"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Senior Cook

you know, GB, I have lived with a British man for six years. He always mentions 'fish and chips'. says we can't even come close. Jelly here confounds him. He won't touch it. And when his parents come over at Christmas time, his mum cooks the most amazing meals! I had never had a standing rib roast until 5 years ago and now I cannot bear to eat a plain old pot roast (the stringy roast my mom always made in the crock!!)

I might mention he is not particular about tea being in a bag. He buys PG tips brand from "The Taste of Britain" in norcross, Ga and that makes him quite happy! "I'll have a cup of rosy, dahling" he says!!!

Oh, the sausages and bacon. Can't forget to mention those. We have to buy both at the british import store as well. Says the stuff here is crap! So there you go, that's all I can think of now. I'll ask him when he gets home from work!

Having said that, he always tells me there is nothing there to make him ever go back to live...visit maybe, but not live! So maybe the cuisine isn't such a big deal!!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
Senior Cook

oh yeah! this is funny...about the wine...listen, these folks will drink it. if it comes in a bottle that says 'wine', then down it goes and don't waste 1 drop, thank you very much!! I could never keep up with them! and don't be pouring no half a glass...nuh uh! fill 'er up to the brim! I am being totally serious! Now they love the good stuff and always bring over a couple of bottles of nice wine...but they aren't picky, they'll drink what you put out quite happily!!

Old 02-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I agree with Jenny. I am married to a brit and lived there for a few years.

for sure they have us beat on:
sausages
bacon
baked beans in a tin (Heinz) for beans on toast

for fast food:
fish & chips
donner kebabs

there are a few other things we miss, but these are the big things available here that don't even begin to compare.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I don't say that our food is 'better' than that I've eaten in the USA - only different!

I don't like your 'bacon' or your 'sausages'...

Our proximity to mainland Europe and cheap and easy travel there means that we know good ethnic foods, first hand... pizzas and pasta dishes from Italy. French dishes, even German (at a push!)....

I think that Americans 'approximate' the dishes that they think are European.

When I read that someone here puts TWO POUNDS of ricotta in a lasagne...!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #15
Everymom

Don't Americans have Heinz beans? I had no idea. Those are my all time favourites.

As for the bacon, I am not quite clear on the difference. Ishbel, if you are still here would you consider taking a stab at elaborating? Or Jenny? Sounds like you have both sampled both.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Don't Americans have Heinz beans? I had no idea. Those are my all time favourites.

As for the bacon, I am not quite clear on the difference. Ishbel, if you are still here would you consider taking a stab at elaborating? Or Jenny? Sounds like you have both sampled both.
well, let me give it a go,

re: the heinz beans. nope, can only get in specialty stores. Nothing we have really comes close, Hubby does like the Bush's vegetarian style beans now so I am saving on the imported heinz, whew!!

as for the bacon, Dave is here to describe the difference for us...go on Dave!

British is thicker ( somewhat similar to canadian style) and is cured differently. The taste is nothing even close to US bacon. Basically very hard to describe, but tasting is believing!

So there you have it, Alix! I grew up on the smokey flavored bacon that is thin and crispy, or salt ham and UK bacon is nothing like either. Sorry, that's the best I can do! (I prefer our bacon, but shhhh, don't tell!! )

Old 02-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #17
Everymom

Well thanks! I guess I am grateful to live in Canada where I can get the best of both worlds. LOL! I tasted Bush's beans once...blech! Heinz (formerly Libby's) kick their heiney. And add in some chopped up cocktail smokies and you have my idea of heaven. (Ken is always most distressed when he sees the tin though...not sure why! )
Old 02-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Well thanks! I guess I am grateful to live in Canada where I can get the best of both worlds. LOL! I tasted Bush's beans once...blech! Heinz (formerly Libby's) kick their heiney. And add in some chopped up cocktail smokies and you have my idea of heaven. (Ken is always most distressed when he sees the tin though...not sure why! )
Bless him, I bet he is!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 07:43 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Like Lefse, having lived in Italy for 3 years now I could point out tons of misunderstanding/miscoception about Italian food that created abroad, but I choose not to get into that too much here, also I already discussed some of the differences in this thread.

IMO if what you cook/eat/are used to taste good to you and you and your family enjoy them, then there is nothing wrong with that.

I think the real issue here is to realise that certain things are purely new creations apart from the authentic recipe, ...like chicken parmigiano is not exactly a real Italian fare, or chicken curry made with coconut milk shouldn't be called "Korma" (something I learned from Yakuta recently...) ... and respect the difference, and not to confuse one from the other. The problem in this subject is that some people would consider things from California Pizza Kitchen or Olive Garden "Italian", or call anything that is made with tomato sauce and cheese "Italian", that's the only thing that bothers me.

Having said that it is an universal problem I believe, not with just American folks, I found the similar problem exist here in Italy when you try some exotic fare. It is at times difficult to recreate the true authentic recipe when you are left without proper ingredients, cooking tools or traditional background.

I know the curries, fajitas, stroganoffs, falafels etc. etc. that I make don't follow the traditional recipe exactly, so I always make sure to mention to anyone to whom I serve them that there are a little modifications and not out and out authentic. That is one thing I can do at least to have a consideration towards true authentic fares.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
My grocery store actually has a little section for British foods. Heinz beans are among the few things they offer. What is the difference between those and say Bush's? For some reason the can has always put me off. It just is not an appealing looking can so I always thought the contents would be gross. Looks like I will have to give them a shot now

Closed Thread