up in the microwave without ruining it. Just put it on a lower power setting so it warms more gently and thoroughly.

But I don't always use the microwave to reheat food. Sometimes the toaster oven works better, like for crusty bread, pizza and fried chicken. Anything that needs to be crispy should be reheated in the toaster oven or regular oven, imo.

"...ruining them in the microwave." is not the only alternative to eating them cold.

I suffered through that whole video and can honestly say I would not prefer any of those foods cold. That's not to say that some of the foods wouldn't be OK cold, just that they would be better hot.

Italian food, lasagna, pizza, pasta, garlic bread all the best COLD! Fried chicken, meatloaf, baked potatoes, mac 'n cheese, yes, I love them cold as well. I wasn't familiar with the Indian dish, and don't care for curry so those I wouldn't know if they are better cold. Pop Tarts, I've never been a fan. I love cold roast beef. You can make so many other dishes using leftover roast. The only thing I can recall reheating recently was beef stew. That is better hot IMO.

I think spaghetti with pesto tastes great cold; the pesto has had time to absorb deep into the pasta and transforms it. :yum: (A sprinkling of parmesan makes it even better!....why stop there - you could add some toasted pine nuts too!)

Gotta say pop tarts sound disgusting ... cold or hot!

Last edited:
Italian food, lasagna, pizza, pasta, garlic bread all the best COLD! Fried chicken, meatloaf, baked potatoes, mac 'n cheese, yes, I love them cold as well. I wasn't familiar with the Indian dish, and don't care for curry so those I wouldn't know if they are better cold. Pop Tarts, I've never been a fan. I love cold roast beef. You can make so many other dishes using leftover roast. The only thing I can recall reheating recently was beef stew. That is better hot IMO.

But do you prefer them cold rather than hot/warm?

I love Spaghetti and Pesto cold.... also love it warm too!
I love Pop Tarts Cold.
I love my muffins cold.
I am one of those people who will eat hot food hot and cold food cold.
For example if I have leftovers, I usually reheat everything thoroughly.
I love pizza cold though!
When my microwave broke, I found out left over chicken parm is good at room temp.

I think spaghetti with pesto tastes great cold; the pesto has had time to absorb deep into the pasta and transforms it. :yum: (A sprinkling of parmesan makes it even better!....why stop there - you could add some toasted pine nuts too!)

Gotta say pop tarts sound disgusting ... cold or hot!

I would never even heat pesto. For me, it's one of those things that is best at room temperature. I like to put chopped fresh tomatoes or roasted red peppers on top for added color and flavor.

Why are you hating on Pop Tarts? :LOL: Can't remember the last time I had one, but they're just jelly-filled pastry with frosting on top.

DH eats all leftovers straight out of the fridge. He can't be bothered to waste 60 seconds to warm them up.

I prefer hot foods to be hot.

Pop tarts, to me, taste like extra sweet jam sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard and covered with a layer of Elmer's glue. I haven't had them in a very long time, maybe they've gotten better.

Last edited:
I purposely make pasta/noodle salads that start out hot, to have cold for several meals. When the pasta is hot, it absorbs the dressing better!;)

I purposely make pasta/noodle salads that start out hot, to have cold for several meals. When the pasta is hot, it absorbs the dressing better!;)

I do that with most pasta salads, but I draw the line at pesto ;) I just think heating pesto ruins it. I don't know why, I just do :LOL:

Can it make a sandwich to take to work or school? Then I will eat it cold. Anything that is breaded never heats up very well in the micro. I will pass on cold pizza. I am not a bread eater so I usually scrape off the toppings after my third or fourth slice of hot pizza. The crust goes to the side, I eat just the toppings.

Cold pasta? Nah, I don't think so. I think a lot of that list was comprised of foods that a person with a hangover would eat first thing in the morning. I once asked my husband why he wanted to eat anything out of the fridge first thing in the morning. "To get rid of that fuzzy feeling in my mouth." :angel:

Oh yes....meat loaf sandwiches! That's the main reason I make meat loaf. :LOL: :yum:
I like cold fried chicken, can tolerate pizza cold, but I'd rather put it in a frying pan so at least the crust crisps up. I like cold pasta if it was made to be cold, like in a salad. Even then I like most things to set out just a bit so they're not straight-from-the-fridge cold.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom